New Scriveners is up

For anything to do with Tony Martin - Get This, Martin/Molloy, Lolly Scramble, fan mail...

Moderator: ShitScared

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:36 pm

Yep, I endorse the sales method. It emails you a link and then you can download it in all of the formats. Nice work!

I think the pages are A5 maybe though? They look quite smallish, so probably not the best for printing out. Maybe if you printed two pages side by side on one?
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:06 pm

Don't forget, the site isn't that clear. You have to check your email after you've paid. The site doesn't explain this, and I was a bit confused at first and a couple of other people have said they were too, so I just thought I'd mention it.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

Big Props
Champagne Comedian

Post by Big Props » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:19 am

Dear Editor,

I'd hate to be cynical, but you know with all this new age stuff..... Let me see if i got this correct.

You can "Buy" a PDF file of all the stories that were previously available, for "Free", on the Scriveners Fancy website...?

If that's the case, i don't get it... Is this Technology gone mad?

Baffled
Co. Meath.
Aristotelie Xtrios Findolopolu

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:41 am

It's $6! You liked him The Two Tones! He did that gratis. Pay him for that instead then! Come on BP! Tony's been doing tonnes of unpaid work.
- Jacques Derrida

plattopus
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by plattopus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:50 pm

You're right, Australia's greatest comedy writer should never expect people to pay money for 464 pages of comedy gold. And a whopping six dollars! IT'S AN OUTRAGE!

Bought the e-Book yesterday and everything worked fine as far as the download mechanics, etc. Looks like the PDF is optimised for mobile reading, which I hear is all the rage these days.

Big Props
Champagne Comedian

Post by Big Props » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:45 am

$6.00 is not the point.

I'd send him $40+ for an actual book right now (remember them) and probably $65.00+ for a signed copy, (Could you make it out to grumpy-expat-tight-arse-technophobe, please.) to read at my lesuire and anywhere i choose.

I'd even pay $6.00 for a Scriveners Fancy Bookmark or a Bumper Sticker.

Reading pages at length on a PC is irritating and i'm not "in" with the Kindle, iPhone or Starbucks laptop reading Hipsters either.

As for buying something i'm never going to read, as a way of saying thanks for other things i have enjoyed by that artist..... Hmmmm...

I hope Tony does well with catering for these new markets, they're just not for me...

plattopus
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by plattopus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:31 am

Big Props wrote:Reading pages at length on a PC is irritating and i'm not "in" with the Kindle, iPhone or Starbucks laptop reading Hipsters either.
So then you've made the (appropriate, given the circumstances) choice not to buy it. I fail to see what the problem is, or why you should be complaining. No one is forcing you to buy it... that's generally how the market works.

Myself and the other hipsters can happily read our Scrivener's eBooks at our leisure, without you ever having to feel threatened by this newfangled technology or our ironic glasses.

Big Props
Champagne Comedian

Post by Big Props » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:23 pm

I'll leave it there..

I don't want my contribution , and the remainder of this thread, to be cluttered with responses and counter responses, that are percieved as an "Apparent" attack on Tony Martin's work at the Scriveners Fancy.

ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:33 pm

If it helps, Big Props, as per my pervious post, I'd prefer a physical paperback print version that I can try and squash in my bag and fold the corners of the page with.

I have bought a copy of Scarcely Relevant. Maybe this might push me to buy an e-reader... maybe not. I just like holding a paper format version that I can spill coffee on and dry in the sun, able to read through the coffee patches. Not that there's anything wrong with e-readers, I just don't feel like getting one right now. Just not comfortable with converting as yet.

Just like how I hesitated with jumping to blu-ray. I have over 300 DVDs. Didn't have an interest in buying a blu-ray player. But as soon as I bought a PS3 and stopped using it to play games, I rented a blu-ray movie because it was all out on DVD, it converted me. But Blu-Ray for movies only for me. Refuse to convert my TV shows over to blu-ray as yet.
Blog
Now with EXTRA teabagging.
VALE Ricky M

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:34 pm

ShitScared wrote:pervious
SS was that a Freudian slip? :)

I have the constant issue of having to read articles and there's a lot of them for me to read, so I have to physically print them out. I need to research so much stuff I sort of need a geographical location so when I go to put an essay together I can just assemble the puzzle. I don't know if I'll ever get used to reading things online or in electronic form myself either. Reading a book seems an organic thing to us, there are others saying "this is cool, I can read this on my phone" though.

The most frustrating thing is kindle DRM and stuff like that, you can't even print the damned thing out, which is why I was glad to see the book was available in PDF because at least you could print that. With other books I've bought, you can't even do that because of the DRM!
- Jacques Derrida