Martin - Molloy: Just to let you know

For anything to do with Tony Martin - Get This, Martin/Molloy, Lolly Scramble, fan mail...

Moderator: ShitScared

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Martin - Molloy: Just to let you know

Post by baudrillard » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:26 am

Sorry folks, I said I'd not make another thread about it, but this will indeed be the final one ever.

If you're a lurker here and not a signed up member to the forum, I just thought I'd let you know that you'll find a couple of hundred, I think, and counting, episodes of Martin - Molloy in full (mostly) in the Members Only section.

I just thought I might post something in the TM thread so that those people who frequent the forum but aren't signed up as members know that they exist as I'm back to uploading more episodes again. I just wanted to make sure the word was out there to fans of Tony - I know that people aren't so keen on Mick these days, but there's plenty of TM gold in them there hills, and I just thought there may be some of you who possibly weren't aware of them being here.

I started a facebook page a year or two ago and the number of downloads jumped from about 30 per episode to over 100 per episode and there's about 80+ members of the facebook page. So I thought maybe there were people who were unnecessarily missing out on some ye olde TM gold.

(The earlier episodes are a bit rough around the edges as I wasn't EQing and removing the hiss back then but since then have rectified that situation, and there are some that I need to re-do as the tape player I was originally using was old and unnecessarily resulted in tape warp on playing - I will go back and fix those up at some stage in the future.)

My sincere apologies to everyone else - especially the moderators of the forum, who have, over the years seen me create a number of threads about this, and to everyone else who thinks the shows are too dated to get the references, but there's actually still a lot of references that make sense - at least from the political angle as in the second year of Martin - Molloy, until the end of Get This, the country was under the tyranny of the dishonourable little Johnny Howard, so there is at least some continuity there that keeps reminding me of this horrible historical fact as I digitise more and more of them. (There's plenty of jokes at Kim Beazley's expense also as it was the start of his era as head of the labour party and the end of Paul Keating's in early 1996.)

I was even thinking of doing what I used to and edit the sketches together so that fans of Tony could just get a dose of TM's work, as - when I started to make compilation tapes of the sketches way... way... back when - I noticed how much more prominently Tony appeared in them in proportion to Mick, and just wanted people who are avid Get This fans to not be put off by the presence of Mick if they're not a fan of his.

Let me know if there's interest in TM only sketches and I'll see what I can do to get around to start splicing the Tony Martin (and maybe the Pete Smith?) sketches together into files. But you'll still find plenty of TM type humour in the shows, just there of course is the absence of the work of Mr. Ed Kavalee and of course the late, great, Richard Marsland.

Anyway, sorry to those of you who are sick of seeing me flog these shows in the members only part of the forum, and to everyone else who may have been put off them for one reason or another, or just aren't members and didn't know of their existence on the forum or the facebook page.

I just thought that I'd let the younger listeners out there who loved Get This and were too young for Martin - Molloy, and aren't signed up members, so can't see the Members Only part of the forum, know that they're there and will continue to be going up over the.... (sorry I don't want to speculate as to how long exactly it's going to take me to get the rest of 1996, 1997 and 1998 done)... duration.

Maybe it will help some of you with the cruelly untimely axing of Get This, or maybe it will get me a nasty letter/call from Austereo (fingers crossed that it doesn't), and help to some minor degree with the absence of Get This, and just to let people know there's still plenty of older TM gold out there that some of you may not have yet discovered.

All the best guys, and I hope that this is seen as a good public service announcement and not merely another irritating thread created by me. Sorry to all if it causes any offense to anyone and is seen as me shamelessly plugging the show/episodes, as it's not the more recent work of TM's and for some doesn't hold a candle to his later work on Get This with Mr. Ed Kavalee and the great Marslando.

I'll probably be trying to sort out server space at some point with Snatto's help, and Ontos has already created a great template for a website for the show which already includes the full episode descriptions as people have been contributing to writing those up.

All the best guys, and I sincerely hope this isn't considered an unnecessary waste of a thread in this high-traffic area of the forum.

Oh and to younger listeners, if you want any of the references explained as of course, due to the topical nature of the comedy, the references may be dated to the point that they aren't familiar to you at all, post a question and I'll be only to happy to give some context to the references. Cheers everyone! and sorry for yet another lengthy post.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

lagerdalek
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by lagerdalek » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:55 am

No apologies required, well done!

And if you need webspace, all you need to do is ask! I've got a bucket load!
http://www.purehumbug.com

An elaborate ruse involving pillows.

kabigon
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by kabigon » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:44 am

baudrillard wrote:If you're a lurker here and not a signed up member to the forum, I just thought I'd let you know that you'll find a couple of hundred, I think, and counting, episodes of Martin - Molloy in full (mostly) in the Members Only section.
151 as of this morning according to my calculations :) It doesn't feel like that many because they fly past so quickly when you're listening to them.

If anyone's worried about not getting the references / not enjoying the show, I was 11 when the show wrapped up and it's only behind Get This for talking audio as far as I'm concerned.

snausages
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by snausages » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:35 am

Bauds

Fantastic effort and thanks for your hard work

If there is enough demand for a TM edit I for one would certainly be interested. Mick's blokey humor has always ranked way behind Tony's cerebral humor for mine. So much so I often find listening to Mick annoying.

But if there isn't the demand don't worry

And I wouldn't worry about austereo. I think they have enough on thier plates!

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:19 am

Well I've always presumed that the shows are actually copyrighted to Tony and Mick as the end tag-line of Half-Baked Ideas and Ill-Conceived Concepts Pty. Ltd. - I thought it was most likely the real company name that they produced them under at the time considering how Get This - I'm not sure about Tough Love - was indeed, as Austereo complained, independently produced by TM and therefore not really subject to their editorial(?) demands. I mean, when I think about it, it solely could be a joke, but I certainly wouldn't put it past them to have actually had that as their company name(s)... Hmm...

Anyway, sorry for any extra unnecessary clutter I've put on the site by posting this, it was probably not really required as all the people who are interested probably know of their existence already, either through here or through the fb page, but I just thought maybe there were some Get This fans who weren't registered members who may not know about them and thought it might be worth just putting a message out on the non-Members Only part of the forum to say that they're here in case any of those who are unregistered had missed them. I was considering a more low-key post in the Anything Goes area but as they're TM related I guess I thought this would be the more appropriate place to put a post.

Cheers guys.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

jabbid111
Muckraker

Post by jabbid111 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea that someone had posted his older work online (only been lurking here for a few months). I'll definitely go check them out! Thanks.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Cheers jabbid111, I'm only too glad that my creating yet another thread about this has actually paid off in that it has done its intended job and reached someone who's on the forum but whom wasn't a registered member and didn't know about it.

Thanks man, I don't feel quite so silly about making this thread now! :)
- Jacques Derrida

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:36 am

baudrillard wrote: I thought it was most likely the real company name that they produced them under at the time considering how Get This - I'm not sure about Tough Love -
Tough Love was produced by Molloy Boys, in case you wondering.
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball

plattopus
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by plattopus » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:18 am

Starting from scratch, what's the easiest way to get all the previously uploaded episodes? Are they anywhere other than Facebook?

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:35 am

They're all in the folders on mediafire as linked to in this thread.
showthread.php?p=56368

However, I am in the process of reupping some of the expired links though at the moment.

And for some reason the Summer Edition episodes at the end of 1995 aren't there at the moment. But they're all contained in those folders - except the ones that have expired, which I should be putting up again later today thanks to the help and careful cross-checking by kabigon.
- Jacques Derrida