MARTIN/MOLLOY vs GET THIS

For anything to do with Tony Martin - Get This, Martin/Molloy, Lolly Scramble, fan mail...

Moderator: ShitScared

Martin Molloy or Get This?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:42 pm

Get This
30%
Get This
70%

Total votes: 33

luckyphill73
Muckraker

Post by luckyphill73 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:40 pm

I am curious just to put this out there and see what eventuates. I am interested to see what people gravitate to and why.....

So the question is this............

Which in your opinion was the better radio show and why?

Your reasons can be anything, it does not just need to address specifically the content.....

But please don't try to be the Devil's Advocate. I want to see people pick one and state why. At the end of the day we all know both shows were gold, just interested to see what people think..

To kick things off, I will put my money where my mouth is!

Martin Molloy

For me these guys had a natural chemistry. And whilst having many similiar passions in common, fart gags, taking the piss out of Michael Jackson, Pamlea Anderson's breasts (the list goes on), they were a perfect balance for each other with their own styles of comedy.

I loved listening to them on the way home in the car, and no matter how crap of a day I had at work, they never ceased to make me laugh out loud and at times almost piss myself laughing. I can recall at least two times where I had almost run up the back of another car because I was laughing too much.

Throw in to the mix Gracey, Pete Smith, Paul Hester's regular appearances, and the various members of the Late Show wandering in from time to time, made for just nothing but fun and entertainment. Being a drive time slot meant it was a perfect way to end the day.

Being in my early to mid 20's at the time, I can fondly recall many a discussion down the pub or pool hall about what we had heard during the week and continuing the laughs into the weekend.

The segments such as Shoot The Celebrity In The Arse, Radio Gladiators, Nutbags were all examples of two blokes laid back approach to humour and were something that the listener could invest themselves in for two hours each night and just have fun.

Apart from the obvious, Tony and Mick's relationship, it would be awesome to relive that once again. Would it work today? Not sure. Are some things best remembered and not reincarnated? Perhaps so.

Needless to say, it was a great show to hear first hand and a great time in my own life.

luckyphill73
Muckraker

Post by luckyphill73 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:40 pm

I am curious just to put this out there and see what eventuates. I am interested to see what people gravitate to and why.....

So the question is this............

Which in your opinion was the better radio show and why?

Your reasons can be anything, it does not just need to address specifically the content.....

But please don't try to be the Devil's Advocate. I want to see people pick one and state why. At the end of the day we all know both shows were gold, just interested to see what people think..

To kick things off, I will put my money where my mouth is!

Martin Molloy

For me these guys had a natural chemistry. And whilst having many similiar passions in common, fart gags, taking the piss out of Michael Jackson, Pamlea Anderson's breasts (the list goes on), they were a perfect balance for each other with their own styles of comedy.

I loved listening to them on the way home in the car, and no matter how crap of a day I had at work, they never ceased to make me laugh out loud and at times almost piss myself laughing. I can recall at least two times where I had almost run up the back of another car because I was laughing too much.

Throw in to the mix Gracey, Pete Smith, Paul Hester's regular appearances, and the various members of the Late Show wandering in from time to time, made for just nothing but fun and entertainment. Being a drive time slot meant it was a perfect way to end the day.

Being in my early to mid 20's at the time, I can fondly recall many a discussion down the pub or pool hall about what we had heard during the week and continuing the laughs into the weekend.

The segments such as Shoot The Celebrity In The Arse, Radio Gladiators, Nutbags were all examples of two blokes laid back approach to humour and were something that the listener could invest themselves in for two hours each night and just have fun.

Apart from the obvious, Tony and Mick's relationship, it would be awesome to relive that once again. Would it work today? Not sure. Are some things best remembered and not reincarnated? Perhaps so.

Needless to say, it was a great show to hear first hand and a great time in my own life.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:47 pm

I hate to wonder it but besides the chemistry between the three of them, I wonder if it was the ability for them to all be on or off the same page at the same time and it be improvised. Martin-Molloy is the opposite in that it is a testament to scripting and Get This! to Tony being able to be surprised himself by what he'd put together. Still Get This! had sketches so there was some scripting still.

Tony's such a geek, and I personally can't even enjoy Mick's material in it's current form as it is entirely sports related. When the two topics were balanced out I found it funny, but I can't separately. Tony got to nerd it up as much as possible without any boundaries. Then there's the matter of the sorts of things Ed made prominent... :mrgreen:

So I know which one I imagine Tony himself and most people would be happier with because it's the one Tony got to do his thing himself entirely the most on - the way he did with BTC - and allow for Ed and Richard to do their own thing, Get This. But then again they were younger and more in control with Martin-Molloy. I guess besides differences and similarities of process, they had a less towering figure in Dobbo because they were pretty much pioneering the ground for quality radio that peaked until Tony and Mick returned to radio. I have similar memories to it that you do, except I was taping it at the time too because of its sheer damn bloody importance to preserve for all of humanity. Or rather, "one pissed bloke". And the rest of the time a weekend listener during the week. Oh being at university.

(I wasn't a huge fan of Tough Love because it lacked Tony, but Mick seemed funny as ever to me personally, and we did have Alan Brough even writing sketches at least for the first year. But after he left, it somehow didn't work for me on too many levels and it'l always be a regret they couldn't have just gone back to doing a show together when Tony made the move back to radio, despite the cast and crew already assembled for Tough Love. Mick'd already made the move back and set up a template and Tony was from what I've read him say still working on film projects at the time from memory.)

I read Tony tweet yesterday that Ed's setting up a podcast in case anyone missed it.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:26 pm

I hate to wonder it but besides the chemistry between the three of them, I wonder if it was the ability for them to all be on or off the same page at the same time and it be improvised. Martin-Molloy is the opposite in that it is a testament to scripting and Get This! to Tony being able to be surprised himself by what he'd put together. Still Get This! had sketches so there was some scripting still.

Tony's such a geek, and I personally can't even enjoy Mick's material in it's current form as it is entirely sports related. When the two topics were balanced out I found it funny, but I can't separately. Tony got to nerd it up as much as possible without any boundaries. Then there's the matter of the sorts of things Ed made prominent...

So I know which one I imagine Tony himself and most people would be happier with because it's the one Tony got to do his thing himself entirely the most on - the way he did with BTC - and allow for Ed and Richard to do their own thing, Get This.

But then again they were younger and more in control with Martin-Molloy. I guess besides differences and similarities of process, they had a less towering figure in Dobbo because they were pretty much pioneering the ground for quality radio that peaked until Tony and Mick returned to radio. I have similar memories to it that you do, except I was taping it at the time too because of its sheer damn bloody importance to preserve for all of humanity. Or rather, "one pissed bloke". And the rest of the time a weekend listener during the week. Oh being at university. But that's nostalgia I've got to be fair to that tainting my opinion at times.

(I wasn't a huge fan of Tough Love because it lacked Tony, but Mick seemed funny as ever to me personally, and we did have Alan Brough even writing sketches at least for the first year. But after he left, it somehow didn't work for me on too many levels and it'l always be a regret they couldn't have just gone back to doing a show together when Tony made the move back to radio, despite the cast and crew already assembled for Tough Love. Mick'd already made the move back and set up a template and Tony was from what I've read him say still working on film projects at the time from memory.)

I read Tony tweet yesterday that Ed's setting up a podcast in case anyone missed it.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:48 pm

Get This for me, for more sentimental reasons, even though the its quality is gold.
I was 7-11 years of age when M/M was on, and I was too young to get the jokes also I only heard it occasionally, when I did it was the best-of shows on Saturday mornings and only if I happened to be somewhere that had the Fox on (I recall listening to it in a waiting room at a doctors surgery). My parents were Triple M listeners, so I was stuck listening to the Grill Team most afternoons, which I remember several times not being on the air because they had said something that required the show to be suspended (but they would play the offending piece of audio, preceded by the program director apologising and explaining why the show wasn't going to air). But we're not here to discuss Dermott Brereton, Bridget Duclose or Eddie Maguire.

Get This on the other hand started when I was 18 and I was generally loving life. I had a job that didn't require my services until 10am, so I was able to listen to it in 2006 without issue. On the odd occasion that I missed the show (generally from sleeping in from the big nights that an 18 year old with a casual job has) I would stream the Adelaide Triple M feed and listen in the afternoon (this was before I discovered this site and found out that Podcasts weren't strictly for people who owned iPods). Get This in it's second year (the 11am-1pm slot) was the only thing I had to look forward to in my day, as I had swapped jobs into a field that I LOATHED and I was pretty much unapproachable when the show was on, but I stuck with the job because I was allowed to listen to the radio during the day.
With my sentimental nonsense out of the way, content-wise I still give it to Get This, as it marks literally the only time I've ever heard discussion about my favourite comic book run ever (Kevin Smith's run on Green Arrow is brought up in the Kevin Smith episode). I still remember all of the things that they make reference to: Gaelan from Big Brother; Otto Pfister; The Beaconsfield mining disaster; Steve Irwin's death, whereas I have no idea who Chrichton-Brown was, or why there was a French boycott on Bastille Day (I do know that it had to nuclear bomb tests).
And the chemistry in Get This was far more organic, and Ed being from an improv background really worked out better for it. Mick was great, but he seems to need to be scripted and that can be heard in the cds. Ed and Ricky M were always great off the cuff, just listen to Tony and Ed talking about the crazy salesmen (Car City eyes I think the track is called) on An Illegal Download, it's mind-blowing how hilarious it is, all just made up on the spot (unless it wasn't, then it's a fantastic piece of acting). Ricky M being a fantastic sketch writer helped that show out as well,the Bob Dylan parody is one of my favourite things ever, and Tony seeing that and bringing it to the fore was the icing on an almost-perfect aural cake.

Sorry to waffle on.
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball

Ontos
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by Ontos » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:01 pm

Both shows are superb, and I'm so glad that so much effort has gone into preserving both shows, especially MM being that I didn't get a chance to hear it when it was on the air. But being a nerd GT just appeals to me more. I relate more to the things they talked about on GT, as well as it taking place then I was 16/17 and beginning to know about politics and current affairs in a lot more detail. I think have probably formed an unhealthy attachment to GT. Where MM gets bonus points for Pete Smith GT gets x2 bonus points for Ricky M, I love his comedy and was such a great addition to the show. The three of them together seemed such a great fit (Mick and Tone fit well together too) but with GT it felt like I was listening to friends talking about nerdy stuff that I would talk about, with kick arse sketches thrown in the middle.

I know there's a big difference between someone dying and two people having a fight. But Ignoring those things I know I love GT more because thinking about Mick and Tone never doing anything together again is a disappointment, but thinking about Tony, Ed, and Richard never doing anything together again makes me so very sad
and calling it policy!

hegartez
Commercial Crimestopper

Post by hegartez » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:15 am

Gawd- tough question! One thing I love about MM is the sort of "old married couple thing" (like Roy & HG in old days) they have where there's those moments when one or the other has no real idea where they are supposed to be going but have enough shared history to work it out as they go. GT always feels more controlled by TM but then there's the extrordinary way he seems to develop Ed & Ricky over time.

That said, the final ep of GT is my all time favourite podcast & runs the dead parrot sketch close in comedy overall. Echo Ontos re Marsland- for some reason thinking of him as the ducks slowly fade...

ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:00 am

I related to Get This more than Martin/Molloy.
Blog
Now with EXTRA teabagging.
VALE Ricky M

Pete Hill (not Smith)
Muckraker

Post by Pete Hill (not Smith) » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:31 pm

I found this difficult but in the end my gut told me to go with Get This. I love Martin/Molloy and it had a lot of classic moments. But speaking personally, I thought Tony Martin seemed more at ease on GT, he seemed to fit in better and was able to be himself and let his own humour show through. There were times I thought he was a little 'forced' on MM and that the material was a little 'blokey'.
I also feel that you could sense the pressure that TM was under whilst working on MM, and occasionally the strain would show- it was like there was this constant 'must-create-laughs, must-create-laughs, there's heaps of Uni-students stuck in peak-hour traffic who are listening to us so we must-create-laughs'.
On GT, I thought Tony was more assured, more able to be comfortable in his own skin. Put simply, Tony Martin was allowed to be Tony Martin. The humour could be quirkier, gentler, more subtle and, most importantly, more nerdy. Such an approach could easily have become very self-indulgent but Tony's incredible work-ethic kept that well and truly at bay. Tony & Co could talk about 1960s Batman without having to divert into the beer-and-trakky-daks humour of Mick Molloy.
As TM said to Justin Hamilton last year, MM ended on a high note because both he and Molloy were simply 'knackered'.
The tragedy of GT was that the show ended when it had the potential and energy to keep going and to continue to develop. But GT was an abberation (albeit a wonderful one) in the stream-lined, rule-confined world of Australian commercial radio. It was never going to last, not when there were all too many radio hosts who were only too happy to play by the rules- Battle of the Sexes must be at 8.15, play Pink at least twice an hour, mention the sponsors at least once every ten minutes, try and mention the words Underbelly and Masterchef at least twelve times per show, hire a giggling blonde who can pose in Zoo Magazine, try and interview Roberta Williams at least once a week etc etc.
As one contributor on Tumbleweeds.com has already pointed out, the sad fact is that, despite all the criticism and flak Triple M received when they axed GT, no other radio station offered to take it up. Not even the ABC where you now require a degree in safe, comfortable, sit-on-the-fence political correctness 101 before you can be an announcer.
To use an Ed Kavalee food analogy, GT was like when you open a bag of chips and there's always that one little dark brown chip some-where in the packet, having just popped up amongst all the blandly yellow ones. Its un-usual but somehow its more memorable and stays longer on your taste buds.

Pete
Finally I walked the streets of Bexhill at night disguised as a human man.....

luckyphill73
Muckraker

Post by luckyphill73 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:35 pm

Well this has been very interesting so far.

Mind you I am very much starting to feel my age now, knowing I was the same age when listening to MM, as some of the people were listening to GT. Perhaps this wasn't such a good idea after all? lol

Please keep the opinions coming and don't forget to vote!