Memories of classic Martin Molloy sketches

For anything to do with Tony Martin - Get This, Martin/Molloy, Lolly Scramble, fan mail...

Moderator: ShitScared

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Memories of classic Martin Molloy sketches

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:36 am

It's good to have these memories since Mick and Tony have had a massive falling out, and it could well be a while before they speak to one another again.

Remember these sketches from Martin Molloy?

I think one of these was on The Brown Album. I'll have to borrow my brother's copy and check.

During the first year of Martin Molloy, there were sketches called (I think) The Money Show, which was a take off of the AFL Footy Show. Panellists talked about money and economic issues, but with Footy Show style banter. They sounded like footballers instead of economists.

The compere of The Money Show (based on Eddie McGuire), would bounce remarks off a regular called ‘Smacker’ McDougall (based on Sam Newman).

‘Smacker’ McDougall made remarks like “If they had any more frozen assets, they’d be lonely.”

and

“I reckon that interest rate is a bit of a cretin.”

The replies from the host were ‘I’m not touching that”, and “I’m not letting that one go through to the keeper!”

Baywatch with Shakespearian dialogue.

For example; “Hark! Do I spy a fair maiden in distress among the swirling oceans?”

Another sketch;

Tony entered a cave and discovered a chest.

When he opened the chest, there was a sound effect of rushing wind, and the music score from the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark when the Ark of the Covenant is opened begins to play as the theme song from The Nanny is heard inside the chest.

This carries on as Tony Martin says “No, no. Make it stop!”:-D

Comedians seem to be a sensitive bunch, but the journalist in me thinks that there is more to Mick and Tone's rift than was reported in the press.

Who knows?
".....that's what's ahead here on Martin Molloy; the only radio show with an inner core of sphagnum."

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:07 am

One of the many, many bits of Martin / Molloy I wish I could hear again was the segement where Mick read out David Copperfield's press release, only replacing the word 'magician' with 'poof' (or somesuch - that's why I need to hear it again). And there were an awful lot of references to what a great magician Copperfield was in that press release.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

rdmcphee
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by rdmcphee » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:28 pm

Tony Martin once did a sketch where John Howard appeared on Neighbours. The premise was that someone in the federal government had the idea of using soapie storylines as a way of promoting government policies to the public, such as welfare reform. In Tony's words, leading Australia forward with a bold vision of yesteryear.

John Howard arrives at the Lassiter's cafe, orders a Chiko Roll and a lime spider, and sits down to lunch with Toadie. "Have you heard about the Common Youth Allowance?" That's all I remember, I'm afraid.
Actor Melvyn Hayes and stars of the Carry On films.

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Memories of classic Martin Molloy Sketches

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:39 pm

An addendum to my previous posting on this topic..

I'm sure that there was another sketch about the APEC summit. Bill Clinton and John Howard (both played by Tony) went to McDonald's for lunch.

John Howard ordered a Junior Burger, a small lemonade and a box of McDonald land cookies.

A restaurant called Testy Pete's.

To get an idea of how this sketch worked, just think of all the rules about good customer service, and reverse them.

Treat customers like even their smallest, most simple request is an inconvenience.
For example, when a customer places their order with the waiter, they are really testy, and reply, "Oh, I suppose so!!"

Just to show that I'm not totally biased in favour of Tony's work on Martin Molloy, I enjoyed most of Mick's too.

Remember the character Haughty Mick?

Mick's mother's day sketch where Mick comes home, and dumps a bucket of KFC in front of his Mum for her special Mother's Day tea?

I think this began with Mick coming home, and complaining about the meal he was served by his mother.

"What is this? (Spit, spit, spit) I come home after a hard day at the pinny parlour, and you expect me to eat this?!"

Mick mentions in the sketch that Mother's Day is a day when one shows how much they appreciate their mother, and they do things that their Mother will enjoy.

He then took her out to wrestling when she had thought she was being taken to see Beauty and the Beast. Mick's poor Mum sits there while Mick shouts, "Go on, kick him in the head!"
".....that's what's ahead here on Martin Molloy; the only radio show with an inner core of sphagnum."

Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:27 am

one of my all time favourite Mick sketches was 'Fully grown baby'.
Funniest stuff ever!!! (and many years before the Waylans film 'Little Man' came out)

------

On the 3rd episode ever, something that still rings as hilarity to me was when they prank called the producer of 'Funniest Home Videos'. It was all like "Yeah, this is your doctor....we got your results back.....and Im afraid you've only got 3 months to live!!!! *snigger* *snigger*

oh man!
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:50 am

Mason Hell-Cat wrote:one of my all time favourite Mick sketches was 'Fully grown baby'.
Funniest stuff ever!!! (and many years before the Waylans film 'Little Man' came out)
Yes, but many years after The Goodies episode.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:52 am

menagers wrote:Yes, but many years after The Goodies episode.

sorry, can't think of the Goodies ep you're talking about....
I can sort of remember Tim being in a pram in a few episodes....? am I on the right track?

mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:56 am

I have a book somewhere with episode listings, but I can't be bothered being that nerdy at the moment, maybe if there is popular demand...

It was an episode where Tim was pregnant and grew to the size of a small whale. There were headlines, "Is she having an entire football team?", and then of course he/she birthed Bill, facial hair an' all. Quite funny.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:59 am

haha! Sounds excellent!
Definitely haven't seen that episode!

mrtonymartin:

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:01 am

You heard Martin/Molloy from the 3rd episode ever? I wasn't listening and taping it until 3 months into the show sadly.