Movies and TV shows that you watched at school

If it's not related to The D-Gen or any of the other threads, post it on here!

Moderator: ShitScared

foolhardycousingeorge
Brilliant, Brilliant

Movies and TV shows that you watched at school

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:20 am

I came across this topic during a random Google search. I thought it could make a good topic to discuss here.

What movies and TV shows do we remember watching at school?

Many come to mind. To start with, the movies. Bear in mind, this was through the eighties to the early nineties.

Storm Boy
BMX Bandits
Across the Great Divide

The Ugly Duckling. I recall that this was done with stop motion animation. I have had no success tracking it down on Youtube.
Cornflakes for Tea
Gypsy Goes to the Country. This was about a dog. It was produced by the Leyland Brothers. One of the stars even came to our school to talk about the movie.
The Karate Kid
Tom Thumb (Made in 1958)
War of the Worlds
The Time Machine
The animated version of Charlotte's Web

Finally, anything produced by Britain's Children's Film Foundation. My school would have 'Saturday Morning Films' and 'School Holiday Films'. CFF films were always shown.

In High School, most films we watched was based on whatever book or play we were studying.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's News
The Outsiders
The Accidental Tourist
Miracles Still Happen
Adaptations of Shakespeare plays like Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet
Abandon Ship
Grease
The Rocky Horror Picture Show

TV

These were usually ABC schools programs. On occasion, we were shown documentaries, or dramas. They were related to what we were studying in class. I do remember seeing National Geographic documentaries about polar bears, and earthquakes. Another was a miniseries about the first modern Olympics. Whatever we watched, was then discussed in class afterwards.

Behind the News. This was our introduction to taking notes, then writing essays.

Insight. an ABC science show.

Flip Slide Turn. Benita Collings and John Waters from Play School were presenters on this. In one episode, they drove around, looking for cylinders. They found tins, concrete tunnels, and machinery like steam rollers.

Infinity Limited. - another science show. Stefan Dennis was on this before Neighbours.

Ziggy Zoom.

The Magic Bag. This was all about words and grammar. Each episode came with a worksheet that we had to complete for homework. It had cartoon segments with characters called Gumpies. There were skits that starred magician, Ian Buckland, and actors like Max Gillies, and Wendy Harmer. Some of the people who later became stars on Fast Forward were on this show.

Words and Pictures [/i.] This was back in Prep, when we were learning to read.

For the Juniors.. A Google Search found that this show is still in production.

The miniseries Women of the Sun.

Upper Primary Media This was our introduction to Media Studies. I remember episodes about fads and marketing, a family sitcom, the making of a TV commercial for the Wales bank, and episodes starring Mel Gibson and Penny Cook.

A period drama called The Colonials. Perhaps this was made by the same people behind Rush and Seven Little Australians.

I do recall some show about trigonometry. In it, Julie McGregor sang a song about right angled triangles to the tune of Waltzing Matilda.

Each year in High School English, we would study comedy. In Year 7, we looked at how families were portrayed. From Year 7-10, we watched shows like Punky Brewster. In Year 10, we watched The Young Ones, Fawlty Towers, and Round The Twist.

That's all from me on this topic. Can anyone else recall what they watched at school?
Last edited by foolhardycousingeorge on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mcbeth10
Muckraker

Re: Movies and TV shows that you watched at school

Post by Mcbeth10 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:49 pm

Ooh! This is nostalgic. I still remember coming back from school and sitting in front of the television to watch my favorite series. Now, it’s even easier to watch shows because of internet and websites like Netflix. My kids can watch Andy Yeatman Netflix shows at any time of the day.