Semi Pro Radio on MMM: THE Big Show

If it's not related to The D-Gen or any of the other threads, post it on here!

Moderator: ShitScared

runDMG
Muckraker

Semi Pro Radio on MMM: THE Big Show

Post by runDMG » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:35 pm

Hi,

This is my first post. Allow me to introduce myself... I'm David M. Green (I may as well use my real name because people will work it out eventually). Some of the die hard Champagne Comedy fans may have heard my radio interviews with Tony Martin, Shaun Micallef and of course The Late Great Richard Marsland (my favourite). For more info about me see my website: http://www.davidmgreen.com (I won't bore you all with my life story here)

Firstly, let me say how much enjoyment I've obtained from this forum. I've been reading it on and off since I discovered it in 2006. It's an excellent resource and thanks to everyone who puts in the hours to make it a great place to come and waste time (I mean "waste time" in the most complimentary way possible).

Secondly, I love Get This. I openly admit I think it's the greatest radio show ever made anywhere ever and I was hugely disappointed when it went off the air. I know there's a lot of resentment for MMM out there. And hey, some of it with good reason. There certainly hasn't been a show I've enjoyed even half as much since Get This. I probably fall into a slightly different category than your average fan though, as doing comedy on radio is something I personally would like to do for a living and I'm working towards that right now. I'd love someday to actually get paid to make a hilarious radio show. Of course, I would never dream of claiming to do a show as amazing as Get This (as least not without another 20 years of experience. I'm only 22 in fact) so please don't think I'm some wise-talkin' know-it-all with his hot-head up his arse, which is also hot. Although feel free to think I am.

But I've been given the incredible opportunity to actually make a once-off comedy show for Triple M! Some of you may have heard of a little lesser-known promotion MMM is running called Semi-Pro Radio: http://www.semiproradio.com.au/index.html

To enter the promotion, you had to be employed in the advertising industry (or some sort of creative industry. I myself belong to a voice-over agency) and submit a show proposal. Of the 35 or so entrants, there are 13 finalists; 13 "teams" from various advertising/creative agencies who each get to make a 2-hour show that'll go to air on the Triple M network (that's Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane & Adelaide) on a Sunday night. A few have gone to air already. You can read their show proposals and hear the podcasts (of the ones that have already aired) at the Semi-Pro Radio website. I'll let you be the judge of those...

My show, THE Big Show (or just The BS), will be on air this Sunday night. That's Sunday August 30th 2009 10pm-midnight on Triple M. I'm sure there are a lot of cynics out there who will just assume it'll be crap. Fair enough. MMM hasn't had a great track record of late. But me and my Big Show show folk (Matty B, Tim Wray, Nick Godfrey & Adam Navarro) have put together something special. It's a 2-hour show, most of it music (from the fabulous MMM music department, VERY popular at Champagne Comedy I know). But with the 7 or so short talk breaks we've been allowed, it's virtually non-stop sketches, fake ads, prank calls and zany sound effects. It's by no means your average MMM comedy show, but I highly recommend that you listen Sunday night, or download the podcast. And not just because I'm on it...

Reading the many posts and personal opinions on this fabulous forum, I think THE Big Show will be right up your alley... I'd love to know what you guys think. You are the real critics after all.

We recorded it all at the Triple M Adelaide studios. I was in there today sitting in with the producer while he edited the sketches and we were both laughing pretty hard. Now all I can do is hope upper management doesn't cut out the good stuff...
Kind regards,
runDMG

http://www.davidmgreen.com

Boots
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by Boots » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:47 pm

Sounds interesting.....can someone record it??

mattyk
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by mattyk » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:49 pm

Good luck

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:16 pm

Hi David, welcome to Champagne Comedy! A big thank you for those interviews you did with Tony, Richard and Shaun (we have talked about them here before - you may have noticed your ears burning) some of us (me!) were big fans. The 'pants down' gag Tony used at the top of the interview still floats, unbidden, into my mind on a far too regular basis.

I will definitely be checking this "BS" show of yours out. And if there's a little too much Paddle Pop Lion or Toto's Africa between those 7 short talk breaks, then I'll be searching out that podcast! Good luck man.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

half goon half god
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by half goon half god » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:27 pm

Oh cool, I think I once listened to your Micallef interview! That was a few years back, though.

If I remember, I'll listen to your show. Good to see another Adelaideian getting a break on national radio, especially one that's more Micallef/Marsland, and less Jackie O. :D

runDMG
Muckraker

Post by runDMG » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:44 pm

menagers wrote:Hi David, welcome to Champagne Comedy! A big thank you for those interviews you did with Tony, Richard and Shaun (we have talked about them here before - you may have noticed your ears burning) some of us (me!) were big fans. The 'pants down' gag Tony used at the top of the interview still floats, unbidden, into my mind on a far too regular basis.

I will definitely be checking this "BS" show of yours out. And if there's a little too much Paddle Pop Lion or Toto's Africa between those 7 short talk breaks, then I'll be searching out that podcast! Good luck man.

Cheers!

Oh yes my ears and eyes have been quite aflame...

Pants down? Hahaha! I'm pretty sure he said "pens down" but don't let that stop you from enjoying the thought!
Kind regards,
runDMG

http://www.davidmgreen.com

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:59 pm

Oh, I am loving my Freudian ears! (? what the hell are they? :))
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

Ontos
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by Ontos » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:04 am

Good luck, I'll try to listen if not i'll record it. Heard the Sample on the Semi Pro site, better than most stuff on MMM.

How about calling it 'The All New Big Show!' I think that'd increase your chances. Don't make it too good or they'll sack you, but don't make it that no-one listens because they'll sack you also.
and calling it policy!

YMV
Champagne Comedian

Post by YMV » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:23 am

Good luck David, hope I get to hear it online somehow. If I do, I promise not to pinch & stick bits of it on my website without permission this time! (You know me as Viv, so hopefully that comment should now make a bit more sense)
Shaun Micallef on radio, the complete (ish) eps: Shaun, Beverley and Denise
Latest ep: 10 May 06 (23 Oct 2011)
Micallef ephemera
Youtube
'I'll Explain Later'

loop
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by loop » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:49 am

I still laugh at that Bas Rutten soundboard episode of Pow-Wow
*MYSTIFIED SILENCE*

TL: DR "They look for a fucking can of Tuna for 310 pages"
-