Community

If it's not related to The D-Gen or any of the other threads, post it on here!

Moderator: ShitScared

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:15 pm

God what a dick.

"Greenblatt singled out the Christina Applegate-Will Arnett comedy Up All Night and the Maria Bello vehicle Prime Suspect for praise." <-- reports vary as to Prime Suspect's future whether it's axed or on hiatus, etc.

"With The Office heading into its eighth season with out Steve Carell and 30 Rock on hiatus until midseason due to star Tina Fey’s pregnancy, NBC will devote considerable marketing resources to new comedies especially as it attempts to launch a comedy block on Wednesdays with Up All Night and Free Agents." <-- Free Agents also axed.

And I guess this guy's stuck on the 80s/90s.

"“Comedy is a goal for us. We’ve got to have more of it,” said Greenblatt, adding that he’s looking to beef up the network’s multi-camera comedy slate.

Whitney, which will get the post-Office slot on Thursdays, is the only new multi-camera comedy on the network this fall, though midseason comedy Are You There Vodka? is also a multi-camera.

“I’m eager to see if we can bring some respect back to the multi-cam,” said Greenblatt. “It’s almost a dirty word.”"

Sorry pal, it is.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/r ... ule-217670

And back on topic Greenblat's meeting where he made these stupid comments that show he has no idea what he's doing so far, at least there was this:

"Community star Joel McHale warmed up the crowd for Greenblatt by firing several shots at his own network. He called The Playboy Club “Mad Men with boobs” and explained that the network’s master plan for getting out of the ratings basement was to wait for older viewers watching competing networks to die.

“It turns out that young people don’t watch TV when it first airs,” said McHale. “Now NBC knows how to capitalize on the young demo. NBC’s slogan is changing from 'more colorful' to 'just one more step and you’ll be at the bottom of stairs grandma.'”"

I think The Playboy Club was axed too? Who cares really.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:47 am

Once again, this show is far too intelligent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19FMU3M7Jtk

Watch it once, then watch it again and look at the background
Blog
Now with EXTRA teabagging.
VALE Ricky M

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:40 pm

Trouble on the set with Chevy and Dan...

Link includes a partial recording of the phone message left by Chevy, the article details how the feud has embarrassingly gone public in front of the cast and Chevy's family at the wrap up party with Dan Harmon saying a F U type speech to Chevy at the festivities... ouch.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/C ... 41008.html
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Chevy: I don't think I'll be back on this show again, frankly, between you and me.

Post by baudrillard » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:41 am

Chevy's side in the Huffington Post.
He talks about hating sitcoms, having issues with the writing of the show, criticising it in the last season in particular for junking the actually setting of the show for the majority. He doesn't sound like he gets the creative freedom to do his Chevy shtick and improv. and he doesn't like it.

The most damning statements are that he finds it formulaic too:
I have creative issues with this show. I always have. With my character, with how far you can take [Joel McHale's] character ... just to give him a long speech about the world at the end of every episode is so reminiscent. It's like being relegated to hell and watching "Howdy Doody" for the rest of your life. It's not particularly necessary, but that's the way they do these things. I think it belies the very pretenses that his character, Jeff, has, that he's giving these talks. They're supposed to, in some way, be a little lesson to people who watch sitcoms ... to that degree, I can't stand sitcoms.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/3 ... 93823.html

That being said, the most recent episode is pretty epic, picking up from a plotline that was started at the end of the last episode and making this entire episode thematically and stylistically orientated around that conflict... no not with Pierce! :)
- Jacques Derrida

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:46 pm

I hope this is all settled and Chevy's back next season (if there is a next season). Has anybody even thought about Chevy Chase in 20 years before this show started? (with the exception of his great appearance on Chuck, but even that was barely seen.)
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Fri May 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Joel McHale's been on some show in the US where he said Chevy would do it for the money. There's three new episodes today including the season finale. It's also been renewed for a 4th season, but there are rumours Dan Harmon's not signed his contract yet.
- Jacques Derrida

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball » Sat May 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Damn those final 3 episodes were brilliant! Clear examples of why the show deserves it's fourth season (and fifth season and sixth season and movie).
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Sat May 19, 2012 7:37 pm

And now the show's fucked.
HEY, DID I MISS ANYTHING?
Kids:
A few hours ago, I landed in Los Angeles, turned on my phone, and confirmed what you already know. Sony Pictures Television is replacing me as showrunner on Community, with two seasoned fellows that I’m sure are quite nice - actually, I have it on good authority they’re quite nice, because they once created a show and cast my good friend Jeff Davis on it, so how bad can they be.

Why’d Sony want me gone? I can’t answer that because I’ve been in as much contact with them as you have. They literally haven’t called me since the season four pickup, so their reasons for replacing me are clearly none of my business. Community is their property, I only own ten percent of it, and I kind of don’t want to hear what their complaints are because I’m sure it would hurt my feelings even more now that I’d be listening for free.

I do want to correct a couple points of spin, now that I’m free to do so:

The important one is this quote from Bob Greenblatt in which he says he’s sure I’m going to be involved somehow, something like that. That’s a misquote. I think he meant to say he’s sure cookies are yummy, because he’s never called me once in the entire duration of his employment at NBC. He didn’t call me to say he was starting to work there, he didn’t call me to say I was no longer working there and he definitely didn’t call to ask if I was going to be involved. I’m not saying it’s wrong for him to have bigger fish to fry, I’m just saying, NBC is not a credible source of All News Dan Harmon.

You may have read that I am technically “signed on,” by default, to be an executive consulting something or other - which is a relatively standard protective clause for a creator in my position. Guys like me can’t actually just be shot and left in a ditch by Skynet, we’re still allowed to have a title on the things we create and “help out,” like, I guess sharpening pencils and stuff.

However, if I actually chose to go to the office, I wouldn’t have any power there. Nobody would have to do anything I said, ever. I would be “offering” thoughts on other people’s scripts, not allowed to rewrite them, not allowed to ask anyone else to rewrite them, not allowed to say whether a single joke was funny or go near the edit bay, etc. It’s….not really the way the previous episodes got done. I was what you might call a….hands on producer. Are my….periods giving this enough….pointedness? I’m not saying you can’t make a good version of Community without me, but I am definitely saying that you can’t make my version of it unless I have the option of saying “it has to be like this or I quit” roughly 8 times a day.

The same contract also gives me the same salary and title if I spend all day masturbating and playing Prototype 2. And before you ask yourself what you would do in my situation: buy Prototype 2. It’s fucking great.

Because Prototype 2 is great, and because nobody called me, and then started hiring people to run the show, I had my assistant start packing up my office days ago. I’m sorry. I’m not saying seasons 1, 2 and 3 were my definition of perfect television, I’m just saying that whatever they’re going to do for season 4, they’re aiming to do without my help. So do not believe anyone that tells you on Monday that I quit or diminished my role so I could spend more time with my loved ones, or that I negotiated and we couldn’t come to an agreement, etc. It couldn’t be less true because, just to make this clear, literally nobody called me. Also don’t believe anyone that says I have sex with animals. And if there’s a photo of me doing it with an animal - I’m not saying one exists, I’m just saying, if one surfaces - it’s a fake. Look at the shadow. Why would it be in front of the giraffe if the sun is behind the jeep?

Where was I? Oh yeah. I’m not running Community for season 4. They replaced me. Them’s the facts.

When I was a kid, sometimes I’d run home to Mommy with a bloody nose and say, “Mom, my friends beat me up,” and my Mom would say “well then they’re not worth having as friends, are they?” At the time, I figured she was just trying to put a postive spin on having birthed an unpopular pussy. But this is, after all, the same lady that bought me my first typewriter. Then later, a Commodore 64. And later, a 300 baud modem for it. Through which I met new friends that did like me much, much more.
I’m 39, now. The friends my Mom warned me about are bigger now, and older, bloodying my nose with old world numbers, and old world tactics, like, oh, I don’t know, sending out press releases to TV Guide at 7pm on a Friday.

But my Commodore 64 is mobile now, like yours, and the modems are invisible, and the internet is the air all around us. And the good friends, the real friends, are finding each other, and connecting with each other, and my Mom is turning out to be more right than ever.

Ah, shit, I still haven’t called my fucking Mom.

Mom, Happy Mother’s Day. I got fired.

Yes, Mom. AGAIN.
- Jacques Derrida

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Sat May 19, 2012 10:03 pm

And more behind the scenes people have left too. So much for S4... Could turn into Scrubs S9 at this rate.
P.S Chris McKenna, a writer who's been there since Series 1, is leaving.

So are the Russo brothers, who have directed many episodes.

PLUS Neil Goldman and Garret Donovan, two of the shows producers, have left.
They've replaced Dan Harmon, whose experiences of community college the show is based on, with:
Just Shoot Me! alums Moses Port and David Guarascio have been tapped to step in and replace Dan Harmon.
They've also been involved in the fairly decent show Happy Endings... God help Community. Judging by the ending montage of the season finale, it might have now bitten everyone on the arse for hoping for a S4...
- Jacques Derrida

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Mon May 21, 2012 9:04 am

Cast responds as reported by Huff Po.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/1 ... 30109.html

I don't know who this person is but it's a little ironic she's putting the boots into Harmon when Chevy's a complete asshole.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/grace-par ... 31004.html
- Jacques Derrida