Talking Funny - Gervais, Seinfeld, Rock, Louis CK

If it's not related to The D-Gen or any of the other threads, post it on here!

Moderator: ShitScared

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Talking Funny - Gervais, Seinfeld, Rock, Louis CK

Post by baudrillard » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:57 pm

If you aren't watching this, why not? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5v0Sfpk-8 I think the whole thing is up in 4 parts so go! What are you waiting for??

Comedy's biggest names — Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Ricky Gervais, and Louis CK — sit down for a revealing (and hilarious) chat on this HBO special.

Big thanks to snatto for telling me that this even existed in the first place and also of alerting me to it going to air.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:55 pm

Hmmm....
This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement from claimants including:
TF1
TF1
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)

snatto gauro
Champagne Comedian

Post by snatto gauro » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:08 pm

SeanRodger
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by SeanRodger » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:44 pm

Cheers guys. I had seen previews, but didn't think this was coming out for a while.
Lotsa lotsa music, and notsa notsa Get This.

Moribunderast
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Moribunderast » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:46 pm

I quite enjoyed this. Had some reservations about the inherent implication of the show that Ricky Gervais is in the same league (in stand-up terms) as the other three but he produced the show so what are ya gonna do?

Not a particularly insightful look into comedy or anything but I could happily sit and watch Louis CK talk shit for hours and this was a fine forum for him.

snatto gauro
Champagne Comedian

Post by snatto gauro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:29 pm

Yeah well its very subjective,to me Ricky is streets ahead of all of them,Louis CK is ok but i hate his continual use of the word faggot in his shows and he uses it as a put down type thing,besides that i dont mind him.

mattyk
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by mattyk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Where it is the other way around for me. I really didn't think Gervais needed to be there. The moments between Seinfeld, Louis CK and Chris Rock were the funniest bits.
In saying that I really can't stand Gervais.

Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat » Mon May 02, 2011 10:32 pm

So glad I saw that! Thanks for the link Snatto!

For me, I agree with Moribund in that Ricky was sitting there as if he's been doing stand-up for 20 years. No, he's done like 5 or 6 stand up shows. Don't get me wrong, I find Ricky Gervais one of the funniest guys ever - to me he's just naturally hilarious and when he does do stand up, he's spot on. But these are 'stand up comedians' he's talking to. Guys that started in stand-up, made their career from stand-up and still do stand-up. Ricky does it like it's just another project on the side.

On the comment that the show was nothing insightful, I disagree. I learnt stacks from that about how I could possibly work on comedy to get it right. Why jokes I've done in the past might have failed or what they lacked. It was fascinating.
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)

plattopus
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by plattopus » Tue May 03, 2011 8:06 am

I haven't watched the programme in question (yet), so forgive me if I'm way off the mark here. But surely Ricky is still qualified to discuss the stand-up business with other comedians regardless of whether or not he started in stand-up comedy, because he is now one of the most popular stand-up comedians in the world?

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Tue May 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Merely being popular doesn't make you qualified. Otherwise, where was Dane Cook?
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"