Fry and Laurie - there's this vague news

If it's not related to The D-Gen or any of the other threads, post it on here!

Moderator: ShitScared

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Fry and Laurie - there's this vague news

Post by baudrillard » Tue May 15, 2012 12:35 pm

A single tweet has been reported twice!

From the optimistically hyperbolic:
ARE STEPHEN FRY AND HUGH LAURIE GETTING THE BAND BACK TOGETHER?
to Digital spy's confirmation based on the same tweet
Stephen Fry confirms Hugh Laurie reunion: We're cooking up new project

To make wild speculations about.

Stephen Fry has announced that he is working again with former comedy partner Hugh Laurie.

The QI host tweeted today: "M'coll Hugh Laurie and I are cooking up a project together.

"We will be working again soon. Sorry to be mysterious but more news when I can."
And...
If your only experience of Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie’s astonishing comedic partnership is watching House and QI, or maybe the occasional Blackadder, you may not be aware that they still hold an astonishing amount of affection from the British public for their peerless sketch show A Bit Of Fry And Laurie, which ran from 1989 and 1995. They also collaborated on a damn-near perfect four series run of dramatised PG Wodehouse stories, Jeeves and Wooster, which only served to further glue them together in the minds of British TV fans.

So it is of no small import that Stephen Fry has tweeted this today:

“M’coll* Hugh Laurie and I are cooking up a project together. We will be working again soon. Sorry to be mysterious but more news when I can.”
So there we have it a tweet of confirmation which will probably mean unquestioningly either full creative license and funding from the BBC or some web things! Who knows. It's 1 tweet.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

Chop-In-A-Toaster!
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Chop-In-A-Toaster! » Tue May 15, 2012 5:42 pm

This is HUGE!!! Thankyou!

luckyphill73
Muckraker

Post by luckyphill73 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:16 pm

I so prefer Hugh Laurie as a comedic actor rather than a dramatic one. Comedy brings out the best in him.

logifuse
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by logifuse » Wed May 16, 2012 8:26 am

Sounds great. With House finishing up hopefully Hugh Laurie has more time for comedy.

I've heard Fry mention a possible cameo on House (Fry as an even more belligerent doctor or a PITA patient), but it looks too late for that now.

Their special on Gold a year or two back is well worth a watch.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Wed May 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Oddly, Fry appeared on Bones instead of House - another medical show that actually airs directly before House, a couple of times. I haven't seen them.

They're now up to the final episode of House, I watched the second last one streaming yesterday as it went to air. As I refuse to see the point in watching TV here, I've only just read that they're far behind with this season here - unconfirmed. But let me say that they took a month hiatus off after Fox refused to foot the bill for another series and it left the writers scrambling as to how to possibly conclude the series with the season finales having gotten bigger and bigger. It's very unfortunate as they've done an entire reset on the series in a number of ways, and now rather than having the new characters able to settle in, we've gotten to know them, but now they seem largely extraneous. You can pretty much separate the scenes that involve the medical cases entirely from the character driven ones. The patients are pretty irrelevant at this point and the cases aren't very interesting either, but there is one pair of characters who have become the entire focus of the show's narrative now. I'm trying not to spoil, but every week now the emotions are running higher and higher.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

Chop-In-A-Toaster!
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Chop-In-A-Toaster! » Wed May 16, 2012 6:25 pm

I saw a Tony Robinson (Baldrick) stand-up performance last year in which he explained that after the millennium edition of Black Adder they were all in agreement that they'd get together for another special ten years later (2010). Unfortunatley Hugh was at the time one of the highest paid actors in the world and therefore too busy... "Don't you hate it when your friends are more successful than you are."

Chop-In-A-Toaster!
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Chop-In-A-Toaster! » Wed May 16, 2012 6:28 pm

The show was called Tony Robinson's Cunning Night Out Blackadder's Baldrick. It's not hard to find. It's certainly worth a watch especially for his stories about the making of Black Adder.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Wed May 16, 2012 7:00 pm

logifuse wrote:Sounds great. With House finishing up hopefully Hugh Laurie has more time for comedy... I've heard Fry mention a possible cameo on House (Fry as an even more belligerent doctor or a PITA patient), but it looks too late for that now.
Actually, there's a fantastic juxtaposition to make. Hugh actually sort of did the opposite of this before he did House. In 2004, he directed and wrote to a fair degree, a series nobody probably would have heard of called Fortysomething. It's basically Hugh, playing a mild-mannered doctor of the sort of timid character we'd possibly associate with some of Hugh's persona gleamed from his other work. It has Peter Capaldi - who plays Malcolm Tucker in The Thick of It - as Hugh's antagonist, another doctor at his practice who's in competition for influence in the practice and even for Hugh's character, Paul Slippery's wife.

It's was a very strange leap from that role to House, but the next year that's what he was doing.
- Jacques Derrida

Jen
Muckraker

Post by Jen » Wed May 16, 2012 8:35 pm

Love love LOVE Fry and Laurie. I must admit I haven't watched much of House recently but mainly because Ch10 were sporadic in screening it. Will catch up on DVD eventually.

Have a sudden urge to crack open some A Bit Of dvds and giggle myself silly.
~~~Skivvies Are Back!~~~

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Wed May 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Chop-In-A-Toaster! wrote:The show was called Tony Robinson's Cunning Night Out Blackadder's Baldrick. It's not hard to find. It's certainly worth a watch especially for his stories about the making of Black Adder.
I'll have to look for it Chop-Chop.

Jen, that's why I simply won't watch anything I don't download or access through the internet. I'm tired of people making crappy programming decisions and I'd rather make sure that whatever I do watch, it's because I've chosen to. To the point that commercials are an abstract cultural phenomenon that I'm entirely unaware and have been for several years thank god.
- Jacques Derrida