Fry and Laurie - there's this vague news

If it's not related to The D-Gen or any of the other threads, post it on here!

Moderator: ShitScared

Chop-In-A-Toaster!
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Chop-In-A-Toaster! » Wed May 16, 2012 10:06 pm

Same. How weird is it hearing that Labor is spending $14m on a new advertising campaign about the climate change tax. I have not seen or heard one ad.

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball » Thu May 17, 2012 9:57 am

I also live in a downloaded world, I only listen to podcasts when I'm driving and only watch shows I've downloaded (or iView if it's a first run ABC program). People ask me if I've seen an ad on tv or heard one on the radio and I'm completely lost.
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball

logifuse
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by logifuse » Thu May 17, 2012 10:41 am

Chop-In-A-Toaster! wrote:Same. How weird is it hearing that Labor is spending $14m on a new advertising campaign about the climate change tax. I have not seen or heard one ad.
I've only seen the ad when it was being discussed on a news program. The problem seems to be that it's an ad about the climate change tax that doesn't mention the climate change tax. I think Malcolm Tucker must have come up with that one.

I've been watching more recorded TV than usual lately as there's been more first run Aussie stuff that I want to watch, but I still miss all the ads (I use MediaPortal for playback & it makes skipping very slick). Having said that, I notice just about everything on Aus TV is now being capped & upped.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Thu May 17, 2012 12:28 pm

The scene run out of things to do and they're always trying to expand to further horizons, such as further into the UK and into NZ and Australia. It's good to see that they've picked up on our quality ABC journalism though. Media Watch and Four Corners are even being capped by the scene. The locals double up and miss a thing or two but there's a majority of content covered. Someone give the guy who brought down diawana a slap for me.

All politics is at the level of Malcolm Tucker really, it's just that we're even more painfully aware of it now.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

logifuse
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by logifuse » Thu May 17, 2012 1:16 pm

The PMs office has even imported a guy named John McTernan who it's thought that Malcolm Tucker was in part modelled on. He apparently rang Ross Greenwood (the finance reporter guy on channel 9) the other day & gave him a huge spray for his reporting of part of the budget.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Thu May 17, 2012 1:54 pm

It's funny, Capaldi has said that he modelled Tucker not on Blair's spin doctor as was thought, but on the head of Miramax, Harvey Weinstein.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

logifuse
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by logifuse » Thu May 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Yeah, the mannerisms & carry-on, etc have been said to be based on "Hollywood agents", but you don't come up with a foul mouthed Scottish character that's the PMs "enforcer" in isolation from the real world where the PM has a couple of Scottish enforcers who are said to have foul mouths.:mrgreen:

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to end a phone call with the words "fuckity bye."

Back to Fry & Laurie - I'd like to see a Peter & John based series.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Thu May 17, 2012 5:00 pm

I guess with Capaldi, it's the actor's motivation compared to the writers' figures like Alastair Campbell.

To be honest, I do not know what to expect from neither Fry, nor Laurie.
- Jacques Derrida

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Mon May 21, 2012 3:09 am

In denial that the show is ending Monday (US), Tuesday here, I just woke up and started to sadly look around for news about House ending. I finally saw what it is, published two days ago, that Fry and Laurie are working on together. It's not quite what I hoped, but let's be optimistic.
Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry Reunite for Animated 'Canterville Ghost'

With the long-running medical drama series "House M.D." coming to an end next week, I'm hoping that means Hugh Laurie will have more time for feature films. He's lent his voice to films like Hop, Monsters vs. Aliens and Arthur Christmas recently (since voice roles are considerably less time consuming when hiatus between seasons of a TV show), and he's adding another one to the mix. However, this time THR reports Laurie will reunite with his old comedy cohort Stephen Fry for the first time in 13 years to lend their voices to an animated film called The Canterville Ghost, an adaptation of Oscar Wilde's short story.

The two made quite the name for themselves in their comedy series "A Bit of Fry and Laurie" and now they'll star opposite each other with Fry playing the title character, Sir Simon de Canterville, a 300 year old ghost, while Laurie voices his nemesis, a lowly gardener who is revealed to be Death himself. Set in rural England at the end of the nineteenth century, it tells the tale of Canterville who, for hundreds of years has been haunting Canterville Chase. Everything changes when an American family, the Otises from Boston, buys Canterville Chase and moves in to the house.

Wilde is known for wry humor, and that's right up Fry and Laurie's alley for sure. Kim Burden (Stressed Eric) is directing from a script co-written by frequent collaborators Giles New and Keiron Self (That Mitchell and Webb Look), with Sprout Pictures (a banner actually co-owned by Fry himself) co-producing with Hibbert Ralph. While I'd be more eager for a live-action reunion of Fry and Laurie, this will have to do for the time being. Either way, with "House M.D." ending his practice, we can be sure Laurie will hit the big screen in plenty more films, but probably after a little break.
It is the first time the pair have worked together in over 13 years, according to the feature film's producers.

Stephen, who met House star Laurie at Cambridge University, will play the title character in the film, which is being partly funded by the BFI Film Fund. It is due for release over Christmas 2014.
- Jacques Derrida