Tony Martin on ABC 702 last night!

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:46 pm

The best part of The Late Show was when they stuffed up their lines. :o

Years ago, in '98 I think, we went and saw Jerry Seinfeld's stand up show. And we'd heard all the jokes before from Seinfeld the series. Someone in the front row yelled out, 'Heard it!', which, ironically, I think was a line from Seinfeld itself.... and Jerry went apeshit :)

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:24 am

kim wrote:Years ago, in '98 I think, we went and saw Jerry Seinfeld's stand up show. And we'd heard all the jokes before from Seinfeld the series. Someone in the front row yelled out, 'Heard it!', which, ironically, I think was a line from Seinfeld itself.... and Jerry went apeshit :)
I remember the newspaper stories about what a shit Seinfeld was on that whole tour. Being an arrogant tosser, demanding weird Jewish pickles which you can't get in Australia on his rider... But seriously, he couldn't handle a heckle? He's supposed to be the king of American comedy!

BeerStud2
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by BeerStud2 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:45 am

I saw Tony Martin do stand-up in 1994, and I can honestly say that it was funnier than I could ever imagine Seinfeld being.

Seinfeld is great but he's a bit formulaic I feel.
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

oceanthroats
Commercial Crimestopper

Post by oceanthroats » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:43 am

You got it right there Schoolyards. Tony has to drop this 'material' lark once and for all and develop some jock comedy, and fast. How else will he keep up with the new wave of comedians who have no material but do have a great pile of comedy underwear? Time to evolve Mr Martin. Time to grow up! Time to make us laugh at your underdacks! (Sarcasm font is in ya undies mate arh ha ha ha etc etc)

Actually I've been thinking about Tony's standup lately, and realised that I've never really heard any of it other than the stuff on the Late Show. Are there any recordings floating about the place? I would love to hear/see a whole Tony Martin show.

Got an email back from O'Loghlin's producer, he says they'll try to put it up on the website asap. His words, not mine. I would have just said 'soon' but there you are.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:16 pm

Good work in getting that, oceanthroats.

BeerStud2
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by BeerStud2 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:17 pm

That last comment was supposed to be from me....didn't realise i was logged out.
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:41 pm

Yeah, where is the Tony Martin stand-up album? Judith Lucy did one, so why not Tone. His stand-up in The Late Show was really good and I've seen him live a couple of times and he was equally great. In both of the live shows he had a guitar and sang songs. One song was "Barry - The Naughty Psycopath" or something like that. It was really funny.

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:51 pm

Didn't Judith do a couple of stand-up albums? I think there was one very soon after TLS, then there was one not so long ago and I can't remember the title of either - 'King of the Road' was one I think, and the other... probably doesn't exist. Maybe I'm just thinking of her stand-up show, because I know she did a new show the year after doing King of the Road. That's probably it.

Anyway, I've seen Mick do stand-up twice and I can understand why he's never put out an album - while it was funny stuff both times, it probably would've felt a little slow listening at home. As for T. Martin - yeah, why hasn't he put out an album? Where Mick's shows tended to be big, well-promoted efforts, Tone seemed to mostly pop up performing at established comedy nights rather than going on tour himself (making it harder for occasional comedy types like me to realise I could go see him perform). Slaving over a book for months isn't enough - we want a live album!

oceanthroats
Commercial Crimestopper

Post by oceanthroats » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:17 am

So when was the last time Tony performed live then? There must be tapes floating around of a few of his things. I'm guessing he would have a few himself but dammit, there ought to be a release.
Tony maintains he can't play guitar in real life so he must set up a tape backstage and mime along to it. Why doesn't he just learn how to play guitar? At the very least just so he meets a weird guitar teacher and writes a story about them?

I seem to be one of the few people in the country who owns a copy of King of the Road. Judith has said a couple of times that it sold very very very badly. Like not that far off single figures. She didn't seem to be joking. It's an interesting enough cd but I haven't listened to it more than once, and the recording seemed a bit flat. Paul Hester's band turning up every so often didn't seem to help much either.

FW de Klerk
Muckraker

Post by FW de Klerk » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:51 am

Ill teach Tony Martin to play guitar. That would be awesome!