A chat with Tony Martin

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

Pete the Clown
Brilliant, Brilliant

A chat with Tony Martin

Post by Pete the Clown » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:08 am

Hey all

As I went to the Boytown Aria theme day today at the end of it I did get to manage to get to chat to Tony Martin after all the other extras had left as they did some close up shots where no crowd was needed. I asked someone there if I could get to speak to him and after a while he came to speak to me. So here are some of the topics discussed

He now knows about this website as I gave him a piece of paper with the web address and gave him Ben's e-mail address with it so hopefully he will check it soon as the last time he checked for stuff about himself on the net was to read reviews for Bad Eggs which most were pretty ordinary by memory.

The person Rob is taking off is the dinner party sketch is Andrew Knight, Not Ted Emery who Tony said is the complete opposite.

I asked him who was the person who try to buy the rights to the word "wog" (as discussed on dvd commentary in Santo's wog doco sketch) and was it Nick Giannopoulos? He refused to answer it as might get him into trouble.

His main memories of The Late Show in it time on air was the agruments they had with the ABC in that they filmed there own sketches and not with them and the last minute rush to write up the show as by Thursday nothing had really been written for the intro, newsdesk, Graham and the Colonel and having loades of video tape in his car of stuff they had filmed.

Got him to talk about the book and how someone in the forum group wished to give him a hug after reading the chapter with him discussing his iron problems and how he didn't want it to seem in the book that it was all bad and tragic for him that basically it was like giving blood.

Tony was very interested in the website as he find it weird I guess that people are still interested and love the show. I did some pics with Tony and hopefully I wil them up soon. More wil be mentioned soon of other thing dicussed but i've had a long day and sleep is needed.

"I'm drinking out of someone elses coffee mug"

edison
Muckraker

Post by edison » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:38 am

wow, thats fantastic. great questions! i think he must appreciate the genuine support. i hope he does check the site and forum, and maybe keeps in contact with us via ben, yourself, or even as a semi/regular poster on the forum. that would be ace.

good work. cant wait for the photos : )

sleeping_pirate
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by sleeping_pirate » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:52 am

That's so cool! Sounds like you had quite a long chat with him!

Can't wait to see the photos :)
~Punch a Lapplander and sellotape a rat to your knees~

Chika-Chow

nurgle11
Muckraker

Post by nurgle11 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:41 am

Great work Pete!!!

"Andrew Knight" as in the screenwriter (Skyways - hee hee and Seachange)?
Sing like a d*ckhead and dance like a duck.

FW de Klerk
Muckraker

Post by FW de Klerk » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:13 am

That was a great chat with heaps of info. Well done.
:D

The wog thing has to be Nick Giannopoulos. There was a rumour going around about it back in the day. Every Greek had heard about it including myself.
"Go on you've got whales to catch"

kim
Champagne Comedian

woo hoo!

Post by kim » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:21 am

HEY Pete!!

That's excellent! I shall now go and note your meeting with Tony on the main home page - I'll also say a big hello to Tone from all of us! Looking forward to seeing the photos -- will definitely put them on the main page.

Exciting stuff...

BenG
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by BenG » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:51 am

Haha, nice work mate :-)

rdmcphee
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by rdmcphee » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:22 am

Andrew Knight was also Steve Vizard's business partner in Artist Services, the production company that gave us Fast Forward and Full Frontal, and was instrumental in the rise to fame of Shaun Micallef (good), and Julia Morris (not so good). See below for more info:

http://imdb.com/name/nm0460795/
Actor Melvyn Hayes and stars of the Carry On films.

FW de Klerk
Muckraker

Post by FW de Klerk » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:34 am

Click the link below for a pic of Andrew Knight with Steve Vizard.

Any resembleance to Rob's character?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/creative- ... 23011.html
"Go on you've got whales to catch"

Feng
Muckraker

Post by Feng » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:53 am

Considering Tony was behind the creation of the Champagne Edition DVD, he's not going to have a cow about BenG's unofficial DVDs is he? What would happen if Tony is protective about TLS material?

Mind you, if he requested a set for himself that would be a pretty big honour for Ben!