A chat with Tony Martin

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

lucasbucksheriff
Muckraker

Post by lucasbucksheriff » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:13 pm

How true that last line from Kim is! I think I mentioned somewhere in the forum the similarity between the two - height excluded. Very good interview with Tone but could you clarify the comments on the dvd/Bargearse/Olden Days extras please? What extras was he hoping to have on such releases? Why was the release turned down? Did you commend him on his attention to detail with the commentaries on his productions, especially in comparison to all the Working Dog stuff that never has anything additional on it? Surely he could have been in charge of one for 'The Castle' when he had such a strong leading role in the moofie himself...

Pete the Clown
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by Pete the Clown » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:05 pm

Ha Ha. Yes so true. When I saw at the Espy in Melb in 2000 and got to meet him then I do remember him giving a quick comment to the lady who got me backstage after his show about my lsimilar look to him before saying G'day to me.
The extra bits Tone wanted on a Olden Days/Bargearse DVD was of some other Late Show sketches and some sketches in full that are in the closing titles of the 3 best bits videos. I did mention to him that the Glenrowan sketch would be good in full on something like that. Tony did say to me that on the extra bits of the DVD series they doesn't includ any closing titles moment as they didn't want people to pay for something twice when the dvd was in one package. Sadly didn't mention his great commentary work except for what has been mention previously or why a Olden Days/Bargearse DVD was refused.

The other thing I did mention to him about the website was the poll of our fave Late Show cast member and that he was on top. He seem a bit shocked and humble by it and said "Me.. Why that's" as he thought he was more a straight man and he would gone for Rob or Mick possibly because they were more looser and could cause more havoc in a live situation.

"I'm drinking out of someone elses coffee mug"

Steve
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by Steve » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:52 pm

Watching all the episodes one by one in minute detail for my episode guides (did I mention my web site http://www.tandarra.com/thelateshow, he he), I am currently watching them for the second and third times and one interesting aspect that has emerged, is the spontaneous remarks that TM seems to come up with during unexpected situations. Now let's not fool ourselves, just about all the sketches are well rehersed, but the unscripted "think and act on your feet"-type lines that TM comes out with are noticable. Maybe they are a result of a memory so full of quick, one-line responses, that he has them on tap for any occasion. And when he delivers them, they're at the right time for the right situation. I can think of a couple of instances.

1. The audience member who unexpectantly jumps on stage in his underpants. After he disappears back stage TM says "Well, now you know what out producer looks like!" - Season 2 Ep.7 http://www.tandarra.com/thelateshow/inf ... s2ep07.htm

2. The Street Interviews where the "subject" is unpredicable and are certainly not set up "Go on, you've got whales to catch..."

3. How to Host a Party in Season 2 Ep.10. TM from a distance says "Hey, Isn't that Graham from 'Graham & the Colonel'?" - This obviously is unexpected going by the reaction of Rob.

I guessed I'm saying in all that is that I am not surprised he is the most popular, and I am not surprised about how humble he is when Pete The Clown mentioning it to him. He'll be around long after the many comediens have burnt out. Go Tone.
"Sturt was a good film... but it was no Strzelecki"

R.I.P. GTV-9 Bendigo Street, Richmond... A lifetime of memories behind those red brick walls.

Member #46

Feng
Muckraker

Post by Feng » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:47 pm

I liked Tony's quip about imagining Pete Smith cleaning out his basement and saying, "Everything must go". Also when he coughed and said he was chanelling... someone whose name I forgot. I've wondered if those were spontaneous or not. Maybe the second part is. But yeah Tony is pretty quick minded.

Still wondering what he would think if he checked this site out!
Jesus Christ! It's Philip Brady!

kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:00 pm

Righty O, here are a couple of pics that Pete sent me of his meetin with Tony!

Pete I'll add more when I'm not so jet-lagged :lol:

nurgle11
Muckraker

Post by nurgle11 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:06 pm

OMG ... "When Nerds Attack" :lol: couldn't help it ... sorry Pete, mind you I can hardly throw stones I'm looking more like Comic Book Guy every year. Great Piccys well done mate!
Sing like a d*ckhead and dance like a duck.

Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:54 pm

Haha!! Awesome!!
Loving Tony's look!! Is it his real hair??
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)

LSNut
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by LSNut » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:29 pm

Pete your a legend !!!! Just one question is that your own T-Shirt ??? :D

Steve I can only ditto tenfold your sentiments re: Tony being by far the best on-stop adlibber on the show ..

It was Jack Klugman he was channelling of course - 1/2 of The (original) Odd Couple and later had throat cancer and totally lost what was already a gravelly voice..

Another one (and my absolute favourite):

"I've been nerfed!! Luckily I was wearing a small Nerf bible..."

And of course Vox Pop's were a fertile ground for Tone's sharp tongue

"Gilligan for example.."
"What about the wild west look.."

And the guy who jumped up on stage was bit of a notorious character from Melb Uni when I was there - part of the F.O.U.L. social club if anyone went to Melb Uni early-90's would have heard of them.. so no suprise to see him pull that stunt..
Traction Jackson

Pete the Clown
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by Pete the Clown » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:22 am

Yes that is my own t-shirt. As what to wear on the day was an option to dress in your Sunday best or grudge, I thought the tuxedo t-shirt was a good look in the crowd scene as it was a award show being shot as well.

Tony hair is a wig and his glasses are different as well to his normal ones. I didn't ask him about it but as he was on Rove a few weeks before with his normal hair it was obivous enough.

The photo pose with arms folded was Tony idea. Must have had the idea of "When skinny men with glasses of Australia unite"

"I'm drinking out of someone elses coffee mug"

BeerStud2
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by BeerStud2 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:20 am

Pete the Clown wrote:The photo pose with arms folded was Tony idea. Must have had the idea of "When skinny men with glasses of Australia unite"
From Tony's lean, Im thinking he was suggesting a "Twins" photo.
'Only their mother can tell them apart'.
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."