Why does Mick hate Steve Vizard?

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:18 am

Hasn't Rove been clinging on by the skin of his (ratings) teeth for the last year or so? Supposedly it's only the fact that his show is a great PR venue for visiting stars - hence the way the entire show is Rove softballing limp questions to giggling O/S morons - that keeps it on the air.

Oh, plus the way Rove owns every non-Working Dog comedian on Ten. Didn't he buy Hamish & Andy at a garage sale and now they're on everything (Joke Poker, Australia's Smartest Comedian) Ten does?
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

profernity
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by profernity » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:17 pm

It's a shame what's happened to Rove. I liked his Channel 9 show a lot, and I thought Rove live was going to continue in that vein.

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:54 am

Word is that Rove's show is going to have a big revamp for next year - not sure what it'll intail, but it's hard to see how much different it can be, what with having to have on all those guests. The bit I read (in the Herald-Sun, I think) mainly used producer-speak like "more extreme" and so on, which doesn't sound good...

BeerStud2
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by BeerStud2 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:33 am

The only good thing that could be done to 'Rove Live' to make it at least watchable is get rid of the host.
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Major Spliff Biggins
Muckraker

Post by Major Spliff Biggins » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:37 am

BeerStud2 wrote:The only good thing that could be done to 'Rove Live' to make it at least watchable is get rid of the host.
I hear Daniel McPherson is frustrated w/ his lack of work at Ten. Fingers crossed another true Aussie talent gets their head on screen.

When will they realise that "Ugly" Dave Gray is the only viable option to host this show?

His rapier wit and his modern, cutting edge humour would be thrilling and edge of your seat stuff.
"Look out Rob! Georgie Parker!"

BeerStud2
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by BeerStud2 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:46 am

Surely there's a Daddo that's in need of work, Channel 10??

Major Spliff Biggins
Muckraker

Post by Major Spliff Biggins » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:52 am

BeerStud2 wrote:Surely there's a Daddo that's in need of work, Channel 10??
They lack Dave Gray's good looks...

Don't we all...
"Look out Rob! Georgie Parker!"

louie
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by louie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:18 pm

BeerStud2 wrote:The only good thing that could be done to 'Rove Live' to make it at least watchable is get rid of the host.
right on.
i don't get how people can find rove funny.

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:26 pm

I dimly remember hearing something a few years back about how Rove got his go because the guys on The Panel weren't doing the soft celebrity interviews all the publicists wanted. That is, they wouldn't talk to big names just because they had a movie to plug and the interviews they did were all over the place, so Ten turned to Rove for a more traditional 'talk show' show. Yawn.

I think the point with Rove is, he's not horribly unfunny (well, yes he is, but not offensively so - he's just crap), he's not horribly bad at interviewing (well yes he is, but he's good at sucking up), and he's not horribly ugly. Rather than being good at anything, he's just not bad at a lot of things. And so he lingers on, and on...

BeerStud2
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by BeerStud2 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:44 am

Yes, good points.
The key thing with Rove, is as you've pointed out that he's just excellent at sucking up to people. I could never be like that as an interviewer and I always see opportunities that just go begging for Rove to make a joke or something.