Murder, She Wrote Down Under: noon Tue 10/1/06 on Ten

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

Daniel G
Sandhurst Mechanic

Murder, She Wrote Down Under: noon Tue 10/1/06 on Ten

Post by Daniel G » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:52 pm

Thought I'd look up when the 'down under' episode of Murder, She Wrote (that Tony Martin took the piss out of on Martin/Molloy) would be airing, only to find out it's tomorrow! I'll record it on my digital TV tuner card for anyone who's reading this too late - e-mail me on daniel g online at gmail dot com if you want a DVD copy.
BUT WAIT!! (No reason, but thanks anyway.)

Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:43 am

haha...
As funny as the boys made the film sound on Martin/Molloy, I couldn't imagine sitting through it....!
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Re: Murder She Wrote Down Under

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:17 pm

Ha ha. I didn't get to watch it. I went to see King Kong instead.

Those were the days. I remember how Murder She Wrote was promoted when it first aired in the mid eighties "Angela Lansbury is a modern-day Agatha Christie"...

For a laugh, I watched the episode when it first aired. I still have on cassette the review of Murder She Wrote Down Under that Tony did on Martin Molloy back in 1998.

Here's a transcript of the review...

Missed the first lines of Tony's introduction

TM ...but those that who were, were treated to a very special Murder, She Wrote Down Under. (Murder, She Wrote Theme music plays in background, Mick laughs)

Although, I'd be damn suprised if anyone involved could even show you where Australia is on the map. The whole show was set in the Outback town of Kookaburra Downs. Well, that's not how the American cast members referred to it.

(Audio grab) So, if for any reason, Kookaberra (as it sounded pronounced by an American cast member) Downs doesn't acquire the McGill Valley and give us the contract to start mining.

(Tony and Mick laugh) TM Kookaburra Downs, that's where it was set, but if you squinted at most of the Kookaburra Downs signs long enough, I'm sure you'd be able to see the name 'Hazzard County' written underneath." (Mick laughs)

TM Yeah, see the whole thing was clearly shot on a Hollywood backlot, which looked like, well, if you can imagine that town from A Fistfull of Dollars (1960s Italian-made Western) with just a few slabs of Foster's every few metres, (Mick laughs)

TM ..that's right, I lost count of the shots of Foster's tinnies, and the number of cowboys, sorry, (Mick laughs) outback ockers who kept coming out with lines like,

"Bring us a nice, frosty Foster's, would you, love?"

Mick and Tony both laugh.

TM Pristine new shots of the Hollywood backlot were intercut with grainy stock footage of kangaroos and kookaburras, settiing the scene for loveable sleuth, Jessica Fletcher's arrival at the saloon, sorry, the pub.

The arrival, by the way, was announced by a typical, true blue, Aussie kiddie. (played by that little kid from David E. Kelly's Picket Fences)

(Door opens, sound of running footsteps)

"Roo, she's here! A bus is in town!"

"Who?"

"A lady just got off the Brisbane bus. She's coming this way, and she'll be right in. There she is!" (Thick cockney accent which sounds like an extra from Oliver!)

TM S'cuse me, Mister Fagin, can I have some more?

That's right. I forgot to mention that Kookaburra Downs appeared to be populated entirely by cockneys. (Mick laughs)

Here's just a few sample lines from some of the fair dinkum locals!

(various characters, for example, the Mayor of Kookaburra Downs was named Edna)

"Nola Drummond, me son Roo."

"Are you here for Ermine McGill Day?"

"I've only come to this godforsaken dump to collect my money. Now where is it?"

"It was only trying to get back the money the governor swindled from the town."

"Alright, so I was there. I waited, but I didn't even see him." (Kookaburra call can be heard in the background)

"That money was to put you through college."

"Face it Mum. That's your dream. not mine."

"I'm a registered bookmaker from Brisbane."

Mick and Tony both laugh

TM That'd it be Brisbane, South London, I'm guessing. I spent the whole episode waiting for Bob Hoskins to arrive and lead the entire cast through 'With a little bit of bloomin' luck' (Song from My Fair Lady)
(MIck laughs)

But not all the locals were "Doing the Lambeth Walk'

There were a couple of actual Aussies, like Sofie Formica, who we met at the local boozer, casually putting a bandage on a kangaroo's paw, as you do. (Mick laughs)

And, she's been given such great exchanges as...

"You've got the healing touch, Linda, that's what counts."

"I only wish it was that easy. You know, I can still see myself in twenty years, still pouring cold ones at the Kookaburra Arms."

(Mick and Tony laugh) TM Yes, I think she might be, too.

TM But the highlight of the show, was definitely Jessica's introduction to Aboriginal culture, which consisted of shots of her, clearly filmed wherever it is they used to do Little House on the Prairie, intercut with ancient footage of cave paintings from some National Geographic doco, and accompanied by the following insightful dialogue....

(Tour guide)
The Aborigines believe that the spirit ancestors created the present world.

(Jessica Fletcher)
During Dreamtime.

(Tour guide)
The elders used to meet here for corroborees. Now, all they get is a few kids out here for a barbie once in a while. That's about it.

(Jessica Fletcher)
It's a shame. A culture that's lasted for 40,000 years has almost disappeared in 200.

TM Yes, probably due to TV shows like Murder, She Wrote, I'm guessing. (Mick laughs)

TM Better wind this up. I've got a coroboree to go to. (Mick and Sancia Robinson laugh) Or, possibly a barbie in the middle of the desert with some kids!

MM Oh, yeah.

TM But, ah, anyway, after an authentic Dukes of Hazzard car chase set to didgeridoo music, everything's been sorted out, and the show ended with Jessica Fletcher being invited to Sofie Formica's wedding.

Jessica Fletcher "If I'm in Australia, I'd love to be there."

"Yeah, well we'll have to make sure she comes back then, won't we?"

TM Yes, unfortunately that statement kind of assumes that she's been here once before. But anyway, drop by anytime you like Jessica, you dinky di sheila!

Ends

Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing this to slag off Americans.

Contrary to the stereotypes of Americans being ignorant about the world outside of their own country, the Americans I spoke to about Australia when I holidayed there, knew a lot more about Australia than the writers of Murder She Wrote.
".....that's what's ahead here on Martin Molloy; the only radio show with an inner core of sphagnum."

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Tony Martin reviews Murder She Wrote Down Under

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:18 am

Back in 1997, the award winning drama series, Murder, She Wrote, aired an episode that was set in Australia.

The result, though it starred some token real Australian actors, such as Sofie Formica, was bad.

It was inevitable that this show would provide fodder for the likes of comedians such as Tony Martin, who reviewed this episode for an edition of Martin Molloy.

Here's the link. Sorry about the quality, but this was recorded on one of those budget blank audio tapes that were sold in discount stores.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bb9vvx2za24p5iz
Last edited by foolhardycousingeorge on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
".....that's what's ahead here on Martin Molloy; the only radio show with an inner core of sphagnum."

tommy five-tone
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by tommy five-tone » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks, FHCG! Really looking forward to hearing some "new" Martin Molloy material.

hegartez
Commercial Crimestopper

Post by hegartez » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:25 pm

Did anyone else remember the episode of Matlock set in Sydney? It's been a long time but I'm pretty sure that as Ben chased the bad guy across the Sydney Harbour Bridge on horseback there was a cutaway to a Kookaburra and/or a Koala - all the "downunders" are gold! (well, maybe the jury's out on Meat Pie down under...)

Espilae
Muckraker

Post by Espilae » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:59 pm

I really wish we had some more Martin/Molloy to listen to...

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Murder She Wrote Down Under

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:19 am

hegartez wrote:Did anyone else remember the episode of Matlock set in Sydney? It's been a long time but I'm pretty sure that as Ben chased the bad guy across the Sydney Harbour Bridge on horseback there was a cutaway to a Kookaburra and/or a Koala - all the "downunders" are gold! (well, maybe the jury's out on Meat Pie down under...)

Chortle.

I recall JAG Down Under. In this, the main characters were investigating a crime from the Vietnam War, when American soldiers were posted here.

The Australian characters spoke in broad accents, and kept referring to Americans as 'seppoes'. This is a shortened form of 'Septic Tank', rhyming slang for Yank.

There was a Hart to Hart Down Under telemovie. Scott McCrae (from E Street, and the host of Vidiot after Eden Gaha left) had a supporting role as a laconic limo driver.

He had lines like, "No worries, Mister H!"

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Re: Murder, She Wrote Down Under: noon Tue 10/1/06 on Ten

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:22 am

I just found a Murder, She Wrote episode guide on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mu ... e_episodes

The episode that was set in Australia, was from season 12 of Murder, She Wrote. it was entitled Southern Double Cross, and aired in the US on April 4, 1996.

Here's a plot summary.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0653619/

I just watched the DVD of this episode. Southern Double Cross was just as bad as I remembered it.