replay the late show?

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

kichigai
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by kichigai » Mon May 28, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm sure, at some point (DVD commentary?), I've heard the team say they didn't want the series replayed.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Mon May 28, 2012 11:01 pm

ShitScared wrote:As I knew this was going to happen one day, I tried an experiment with YouTube.

As a test, I uploaded the entire first episode. It worked a treat.

Then a week later, it was bombarded with copyright claims from record companies. Mainly due to the Countdown segment. Then the record company representing The Bee Gees marked it automatically - only for a 10 second scene where Robin Gibb stumbles from the room to the outdoors. It was then blocked worldwide.
Ah. Wow. I knew the footage was preventing this from happening even if they wanted it all out there. TM's said so many times now that he's glad that there's only the Best Of's out as people would see it warts and all. I still remember those news clippings I posted ages ago about the stresses and tribulations as told by various members at the time.

Pity SS, but yeah I could imagine how the copyright giants would have pummelled you unfortunately. :(

Maybe streaming is the only way to go as l00p's trying? Could it be promoted on the TLS facebook page or would that be putting things at risk I wonder.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared » Mon May 28, 2012 11:21 pm

kichigai wrote:I'm sure, at some point (DVD commentary?), I've heard the team say they didn't want the series replayed.
Pretty much. I've spoken to Santo about this too and he has mentioned that there were many jokes that fell flat and there would be "Press Play on the video" delays. The first Countdown segment ever fell for that technical glitch.

Check out the first "Super Challenge" - two copyrighted music which 1 would probably get released but the other one wouldn't, but observe how put together and stilted it is... even though we find it bloody hilarious.
Blog
Now with EXTRA teabagging.
VALE Ricky M

Lord Waftingham
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Lord Waftingham » Mon May 28, 2012 11:22 pm

baudrillard wrote:... TM's said so many times now that he's glad that there's only the Best Of's out as people would see it warts and all...
mmm, that was Tony's theory about putting so much effort into the GetThis 'official podcasts'.

I'd hate to be the one to tell him, but then he ought to realise by now, he wasted a lot of his (probably uncompensated) time. Tony's wonderful perfectionisim blinds him to the fact that we really do want it all. The sooner he - and they - all realise that, the better. And surely then, all the easier for them to release more of whatever they legally can.

Was just the other day listening to a show focusing on [name any iconic musician], and was reminded that one of the greatest sources of interest for a fan, found by way of 'lost tapes', is the outtakes, blunders, unpolished or simply unliked performances.

In fact, isn't that the basis of how the term 'Champagne Comedy' came about ?
...funny how Arnold Schwarzenegger impressions remind me more of Tony Martin...

Duuuude looks like a lady. Pete Smith speaking | RickyM, How come ? BeyondBlue

ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared » Mon May 28, 2012 11:24 pm

Another obvious block would be the Muckraking Celebrity Tour. The background music?

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour.
Blog
VALE Ricky M

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Tue May 29, 2012 12:29 am

Lord Waftingham wrote:mmm, that was Tony's theory about putting so much effort into the GetThis 'official podcasts'.

I'd hate to be the one to tell him, but then he ought to realise by now, he wasted a lot of his (probably uncompensated) time. Tony's wonderful perfectionisim blinds him to the fact that we really do want it all. The sooner he - and they - all realise that, the better. And surely then, all the easier for them to release more of whatever they legally can.

Was just the other day listening to a show focusing on [name any iconic musician], and was reminded that one of the greatest sources of interest for a fan, found by way of 'lost tapes', is the outtakes, blunders, unpolished or simply unliked performances.

In fact, isn't that the basis of how the term 'Champagne Comedy' came about ?
Ironically...!

TM really, so obviously put a lot of love into the podcasts, as evidenced by the lengths that The Pots'n'Pans would be put through as TM said on air. I guess maybe he was fearing the TLS legacy of the "weaker" moments being memorable without the podcasts, or maybe it's just the only way he thought the show would be more preserved (despite their rapid removal from the MMM site - I think), but I remember thinking as SS and others were uploading the shows in their entirety that it was a bit of a waste of his efforts unfortunately.

Still, he is such a perfectionist, he'd probably done it regardless even knowing that the legacy would be kept in its entirety alive. But there are a lot of comments in some of those stories on TLS about nerves on the night as it was live tv particularly and of course the repeated references to the Mystified Silence sign.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

Big Props
Champagne Comedian

Post by Big Props » Tue May 29, 2012 1:00 am

stupidmeatball wrote:They would be in the boot of Tony's car though.
kichigai wrote:I'm sure, at some point (DVD commentary?), I've heard the team say they didn't want the series replayed.
So the tapes do exist then? - i wonder why i thought they were gone....Maybe it was another show i was thinking about......oh well..

Regarding all the copyright stuff, J_TV password protection is a good way to stop that.. I know all the Aussie Rules i watch is now password protected, after the AFL went on a crackdown - Hasn't been bother in a couple of years since.
Aristotelie Xtrios Findolopolu

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Tue May 29, 2012 1:23 am

Maybe you're thinking of Countdown, which Molly had to steal from those fools at the ABC. Or maybe it's just that there never was any kind of complete release so you presumed they were lost. I'm wrestling with it too as I have some nagging thing about having thought that at once too. l00p's Jtv thing looks good, I had a look at it and the quality's nice and he's set it up really well. I'm not sure if there would be a fuss over them being shown once because of the anniversary, but then again, you can never tell and maybe more extreme precautions would have to be taken after all?
- Jacques Derrida

loop
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by loop » Tue May 29, 2012 9:26 am

Okay I've set up a password for it here "watersports" should work.
*MYSTIFIED SILENCE*

TL: DR "They look for a fucking can of Tuna for 310 pages"
-
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared » Tue May 29, 2012 10:31 am

baudrillard wrote:Or maybe it's just that there never was any kind of complete release so you presumed they were lost.

No, one or two master tapes were lost. There's an easter egg on Champagne edition where they play Jimmy Hannan singing Working Class Man. It was lifted from a VHS tape and titles come up saying that the original master tape was lost.
Blog
VALE Ricky M