Classic feature article on Tony and Mick

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:51 am

Would you believe it? I found this through google while tooling about waiting for my crap non-ipod to sync, and it has to be said that these are fascinating articles! I didn't expect to wind back here while piss-farting around, but why wouldn't I? This is the greatest forum in the world after all.

Anyway, top stuff Dufflecoat Supreme (p.s. hope you manage to avoid that nasty case of the flu :wink:).
I particularily enjoyed the interview with Tony's ex-girlfriend, painting him as slightly OCD, although nice. Ah yes, and memories of Mick's relationship with Sophie Lee. Didn't that defy the odds? Wonder what happened there? Certainly not likely to get any explanation in the Sunday column she writes, anytime soon.
And of course, WD, and the old Rob and Jane mentions. So bizarre really, hopefully thats all been put to bed, albeit with criminal casualness. Imagine if they did let a journo into their 'lives'? It'd be :shock: from our generation, and no mistake.
Anyway thats enough curiosity, from me, into their private lives. For now...
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

Dufflecoat Supreme
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Dufflecoat Supreme » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:00 am

menagers wrote: Anyway, top stuff Dufflecoat Supreme (p.s. hope you manage to avoid that nasty case of the flu :wink:).

I'm Dufflecoat Supreme, of course I've got horse flu. :razz: :razz:
I can proudly say I introduced it to the Australian racing fraternity after Graham and the Colonel entered me in the Chiang Mai cup, the most prestigious of all South East Asian race meets.

I came sixth - my highest placing yet.

Since you last heard from me in 1993 I have also managed to contract Ebola and SARS.
An almost fanatical love of the safari suit.

Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:12 pm

yeah but how's the dandruff? haha
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:49 pm

And the gout?
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:24 pm

I remember one time they did Foolish Behaviour and Mick got Sophie to call in. It was very cute hearing them both on air. Other than that there'd just been Tone using her in the Pizza sketches. But yeah, it's sad because after she was on Mick said something like, yeah you know we could probably have her on once a week to do something like that. It would have been really nice, but sadly it never eventuated.

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:05 pm

And to think they were doing jokes about Sophie Lee in the first series of The Late Show!
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:45 pm

God oh yeah! I actually felt really betrayed by Mick when I heard he was going out with her! I forgot that! Weird.

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:35 am

The Late Show jokes were nothing on the ones they used to do on Triple M back in the day. Lots of; "So what are you up to tonight Mick?" "Oh, I thought I'd get naked and watch the Bugs Bunny show". You know, I didn't get it back then, I had to get my hysterical-choking-on-his-toast Dad to explain it to me. That was why it was just so unbelievable when they started going out. We all thought it was an elaborate joke/publicity stunt. I don't know, it was definitely love, but I do have a lot of dodgy 'off their face' snaparrazi shots in my scrapbook somewhere.

If only someone would appear who had the Breakfast stuff on tape. I swear to God, Rob and Jane used to get early ribbings about going out together, I would to hear this to prove I didn't imagine it.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

Dufflecoat Supreme
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Dufflecoat Supreme » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:47 am

Bean Is A Carrot wrote:And the gout?

The gout's under control. Flares up every Christmas or so, but I can manage it.
Dandruff is a thing of the past thanks to Nizoral, but unfortunately the tinea has worked its way all the way up my leg. Quite a sight - it looks like I'm wearing tan coloured leg warmers.
An almost fanatical love of the safari suit.

Pete the Clown
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by Pete the Clown » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:21 pm

What about the tennis elbow?

"I'm drinking out of someone elses coffee mug."