Anyone Met Any D-Gen Members?

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

kat-rant
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by kat-rant » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:44 am

I met Jane Kennedy in about 1994, and I mentioned that I once got a letter read on The Late Show (I sent in a photo of Howard Jones which looked like Tommy G, and she said she remembered that one and loved it).

Later that year I met Jason Stephens at a fundraiser event in St Kilda, and I had a beer with him. He was a really nice guy.

Funniest was when I met Tony and Mick at a Brown Album signing in Eastland in about 1995. A mate of mine had given me a Bargearse teeshirt which was white and had Bargarse saying in a sound balloon "Where's Me Bloody Donuts?" and I wore it to the signing.

Tony took one look at my tee-shirt, pointed and yelled "Bootleg! Bootleg!!" which embarrassed me greatly. I said I didn't realise it was a bootleg and a friend gave it to me, and he laughed and said he thought it was great. That made me feel relieved that I didn't offend him.

I was laughing though after I walked away and saw what Tony had written on my CD cover - "Dear Katrina, I have no idea where the donuts are! Tony Martin". Mick had just written "Cheers, Mick Molloy", so of course I didn't think he was anywhere near as cool!!!!

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:41 am

Those are very cool stories! At least you didn't have a friend go up to Tony and ask "Could you please pose in a photo with my simple friend?". Simple. Charming.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:22 pm

A friend of mine went to a signing of the Bargearse video, featuring Lucky Grills, at the ABC Shop in a large Melbourne shopping centre. Apparently only 6 people rocked up!
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.

kat-rant
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by kat-rant » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:24 am

That's tragic, poor Lucky!!!

kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:43 pm

That's practically more than the real people who turned up to the Molvania launch in London though...
I'm a thinker.... I thinka!

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:05 pm

There were over 10 at the London Molvania launch. Possibly over 15.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.

danielsanger
Muckraker

Post by danielsanger » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:02 am

I've caught up with Santo a few times during the past 3 months - he is a really down to earth guy - extremely friendly and layback. Just as he is on TV - I don't think anybody could help but like the guy.

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:51 pm

I saw Rob Sitch on Chapel St today - well, it was either him or a very surly shaven-headed thug in wrap-round sunnies (which is why I didn't stare too close). He didn't exactly look like The Medico of Mirth...
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

melbo68
Muckraker

Post by melbo68 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:40 am

Sounds like it might have been him. Rob has some young kids about the same age as mine so I think I understand that look all too well.

Over the years, I've met Jane, Santo and Judith, stood next to Jason Stephens at a film festival, got a smile and a bit of winning chat from Mick Molloy at the Espy one Sunday afternoon and almost tripped over Santo again when he was coming out of a cake shop on Acland Street (empty-handed as it turns out).

Was once on Martin/Molloy and even won a prize. I can't remember what it was now. See? I would have been able to remember if it wasn't for those pesky kids ...
My furniture is not made of pine ...

kat-rant
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by kat-rant » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:11 am

I never had the guts to ring any of the radio shows. Now I wish I had've, it would have stopped me having conversations with the radio! Well, not quite that bad, but I always had things on topic I could have contributed!

On another note, one of my students in my VCE drama class at school is a member of the Choir of Hard Knocks and therefore met Jason Stephens a number of times last year when that show was being made for ABC.
I've got the paper!!!