The Day Finally Arrived... [Bens last post]

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:15 pm

They should be paying us to make these copies! I don't even buy blank DVDs anymore and just use hard drives, so don't ask me! For me it's more that it's something I don't have time to do. But god if there's stuff that isn't available anywhere else through entirely 100% legal channels, what else is there to do? And we're not getting paid to do this but we're being an unoffical releaser for their material. Meanwhile the TGYH DVDs will be in the shops soon. Is this ass-backward or what? I mean seriously.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:49 am

I posted in another thread, which I can't remember at the minute that I'd be willing to do copies for members who were above Muckraker status and had to own both the Champagne Edition and the Bargearse/Olden Days and ask me really nicely. I don't mind doing it, it takes about 30 minutes out my day to do it, just keep in mind my terms which I don't think are unreasonable at all.
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball

Hig
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by Hig » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:22 am

Good point Snatto, I've been around since Ben had the idea of the complete collection, and even supplied him with a VHS or 2 to fill in the gaps for the complete series, but since that time I've lost track of how many posts I've read from people who have just joined and must have these DVDs. I think you have to earn them, so to speak, as you mentioned.

Can you imagine the traffic and number of requests that this site would get if everyone that joins can instantly get their own set of "the Late Show", I think it would cheapen something that is truly special. I am not saying that new members should not be helped out, but we have seen numorous "here then gone" members here over the years, & would be sure that so many new members would join just to get their discs, then disappear.

While your offer, Stupidmeatballs, is to be commended I can see that you may end up having a full time job burning DVDs, when word gets out how easy it is. (Even though it only takes 30min for you to burn 20 odd DVDs, gee burners are getting quick:-D).

In saying all this, it is not meant to be having a go at You, Yeahbutnobut92, or any other new members.
Brilliant, Brilliant

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:19 am

Hig wrote:While your offer, Stupidmeatballs, is to be commended I can see that you may end up having a full time job burning DVDs, when word gets out how easy it is. (Even though it only takes 30min for you to burn 20 odd DVDs, gee burners are getting quick:-D).

In saying all this, it is not meant to be having a go at You, Yeahbutnobut92, or any other new members.
Yeah meatball you know you've taken on a part-time full-time job. I think WD should have to put you on a wage. :) Way to take one for the team meaty! Now I won't have to feel guilty when I get PMed about copies of TLS. :(

I will say though although this is a community, the internet is a totally fractured place. Look I only found this site because I heard about it on aussietorrents. Not everyone wants to post on the forum to get copies of The Late Show. We don't know what pressures, interests, or time they have to do such things. I mean there's the core group of us, and there's people who hang around, and these some who post occasionally. But as long as meatball is happy to copy them for people, I say let them eat cake.

Despite the work I've put into the collection of Martin/Molloy, that's going to end up in other places and people are posting our links elsewhere anyway. And when the collection's done I'm going to have put in a lot more work than Ben could have ever imagined. All the time I put into making that collection as complete as I could is going to go unacknowledged to some degree because of the anonymity of the internet.

I'm sorry but we're a virtual community and virtual communities are fractured and do not have a permanent identity. In fact none of us really do.

Some people just want to watch the show they loved and remembered, not be forced into becoming part of a community of complete strangers. I mean we never know how they've stumbled across the site.

Don't make me mention the secret handshake... oops.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

yeahbutnobut92
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by yeahbutnobut92 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:58 am

I fully agree with both you (Baudy) and Hig,
I believe that they should be earned and treasured.

I have PM'd Meatballs just to clarify that I have the 'Champagne Edition' and 'Bargearse/Olden Days' DVDs (I can provide further proof) and that I am currently working on achieving higher than 'Muckracker' status.

I am (as you mentioned, Baudy), requesting these so that I can watch my beloved Late Show, and relive the 'glory days'.

I (of course), think that it's wrong and somewhat immoral to upload these treasured episodes to the internet for any old asshole to download.

It should stay between hardcore fans!

and as for the 'not be forced into becoming part of a community of complete strangers' mentioned by Baudy...
I have grown accustomed to this community, and do not intend on going anywhere.
Ive found that this community, is a community that I get along with and relate to better than most of my 'real-life' friends.

So I'm not going anywhere. :)

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:03 pm

Well I'm happy to contribute to people who are in need of TLS, but I'll be doing these in my own time, so most likely I'll do a lot at once and then maybe none for a while. As a 21 year old male there is much frinking to be done.
BTW they're in xvid, not dvd.
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:21 pm

I say: yay Meatball! I'd love to be making more copies of stuff for people, but I can't honestly find the time (I don't work near my DVD recorder so can't keep checking on things being burnt). So consider the thank you button hit, even though I have my own Ben-era copies (I hope - haven't checked on them in a while).

Personally, as I'm a little paranoid about this kind of thing, I think as many copies of whatever that can be spread around the better. You never know when you'll lose your own and need to get it back, and (as a fan of some rare stuff) there's so much stuff that would be so much easier to find if people shared it around. Imagine if this board went under - finding TLS would be all but impossible for a lot of people. Which would be A Bad Thing.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:32 pm

I was considering uploading more comedy shows from the UK or US that don't make it here that I think are worth a look. But I don't know how many people around here have connections fast enough. Bloody Australia. You know that to some people we're considered to have third world internet access!!
- Jacques Derrida

yeahbutnobut92
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by yeahbutnobut92 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:01 pm

stupidmeatball wrote:BTW they're in xvid, not dvd.
that's awesome :D
baudrillard wrote:Bloody Australia. You know that to some people we're considered to have third world internet access!!
I KNOW!... it's ridiculous, but thank god Rudd's working on supplying faster internet for us now... or so he says :-|

Nick's Serve
Muckraker

Post by Nick's Serve » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:47 pm

Ive reached higher then muckraker

I own champagne edition and olden days/bargearse (Actually i own two copies of champagne edition because the first one became horrendously scratched due to numerous watches.)

I own all three seasons of Frontline, The Hollowmen, Funky Squad and The Castle.

I also have listened to every episode of Get This, both episodes and podcasts

I am currently creating my own illegal download II, mastering it at uni studios to share.

I know who Greg Evans, Tony Barber, Ugly Dave Grey and Steve Vizard are, even though most are before my time (I am only 19, but i remember Vizard's impersonation of Hinch on Fast Forward and even as a kid not thinking it was funny)

Do i qualify for a copy of The Late Show, ive already watched all the available clips on youtube and crave more. Willing to give money, discs, time, resources and/or my first born for a copy of the series
"Stage...Of Mysteryyy"