Daily Telegraph: "Martin Molloy rift far from funny"

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

Daniel G
Sandhurst Mechanic

Daily Telegraph: "Martin Molloy rift far from funny"

Post by Daniel G » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:54 am

I found this Sydney Confidential article via Jocks' Journal:
Martin Molloy rift far from funny
Article from: The Daily Telegraph
July 11, 2007 12:00am

IN the glory days of their comedy act, funnymen Tony Martin and Mick Molloy could finish each other's sentences - now they don't speak to each other at all.

Details of their bitter split over a movie project emerged yesterday, with Martin claiming he was cut out of the DVD release of Molloy's hit flick, Boystown.

The two, who enjoyed a decade at the top of Australia's comedy industry, are at loggerheads after a "mockumentary" made by Martin was axed.

Martin has told Confidential he was hugely disappointed his 90-minute film was dropped.

"I do think that it's probably one of the two or three best things I've ever done in any medium," he said.

"When I was editing, a lot of actors who were in it and a lot of other people saw it, and I've never had so many people tell me, 'This is the best thing you've ever done', so it is hugely disappointing," he said.

Martin was hired by Molloy Boy Productions to make a mockumentary about the fictional boy band spoofed in the local feature film in which he also had a small role.

But the DVD was released in February, minus the largely improvised Martin piece.

John Molloy, Mick Molloy's brother and producing partner, said the film was scrapped because the team ran out of post-production money and editing time.

"There was amazing raw footage in there, absolutely," Molloy said.

"But we ran out of the time and resources to do it."

But Martin said he offered to pay the estimated $5000 post-production bill himself.

"If it was a choice between the work just being put into a vault and never seen or paying $5000, I was quite happy to pay $5000, given it was four months full-time work went into it," he said.

Martin has not spoken to Molloy since he was told the film would not appear on the DVD.

Some of those who have seen Martin's film suggested it may have been chopped for being "too funny," potentially overshadowing the feature itself.

"Everyone assumes the reason the film wasn't included is it must be terrible," he said.

"I get people emailing and phoning up the radio show and offering their condolences because they think it must have turned out s---house when in fact, in my opinion, the exact opposite is true.

"I'm in the awkward position where possibly the best thing I've done has become a blight on my reputation."

The rift follows Molloy's TV troubles with his solo vehicle The Nation put on notice by Channel 9 programmers to improve its poor ratings or be boned.

related link
Gloom and doom: Molloy on skit row
Wow, there's quite a lot going on in that story.
I wonder if Mick'll say anything about it on The Nation.
I suppose that explains the snubbing of The Nation on Get This, too.
I'm kind of happy that the rift is recent rather than long-running.
I'm praying for reconciliation, and I hope you all are, too...
BUT WAIT!! (No reason, but thanks anyway.)

Pete the Clown
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by Pete the Clown » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:14 am

Same article has appear in The Herald-Sun today minus 1-2 sentences. Guess we all knew something was up with Tony failing to mention The Nation on Get This even when Pete Smith was on last Tuesday. Hopefully the rift will fix up one day soon. Just interest that Tony has jumped on the front foot here by going to the papers about it.

"I'm drinking out of someone elses coffee mug."

wogsncash
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by wogsncash » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:43 am

I wonder who owns the rights to the footage? Could it possibly be released at a later date in a 'special edition' dvd or a 'directors cut' type of deal? Or maybe he might just leak it to a fileshare site...
The 'Ford Crumple' remember that or what about the 'Holden DeathTrap' now that was a car.

Dufflecoat Supreme
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Dufflecoat Supreme » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:37 am

Yeah a few things make sense after reading that.

I and I'm sure all of us hope that they can patch things up as soon as possible.
An almost fanatical love of the safari suit.

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:19 am

Oh wow, this must be true in essence.

What a sad little stuff up. I mean $5000 how ridiculous. I suspect this part of the story, big time. We could have raised it for them! Well thats probably bullshit but you know what I mean. And was it worth it? Boytown wasn't much chop overall. Could it really be as petty as a limelight spat? My gut tells me that maybe, yes it could. Especially with brothers, lawyers and other hangers on in the ear. Lets not have a Cook and Moore type split please, our pissarse little industry isn't strong enough to cope.

OK livestreaming Get This as we speak. FULL ON!! Don't miss this people he is going to speak! And ROB holy shit I need a lie down.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:33 am

Yeesh! Just heard it on air myself!!
This is sad, sad news......

Now I want to see that mockumentary more than ever!!
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)

profernity
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by profernity » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:34 am

Strangely, this story has not been reported in Fairfax papers (SMH, the Age), just Murdoch ones.

Captain_Birdseye
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Captain_Birdseye » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:35 am

just listening to Get This and Tony is pretty disappointed about it.

But i did get the impression he's a little more angry that his work has been left out of the dvd than the actual relationship fallout with Molloy... but I could be wrong there with my read on it.

waker
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by waker » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:37 am

what did he say, for those of us without facilities to listen live

Captain_Birdseye
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Captain_Birdseye » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:52 am

long and short of it:

my lawyers told me not to say too much... its got to do with the boystown dvd mockumentary... what is in the paper's is 'true' re: the breakdown of the relationship... it is sad and he's not vindictive about it but he is peed off.

marsland and kavalee really didn't push into the issue at all which was a bit disappointing but that may have been the plan going in as per lawyer's instructions.