Daily Telegraph: "Martin Molloy rift far from funny"

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers »

Smithy Douglas your signature is hilarious! That must have taken quite a while to note down!

I was fascinated to eavesdrop on someone else ask Tony about this. He made it clear that he wasn't prepared to dick around with the legalities of the situation at all. If it's released he'll be sued - end of story. I wonder if he just wants to forget about it now?
It seems obvious in hindsight now that it was personal, for why else would they stop talking? It seems that Mick was affronted that Tony had so brilliantly outshone him. So, sadly and shortsightedly, Mick tried to stop that from happening. What a mistake. He only just put off the inevitable. Get This v. The Nation - 'nuff said.
As for Boytown, what an excellent package that could have been, not a competition, but a collaboration. Oh well, its ancient history almost now. And Boytown Confidential becomes part of the Tony legend. Like J. Lewis and that 'Day the Clown Cried' film. Or not. Who knows? Both sites unseen.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?
13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards »

The personal angle always was the only one that really made any sense. After all, Tony must have known that, by making a movie using other people's characters, there was never going to be any way he could release it without their permission. The really sad thing is that in recent years Mick has turned into the kind of guy who seems able to get things done in the business / media world - if they were still working together I'm sure he could have helped Tony get a TV show up (for example). Then again, it could have been this power imbalance that split them apart, as Tony keeps on plugging away at pure comedy while Mick slowly becomes a producer / behind-the-scenes figure...
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"
kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim »

maybe in 30 years, Tony will be on This is Your Life and Mick will make an appearance, walking stick in hand, and they'll give each other a big hug and forget about everything.
I'm a thinker.... I thinka!
Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot »

And then he'll finally offer to release the film when everyone's forgotten about it and very few people who care are still alive.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.
menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers »

kim wrote:maybe in 30 years, Tony will be on This is Your Life and Mick will make an appearance, walking stick in hand, and they'll give each other a big hug and forget about everything.
Oooh, careful. Didn't this happen prematurely with Pete n' Dud - with the embittered alcoholic not really that into it at all? Then Cook dies and poor Dudley with his Progressive Supranuclear Palsy spits out some line about how "I didn't love him, it's not like we were married". Comedy partnerships are so fascinating an entity, perhaps the most difficult to describe. But in short, I hope you're right Kim. But mostly I hope there is a lot of wonderful creativity from both individuals inbetween.

Shall we put it to bed?
Put it to bed.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?
baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard »

I didn't like Get This because it didn't have Mick on it. :)
waker
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by waker »

That's funny, I liked Get This because it didn't have Mick in it!*

* Opinion based on post-2000 track record
kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim »

Sigh. Just then I was listening to a few Fat Boy Slim tracks to drown out the drilling sounds next door (same frequency!) and I'd just typed 'Fat' into iTunes and in between them all was Martin/Molloy 'Two Fat Bastards' from Eat Your Peas... sigh.
I'm a thinker.... I thinka!
RomperStomper
Commercial Crimestopper

Post by RomperStomper »

After listening to baudrillard's Martin Molloy stuff (thanks again). The rift may be solved with Pete Smith and Blimpy bringing them together again.

Prophetic stuff from baudrillards up of the MM 23rd Nov 1998 episode. It also had Russell Gilbert on and they started talking about Benny Hill - bang nearly 10 years later we see Russell hosting a show with old English comedy classics - one of them was Benny Hill.
Like a tiger
stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball »

baudrillard wrote:...I thought the Mick Molloy show was only ever any good when Tony and Judith were on it and even then it was piss-weak as there weren't really that many sketches except for Tony's original mini-Mick segment, as far as I recall.
What about the John Laws chauffer sketch, it had me in hysterics for ages. But I think Mick is gonna have a bit of trouble without the Martin coattails to ride
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball