Daily Telegraph: "Martin Molloy rift far from funny"

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:21 pm

These days commentaries get recorded pretty soon after the film opens. Maybe a month or two afterwards. The Tony and Mick split didn't happen until after that.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:10 am

Sometimes even earlier than that - often they'll record the commentary even before the film gets a cinema release.

I think Mick would be the more cordial one out of the fueding duo anyway. he didn't bring it up, and he's the one who did Tony wrong (in the broadest possible sense mind - we all know there are strong arguements on both sides, but Mick stopped Tony's work from getting out there). Realistically, what would he have to be angry about? "Damn you Tone for going public with how I messed you around"?
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:51 am

In response to Hammersmith:

Yeah I agree with your last point.....it would have gone down as a Mick Molloy film but a Tony and Mick spin-off.
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:45 am

The commentarie was recorded years and years before the rift HH, it was recorded around the time of Bad Eggs filming.
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Thu May 14, 2009 12:11 am

Well, it feels dirty and wrong to bump this thread, sorry for that.

My friend just gave me a whole stack of podcasts from a RRR show (no longer on) called The Pinch. Any of you familiar? They were a comedy show with comic guests. There's one with Micallef, and loads with Fleet and so on, and as I go through them I will upload them. That is, unless someone knows of an archive around somewhere? I couldn't find one.

This podcast with Dave O'Neil is quite interesting. In it, he talks about the Martin Molloy feud (around the 15 min mark). It is from 2007. I don't really believe he's an expert on the matter, and he's not claiming that, but still, I thought it might be of interest. There is also a fairly candid gibe at Shaun - no scandals within, just a bit of an eyebrow quirk.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tjjjgmgjngn/Judgement Dave - 23.07.07.mp3
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Thu May 14, 2009 12:35 am

Thanks for this menagers! I'm pretty sure I saw The Pinch do a live show in 2005. It was in an old butcher's coolroom. I remember nothing at all about the show itself, but I remember talking to one of them afterwards and the whole "comedy show with comedy guests" format was mentioned a few times.

I can't say I have much love for, or interest in Dave O'Neill these days, so hearing his wild speculations and slaggings off of more talented people should be amusing at the very least.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

snatto gauro
Champagne Comedian

Post by snatto gauro » Thu May 14, 2009 12:43 am

Thanks menagers looking forward to the fleety eps.

YMV
Champagne Comedian

Post by YMV » Thu May 14, 2009 4:08 am

Thanks Menagers, very enlightening! Can't wait for the other episode you talked about ;)
Shaun Micallef on radio, the complete (ish) eps: Shaun, Beverley and Denise
Latest ep: 10 May 06 (23 Oct 2011)
Micallef ephemera
Youtube
'I'll Explain Later'

mootsy
Muckraker

Post by mootsy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:30 pm

RomperStomper wrote:After listening to baudrillard's Martin Molloy stuff (thanks again). The rift may be solved with Pete Smith and Blimpy bringing them together again.

Prophetic stuff from baudrillards up of the MM 23rd Nov 1998 episode. It also had Russell Gilbert on and they started talking about Benny Hill - bang nearly 10 years later we see Russell hosting a show with old English comedy classics - one of them was Benny Hill.
this and a revisiting of the fridges of madison county? :)

mootsy
Muckraker

Post by mootsy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:00 pm

13 schoolyards wrote:Sometimes even earlier than that - often they'll record the commentary even before the film gets a cinema release.

I think Mick would be the more cordial one out of the fueding duo anyway. he didn't bring it up, and he's the one who did Tony wrong (in the broadest possible sense mind - we all know there are strong arguements on both sides, but Mick stopped Tony's work from getting out there). Realistically, what would he have to be angry about? "Damn you Tone for going public with how I messed you around"?
None of us know what happened. I'm sure BTC was funny but perhaps the bigger picture gives certain validities to both sides. And How do you know it was Mick and not production or something else not just involving molloy? There are alot of other issues involved. Was there communication from parties about what the mockumentary had to be as a standard in order for it to be released before it was even shot? Or was it loosely agreed on. Was there a deadline for it to be handed in. Could both Mick and Tone or all people involved have just sat down and agreed on a resolution? Were there complications in using the original characters blocking the release?

Nobody except the people invloved knows and i think its best left that way.

Honestly it annoys me no end what happened. Martin Molloy were probably the best comedy/political/impressionist/sketch radio duo in not just Australia but probably anywhere in the world at the time. They would have been big in Britain as well as other places.

Anyway i am glad they worked together for as long as they did. I know that working with family or friends can sometimes get ugly even with the best intentions. It starts out fine but if you clash then sometimes that can really scar a relationship. Because business and conflict just arrises.

Mick and Tony seem like the sort of guys who could talk it over a beer though, they have a vast insight into philosophy and humour that most people don't because of their experiences, Ego is the only thing that would get in the way. Sure lawyers were involved, a bit of money and project dispute, but remember that the Boytown movie whilst having some great moments wasn't a hit and the market of people who would have bought the DVD would have been those that follow the D-Gen - Comedy Company crowd.

Anyway, Its late and that's all i wanted to say.