Daily Telegraph: "Martin Molloy rift far from funny"

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:30 am

Nope, no TV screening for BTC - unless they mean the little promo snippets, in which case they could have turned up anywhere. And it's unlikely that it would get a broadcast, considering the trouble seems to be that Tony made a movie using Mick's movie toys and Mick's since decided that he doesn't want to share.

The thing with the argument that Tony "went too far" and "did too much" with BTC is that... well, so what? It didn't stop Mick from making his own movie, and it didn't stop Mick from releasing a DVD version of his film without BTC. At this stage I'm sure if Mick gave Tone the rights to BTC he'd bring it out as a stand-alone or just put it up on the net, as he's already said he's willing to put up the money to finish it himself. At this stage it's not detracting from Mick's film in anyway, and Tone's not asking for anything more (that we know of) - so why not put it out there?

(unless there's some complicated legal reason to do with the rights to the characters - Tony was making a movie using copyrighted characters, after all)
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

gedhead
Muckraker

Post by gedhead » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:27 am

Well, I think it does matter, because who got the funding for the film (which is no easy task) and assembled the cast and ran the production? Imagine if you had put in all that work, and then your best mate makes his own film out of it, using your characters, and he does it for FREE, without having gone through all the pains himself to assemble and fund the production.......the issue isn't about the quality of what he made. I seriously doubt someone would say "oh this is top shelf comedy, let's not show anyone".but rather, "You had no right to go make this and we are not releasing your work on our coattails." I have no doubt legality has alot to do with why Tony can't just release it as his own thing. I also highly doubt it's just Mick saying "nope"...he was not the only one to conceive of, write and produce the main film.

I understand most of you just want to see it, and don't care who's toy is whose in the sandbox. That is fair enough to want to see your fave comedian's work. But in terms of vilifying Mick, just put yourself in the shoes of someone who works in the industry and intellectual property rights....that to me is what I see this all as about. These aren't friend's making home movies, as much as everyone wants to regard them that way - this is the business of filmmaking. And it has to be treated as such, not as favours to mates.

That's fine if Tony was angry about it, but it's sad he felt he had to go public, make people aware their was an issue, then not give details, and knowing this would reflect badly on Mick. Very strange way to try and make up with your mate. Tony claims he was defending a "blight" on his "reputations"...so I guess that matters more than friendship to him.

I am starting to suspect the fact no one has seen it is hyping the actual quality of BTC....wouldn't it be ironic if it came out one day and people are like "Huh,this is what the fuss was all about?" Besides, since "Spinal Tap", nothing has ever come close to surpassing that. At best, all anyone could probably say is "it's good, but it's been done before".

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am

Mick IS NOT a workaholic, you only have to listen to Tough Love to know that sadly. The tank wasn't just half full and not half empty, it was daily running on empty. This is not to say it didn't have it's moments, he's just not thorough-going enough. It came as no suprise when the show was cut from two hours to one, I must say. It would have been the only way to keep it on air for the last two years without Alan Brough.

BTC is dealing with entirely different subject matter than Spinal Tapp.

And obviously Tone is constrained by what the lawyers have said he can discuss without getting himself in legal hot water. So he felt the need to make the issue publicly known so that it didn't reflect badly on him but he's not just being silent about further details for fun, no doubt he'd rather be able to talk about it in more detail, but LEGALLY he can't.

gedhead
Muckraker

Post by gedhead » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:52 pm

Mmmmm....I guess I was thinking in terms of Mick tends to have multiple projects on the go at once while Tony seems to do one thing at a time (and perhaps why each project comes out so well as he's focusing his efforts).

So he felt the need to make the issue publicly known so that it didn't reflect badly on him but he's not just being silent about further details for fun

But did anyone realise this was an issue until he said something about it? Methinks his "reputation" would have continued unscathed if no one said a word. If you know you can't talk about something, then why bring it up? To make yourself look good, even at the expense of others...that's the only reason I can think of.

It's prolly news Tony brought out in a fit of frustration and maybe he regrets it now.

I guess I can sympathise with long time Late Show fans that certainly this will affect things like DVD commentaries and such in the future, as well as that inevitable reunion show when they are all 70! Maybe by then they will milk a reconciliation for ratings! :-)

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:21 pm

gedhead wrote:Mmmmm....I guess I was thinking in terms of Mick tends to have multiple projects on the go at once while Tony seems to do one thing at a time (and perhaps why each project comes out so well as he's focusing his efforts).
Tony does have multiple things on the go at once. He compiled the Bargearse DVD, he has attempted to get shows up with Shaun, he has been on TGYH, he has said he is writing another book, there has been talk of a mystery project, all this while producing 10 hours of Get This per week, much of which has elaborate sketches/ songs all written in the wee hours. 2006, was when he was putting BTC together (an opus magnus during which he also did Get This). He was excited about it, he gave it much 'forward sizzle', his listeners expected to see it on the DVD. When it didn't appear he remained silent until he just couldn't take it anymore. Wouldn't you speak out if you believed you had produced something of your top three best works, and inexplicably to the public, it didn't eventuate? Everyone would call you a liar. He had a right to defend that.
I'm sure Mick works hard, but where is the evidence that he had multiple things on the go?
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

gedhead
Muckraker

Post by gedhead » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:34 pm

Ah, that's part of the puzzle I was not aware of: that Tony had been talking about BTC on the radio. I was not aware of that and it does put some things in perspective. However, the same thing happened with mousePATROL, the show he wrote with Shaun. Shaun also hyped it freely and when it died in the water at the ABC, Shaun regretted ever mentioning it and now has a policy of not speaking about any project he is working on until the contract is more or less signed in blood and it is official.

Mick was developing The Nation and working on BoyTown while still at Triple M, and last I head, Molloy Boy has three other film projects in development. So he does have things on the go - not everything makes it to the light of day.

Good luck to both of them on what ever they do. Maybe the "split" will be good because it will force people to stop comparing what they do with past glories and just let them both get on and do what makes them happy now.

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:29 pm

gedhead wrote:the issue isn't about the quality of what he made.

Um, well, it is for me. I don't think anyone's been vilifying Mick - I know I haven't - but at this stage all I'm interested in is seeing the finished film. I think that you're right and that it is probably is on some level about Mick seeing Tony ride on his coat-tails making a film using the resources he gathered, but seriously? I don't care. Somebody really funny has made a film that - again, from the tiny bit I've seen on the Boytown DVD - looks really funny, and we can't see it because... why again? Mick's annoyed that Tony made it using his resources? Seriously? I think there has to be some legal things going on in the background preventing this from seeing the light of day, because otherwise all we're left with is a whole lot of not much which seems beneath everyone involved. Even if it is becoming a running gag on Get This that Tone's feuding with all his friends.

I don't think too many people seriously think Mick sits around doing nothing. He's always seemed like a hard-working and decent guy (even going so far as to make the Shonky Golf video to give the people out of work after TMMS was axed some work), and the few times I've interviewed him he's seemed very clued-in about exactly what he's doing both in comedy and in business. Which again, makes this whole thing such a mystery to me.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:35 pm

Interesting debate that has sparked up here!!

gedhead, I agree with *some* of your points. I think it's good you mention in your first post that perhaps people on here haven't considered it from Mick's side. This is what spawned quite a few posts - so kudos to you.

Personally, I haven't held blame to either party. I still think they are both awesome and would like them to both be on civil terms once again. And I still want to see BTC.
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)

gedhead
Muckraker

Post by gedhead » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:40 pm

Mason Hell-Cat wrote: I still think they are both awesome and would like them to both be on civil terms once again. And I still want to see BTC.
That is a statement I can completely agree with! :mrgreen: (Actually that's two statements, isn't it?)

Smithy Douglas
Muckraker

Post by Smithy Douglas » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:42 am

Sorry to be re-hashing an old topic but I have been going through all the old Get This episodes for a couple of months now (it takes a while starting form the first season) and came across some talk that sheds a bit of light on what might have happened. In season 2 episode 50 with Ross Noble, Ross comes in before the start of the second hour (well about 19min in) and is gives them all copies of his new DVD. They start talking about all of the Bonus Features on Ross’ DVD (an entire new 1.5 hr stand up show etc) when Tony says something about a DVD he did the bonus features for. About 26 mins in he says that he was told “Oh mate, you cant have that many extras on the DVD its upstaging the film”. Now this has to be Mick Molloy quote purely due to the obligatory “Oh mate” start. He also says that “how can you upstage a film that had a national cinema release” which again points toward Boy Town. He goes on to make various other references to this through out the show too. Just though Id point this out...
New Pana-meta-busa-tyla-fina-supra-ceta-meta-para-bisa-rohipna-bola-feta-nara-suda-coda-niquofed with added nila-co-dipna-quol-mesa-venta-hodine-zantal-50 and a new anti-quosting sifta-fed formula with hypo-ciding-para-musa-bol and ribo-nasal-hifotmine-bafu-quistol-maving-hybo-hybo-giveitawaygiveitawaynow-5. Ask for it by name.