Daily Telegraph: "Martin Molloy rift far from funny"

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:00 pm

RealInspectorShane wrote:...Something I wonder is what side other comedians are taking.
According to the article I read was that Judith Lucy and Jane Kennedy have taken Tony's side, although seeing Mick on TGYH and the Panel X-Mas Wrap would indicate that the rest of Late Show team don't really care about the feud, or won't take sides.

EDIT: Sorry, I was on large amounts of codral when I wrote this, the article concerning Jane Kennedy was about Get This in general, and I thought of it in relation to the the article with Judith for some readon and Judith Lucy was just saying that she saw BTC and said it was funny, so probably not taking sides.
Again sorry about the misinformation.
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Bargearse Commentary

Post by stupidmeatball » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:03 pm

Anyone listened to the Bargearse commentary? Tony was rather suspiciously out of the room when Snato Ghauro was talking to Mick on the phone and then Santo tried to inform Tony of Mick's absence which Tony didn't even acknowledge. Although there was no badmouting of Mick whatsoever from Tony, very noble indeed
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:32 pm

stupidmeatball wrote:According to the article I read was that Judith Lucy and Jane Kennedy have taken Tony's side.
Which article is this?

Here's that John Laws sketch you like.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:02 pm

It was in a Herald Sun Thursday entertainment lift-out ages ago (EDIT: again, thinking of the Get This article and feeling rather sheepish at this moment), and I've got the sketch on my phone :-), love the YouTube downloader.
Also, just for you Bean Is A Carrot, noting ur display pic, my Nan once dated Pete Smith, in his younger days
Now a'Tweetin'.

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:08 am

Hello and welcome stupidmeatball! Love the avatar a great deal, hope we see more of Freako this series.

That's very interesting about Jane and Judith, do you have the article to scan in? We must have missed that. It's not surprising from the girls, they know what Tony's made of. But overall, I think we can guess how this would go down. Surely we've all had a circle of very longstanding friends and a shitstorm has blown through? Generally there's a party who's been done wrong and needs our empathy and support, and the other party just needs to know that they are not going to be ostracised, for they had their reasons that mattered to them.

"What the Late Show needs is love".

More and more I get the feeling that there is some really juicy gossip out there longing to be shared. I'm talking ramming cars in the carpark, cut lips, dog turds set alight in paper bags, having a leak in the coffee pot... You know that sort of thing.

But more importantly, more pressingly, Where in the World is Anthony Martinago? Let's investigate The Harbour...
"No person like that has been seen around here".

<Sigh>

<Sigh>
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

kat-rant
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by kat-rant » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:36 am

I don't know why, but I think it's kinda weird they would publicly state their allegiance to one side or the other.....i mean, i guess it's natural to have an allegiance in any argument or whatever, but to publicly state it, I'd have thought that was something they'd keep private. Not sure if the fans needed to know that detail!

As for the Bargearse commentary, I couldn't help but be fascinated listening to that!!! Well handled by all involved, actually, particularly Tony who, if he wanted to, could have ignored Mick's work in teh original project, but gave him the time and credit deserved without any nasty comments.
I've got the paper!!!

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:15 am

I've had this happen plenty of times and sometimes it's worked where the person who's wrong has been kicked out and sometimes it's worked where the person who's wrong is somehow allowed to go on because they're such an integral part of the group. I hate humanity and I don't know if I'll ever have a circle of friends again in real life. Two or three times bitten, completely and utterly bitter.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:20 am

It seems like such a... teenage thing to do ("hobbles off on his walking frame"). Who has the energy to keep fueds burning for years after the age of 30? If the person's someone in your group of friends, and you used to get along okay with them, eventually you meet up and you've forgotten why you were fighting - in my experiance, at least.

Being a creepy loner, I tend to have individual friends rather than one big 'group', but even then - and with my as demonstrated constantly on this forum endless reserves of hate - there's almost nothing that'd make me turn on a friend forever. We might not be bestest buddies again, but it's not that hard to be civil over a beer.

Now, if Mick and Tone had been sleeping together...
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:56 pm

...yeeess, go on...

*nah, not at all into slash

You are lucky 13 (he he there's a gag), and not a creepy loner ;-), in my experience being over 30 tends to make these fall outs much harder to repair. For a start, we tend to be too busy, and too stubborn to get down the pub for a beer/G&T in the first place. Secondly, we usually have a partner or dear friend, who can see how badly we have been hurt and support our decision to crack the sads. Often those better halves will push us into getting over it; you may have heard "But there's noone like So and so.." or "It'll all come out in the wash" and that's when you go and blow off some steam, let a bit of time go by, then catch up again. But occasionally you can come up against something really fucked. Like in Tony's case working his bollocks off for months, then copping an attitude from a friend, that is frankly bizarre, which must have been tantamount to betrayal. And it is then you might hear "Some people just aren't worth the time" or "Accept that some people just don't love you and move on".

Maybe I'm trying to say that I can understand why they came to a 'no longer on speaking terms' status. Or maybe they're on the phone to each other right now...
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:31 pm

Guys, even if Mick had sacrificed Tony's entire family to a pack of wild antelopes, Tony would not make a negative comment towards him on the Bargearse commentary. What purpose would it have served? A couple of you seemed to find it quite amazing he held back from letting fly.
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)