Daily Telegraph: "Martin Molloy rift far from funny"

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:23 pm

Must admit never saw it, sorry. And I just remembered that he was on the Crackerjack commentary, but I think he wants to be more than he is.
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:05 pm

stupidmeatball wrote:Perhaps it has more to do with the rest of the 'Molloy Boys', maybe some sour grapes that they were never invited to be members of the D-Gen, and maybe they're even shittier because they aren't getting mentioned in all of this.
I can't recall hearing of any of them until Roo on Tough Love.
Appear's that they're havinga good time riding Mick's coattails
The Molloy Boys were really too young to be involved with the D-Gen. One of them studied drama at Flinders University during TMMS era...hence those Loose Booty tapes which used to come over from Adelaide. Another of them worked on TMMS and went to film Tony's sketches in Edinburgh.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.

BringBackTheLateShow
Muckraker

Post by BringBackTheLateShow » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:18 pm

the molloy boys were probably going through puberty when d-gen was around haha!!!

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:21 pm

I just remember Mick saying how shit Roo was on Tough Love when he was roped in more because of Alan Brough's absence.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:24 pm

Mick's brothers are a bit of a wild card in the whole thing - I suppose as Mick's empire expanded he needed people to help out with stuff, but they're not exactly doing well with the comedy. But to be fair, they've only really turned up in less-important things Mick's worked on. It wasn't as if Roo was one of the members of Boytown.

I just think it's a real shame that out of all the Late Show team, Tony is the one who seems the least interested in setting himself up from a business angle (even Jase is a big-wheel producer, and Mick tried to get a film / TV factory on the go) - and he's probably the one who needs to the most, considering the amount of burning bridges (not all his fault, of course) that're behind him. It's probably why he's focusing on books for the moment - it's probably the creative area where there's least interferance from (and reliance on) others to get the job done your way.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:24 pm

Either that or post on a forum. :)

Actually, I remember over ten years ago I saw a SHORT film that starred Mick's brother. I can't remember if it was a comedy or what it was, but it was bloody awful. I'm pretty sure it was an AFTRS project.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

BringBackTheLateShow
Muckraker

Post by BringBackTheLateShow » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:17 pm

i see mick as someone who isnt successful unless someone is helping him along the way. look at the late show. he was best when he was with tony, when he was muckraking with jase and in shitscared. but solo, he was fairly ordinary.

now the mick molloy is a prime example of mick going by himself and not succeeding. i found it unfunny, and only like the parts of tony martin and judith.

the nation sucked, and was the worst excuse for a tv show since arcade. (like my joke)

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:32 pm

bobs scrapbook was pissa too, but again, no mick involvement
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:08 pm

Has anyone listened to the Crackerjack commentary?
Mick has a bit of a prophetic comment about how he and T Martin are both willing to fight for their art, and will stop at nothing to get what they want...
well he was right I spose
Now a'Tweetin'.

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:33 pm

No, it's the only DVD of the group's I don't have. Is it a good commentary overall?
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?