Daily Telegraph: "Martin Molloy rift far from funny"

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:38 pm

I've rented it and COPIED it, but I haven't listened to it yet.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:42 pm

It's a pretty funny commentary - Mick's clearly drunk, but he's having a good time. And Crackerjack is a great comedy film on top of that, so with most 2nd hand places having it for around $5, it's well worth the cash-ola.

Inside goss: A girl I was going out with a while back had a friend who did the mixing for that commentary track, and supposedly they had to cut out huge chunks where Mick slagged off the Australian film funding bodies in no uncertain terms.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:17 pm

Damn I thought you or someone had said that stuff was left in. If only I could get a copy of that, I'd die a happy man.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:25 am

Are there big gaps of silence? Or, like Tony, does he go back in days later filling them in in sombre tones?
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:07 am

pssst... the funding bodies of Australian film are FUCKED for what I want to make, god knows why they should even have problems for seasoned performers like Mick. Ooops, I'll get skel started!
- Jacques Derrida

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:41 am

No, there's no big gaps or anything in it - to be honest, it's hard to know how much "big chunks" actually was. It doesn't sound (from what I can recall) like there were big edits, but no-doubt if you listened really, really hard you could pick them. And nope, no "this is to replace a bit that the beaks removed" bits from what I remember. All drunk, all the way through.

Plus it's a top film!

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:43 am

I know it's a big ask potentially, but you could get a copy of them 13?
- Jacques Derrida

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:09 pm

The bits cut out? Sorry, no chance - this was years ago even at the time, and I'm no longer in contact with that particular ex (try ABC Darwin if you want to call her yourself) so I couldn't get to the person who was at the recording. And I'd say they would have been erased at the time anway.

You'd have more luck tracking down Mick and getting him drunk. Tho' I think BoyTown scored government funding so presumably his attitude changed over time.

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:33 pm

13 schoolyards wrote:It's a pretty funny commentary - Mick's clearly drunk, but he's having a good time. And Crackerjack is a great comedy film on top of that, so with most 2nd hand places having it for around $5, it's well worth the cash-ola.
Or about $15 for the Crackerpack, which also has Bad Eggs, which I found to be a great investment
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball

Hammersmith Hardman
Muckraker

Post by Hammersmith Hardman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:16 pm

Does anyone know when the Crackerjack commentary was recorded? (As in, was it before or after the rift emerged...?)

I listened to it last night as I drifted off to sleep and Mick's seems quite cordial towards Tone during his turn as Les Nester.

My take is that even though they aren't technically a comedy team anymore to most fans Tony Martin + Mick Molloy are synonymous with each other. If BTC is anywhere near as good as the rumors suggest then Mick still would've received a lot of credit (whether it was deserved or not) as it was a spin-off from his own film, was an accompanying piece on his DVD, and as I said, Tony and Mick are as synonymous in Aussie comedy as Clarke + Dawe.
"The only man I've ever called a coward is Brian Doyle-Murray"