Degrees of separation between us/them.

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Fri May 27, 2005 9:10 pm

kim wrote:Re: the letters being read out... excellent. I always thought those were made up!
Some of them clearly were, but mine wasn't. I have a copy of it somewhere.

Also, a friend of a friend was one of the people vox-popped by Mick and Tone. This girl went to a Catholic school and the vox pop she was in went out around the time they did the Mark McKillop parody and because she'd been in the vox pop she got hassled by the nuns!

guthrdavkfc
Commercial Crimestopper

Post by guthrdavkfc » Sat May 28, 2005 2:30 am

cause catholic girls are the most innocnet girls in the world i believe lol. Damn i could...anyways.

I once shared bodily fluids with a dog that happen to be the 3rd cousin, twice removed from Charlie the Wonderdog.
Why can't we be friends? I didnt mean to steal your dog, then make puppies with it, I SWEAR!

Jen
Muckraker

Post by Jen » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:41 pm

Ooh! ooh! My old piano teacher was Ellen Fanning's mum, who was on the Panel one night. She was a journo on 60 Minutes for a few years.

jen

THREE DEGREES!

frenchchicks in the nuddy
Muckraker

Post by frenchchicks in the nuddy » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:16 pm

My Mum & Sister featured in a clip on the Panel episode in 2000 I think it was. When she got booted for the first series of Popstars.

ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:04 pm

There's a few 6 degrees of separation for me with the crew, but here's the most interesting one.

1) Me - best classmate friend at radio school
2) best classmate at radio school - friends with Dan Ilic from Ronnie Johns
3) Dan Ilic from Ronnie Johns - friends with Ed Kavalee
4) Ed Kavalee - Tony Martin

Okay.. 4 degrees :)

But recently I can now exclude friend from radio school as I am friends with Dan.

DeadsetLegend
Muckraker

Post by DeadsetLegend » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:17 am

My best friends Dad was a big fan of The Late Show and everything they produced. I am not sure how exactly he knew the Rob and Jane and the gang, but he did. Could be through his work with Rally Australia and The Hopman Cup, but who knows. Anyways, my whole life, I grew up staying over my best friends house practically everyday after school and every weekend, and I always read this signed photo graph that was on the wall in their hallway. It was a picture of Rob as Mike Moore and beside it was 'Rick! Where were you?! We PARTIED! Rob' - Rick being my best friends Dad. I used to look at it everytime I was at their place, knowing I knew the face beside the scribble. It was framed and I think Rick really adored it. But then a lot of things were framed in their place - even a dismissal letter from an old boss :lol: But it wasn't until years later, when I didn't visit my best friends house nearly as often (and now I am lucky to go there once a year) that I realised it was Rob Sitch. It was only a few years back that I became a huge huge fan of the gang and began collecting for myself all the Frontline dvds and The Late Show and The Castle on dvd, and joined internet groups dedicated to the gang. And it was then that it occurred to me that I knew the man in that photograph...I'd always laughed at it - Mike with his classic hair, and Rob with his whacked out loopy handwriting.

Funny the connections there are. :roll:
Emma, there’s an ancient current affairs recipe my grandmother gave me. You take any story, add sex, and stir

Compulsorily acquired. You know what this means don’t ya? They’re acquiring it compulsorily!

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Degrees of separation between us/them

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:41 pm

Someone I know from my school days now owns the EK Holden which was driven by Eric Bana (played Con in The Castle) in his 1997 sketch comedy series.
".....that's what's ahead here on Martin Molloy; the only radio show with an inner core of sphagnum."

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Degrees of separation between us/them

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:44 pm

Ten years ago, I was having a meal one night at Young and Jackson’s (a famous Melbourne Pub).

Jack Jones, who is best known as having been the lead singer of Southern Sons, but sang as John Farnham on ‘Five in a Row’ was performing there. I think I walked right past him as I went to a table.
".....that's what's ahead here on Martin Molloy; the only radio show with an inner core of sphagnum."

kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:33 am

in 1995, having no interest in jack jones whatsowever, i actually joined a group of friends to see him perform at the canterbury RSL over a meal. must have cost about $6 or something. so this counts as a degree of separation??
I'm a thinker.... I thinka!

Eddie Blake
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Eddie Blake » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:57 am

This isn't D-Gen related but I feel I can share it anyway.

I went to primary school with the daughter of Seven's Melbourne newsreader Peter Mitchell.
"Well David, what do you think of the Andromeda Galaxy?"
"I gave it four billion stars."
"Me too."