HD TV - Home and Away

Your favourite Late Show moments!

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

Shane

HD TV - Home and Away

Post by Shane » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:04 pm

I hope someone checks in here sometime and has some idea of what I am talking about, and replies...and then I hope I remember to come back...

Accepting all that, can anyone remember the 'HDTV' skit? I am pretty sure it was on the Late show and it consisted of Alf and Tom (Ray Meagher = Alf) from home and away in the Dinner of summer bay talking about a tragedy, and everything they say they describe it in excruciating detail. ie: Everything is highly defined. It is one of the funniest things I remember seeing and I am trying to find out how to get my hands just on that skit.

Is it on any of the best bits DVD's?

Maybe u should email me if you do remember it and know where to find it??? Because it is unlikely that I will remember to come back...

shanegreenup@hotmail.com

Thanks

BeerStud2
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by BeerStud2 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:57 pm

Actually, that skit was from Andrew Denton's channel 7 show.

Cheers.

Aegist
Muckraker

Post by Aegist » Sun May 11, 2008 3:51 pm

Thank you Beer Stud.

I presume by Dentons channel seven program you mean "Denton"?

I'm finding it impossible to find this skit, and now that I find out that The Late Show didn't do it, I'm even more screwed. I can't find anything online about "Denton" the program. I get lots of hits for Enough Rope, but nothing for his earlier works.

It's driving me crazy (still - 4 years after the initial post) that I keep thinking of this skit, and no one has ever heard of it.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Sun May 11, 2008 10:01 pm

Yep there's no way you'll find any Denton on the internet. It's another one of those shows that pretty much went to air and not even I archived although I taped them at the time - I can't remember why - but I'd always tape over them. I still have the Tony Martin intro / sketch to upload sometime, but other than an interview he did with Jello Biafra from the Dead Kennedy's, that's all I still have. HD would have only just been invented around about that time. I guess Denton was ahead of his time back then.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Mon May 12, 2008 10:47 am

There's always the chance it'll turn up on DVD - one of Denton's early ABC shows is coming out in a few months, though I can't remember which one (I think it's The Money or the Gun, but don't hold me to it). Denton is a pretty big star these days so his old stuff might keep trickling out...

*edit* actually, after a moment's thought I'm amazed that there's no old Denton stuff on the net - surely he was a pretty big name even back then? I'm guessing people have taped his stuff and still have it somewhere - you'll just have to ask around a heck of a lot. If DAAS Kapital can turn up, surely Denton can.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared » Mon May 12, 2008 11:36 am

13 schoolyards wrote:There's always the chance it'll turn up on DVD - one of Denton's early ABC shows is coming out in a few months, though I can't remember which one (I think it's The Money or the Gun, but don't hold me to it). Denton is a pretty big star these days so his old stuff might keep trickling out...

*edit* actually, after a moment's thought I'm amazed that there's no old Denton stuff on the net - surely he was a pretty big name even back then? I'm guessing people have taped his stuff and still have it somewhere - you'll just have to ask around a heck of a lot. If DAAS Kapital can turn up, surely Denton can.
Love to get my hands on a copy of Stairways To Heaven.. I saw it on ebay once but I got outbidded.
Blog
Now with EXTRA teabagging.
VALE Ricky M

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Mon May 12, 2008 3:00 pm

Actually, it's listed on the ABC site as "Enough Rope with Andrew Denton - Money or the Gun", so it might be a best-of special thing. Or even that cancer follow-up special from a while back.

There's also a Doug Anthony All-Stars DVD listed for August, alongside the Chaser election specials and a special edition of Summer Heights High. And all of Sea Change in September!

loop
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by loop » Tue May 13, 2008 4:07 am

I found part of this sketch on the end of a tape i found but the tape ended halfway through the sketch
*MYSTIFIED SILENCE*

TL: DR "They look for a fucking can of Tuna for 310 pages"
-
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Tue May 13, 2008 8:38 am

Oooh, what All-Stars DVD? No specifics? Hope it's a full edition of Kapital with commentaries explaning in detail what the hell they did to that insanely Frankenstein laugh track.

I have a tape of Stairways from when they played them all on Rage if you want to borrow it ShitScared.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Tue May 13, 2008 10:00 am

No more info than that on the DAAS dvd, I'm afraid - my guess would be on some kind of concert video, but it's just a guess.

I found a bit of Denton on the end of an old tape once - Anthony Morgan was going nuts live on a cold Melbourne street I think. I might have even digitised it, but God knows where it is now (unless I sent it to someone)...