Chances of a Reunion Late Show?

Your favourite Late Show moments!

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

mootsy
Muckraker

Post by mootsy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:48 pm

Do you think it's possible the original team can get together for a reunion series or do you think the 92-93 show was captured at the appropriate moment in time and thus no need for revisiting ..

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:33 pm

I'd like to think they'll do a 20th anniversary special next year, but the "funnyman feud" makes me think this is unlikely.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:19 pm

I think the best we could hope for would be a "best-of" presented by the guys. And even then you probably wouldn't get / need everyone there for that. Just get Jase and Judith!
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Chances of a Reunion Late Show

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:43 pm

Yes, the 'funnyman feud.'

Comedians can, it seems be quite a sensitive bunch, often having fallings out over 'creative differences.'

Forgive me for looking at the rift between the two involved in said feud through the prism of my own life, but when I've had differences with my closest friends, we have eventually been able to talk things out, and resolve our issues.
Bean Is A Carrot wrote:I'd like to think they'll do a 20th anniversary special next year, but the "funnyman feud" makes me think this is unlikely.
".....that's what's ahead here on Martin Molloy; the only radio show with an inner core of sphagnum."

Lord Waftingham
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Lord Waftingham » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:15 pm

How long did Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis hold out for ?

And did one of them make a mockumentary that was rumoured to have more cut-thru than the movie it was ... mockumenting ?
...funny how Arnold Schwarzenegger impressions remind me more of Tony Martin...

Duuuude looks like a lady. Pete Smith speaking | RickyM, How come ? BeyondBlue

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:39 pm

foolhardycousingeorge wrote:Yes, the 'funnyman feud.'

Comedians can, it seems be quite a sensitive bunch, often having fallings out over 'creative differences.'

Forgive me for looking at the rift between the two involved in said feud through the prism of my own life, but when I've had differences with my closest friends, we have eventually been able to talk things out, and resolve our issues.
The mistake in your argument is the phrase "closest friends". Even back during the Martin / Molloy days they made it very clear in interviews that they steered clear of each other outside working hours. Not that they weren't friends, but their friendship was based around work. Once that went sour, it's hardly like they'd be kept together by a shared loved of the Richmond Football Club or dodgy 80s films.

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Chances of a Reunion Late Show

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

I will now publish a retraction.

I was wrong.
".....that's what's ahead here on Martin Molloy; the only radio show with an inner core of sphagnum."

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Sorry if I came on a bit strong. When it happened there was (and still is from some quarters) a lot of "oh no, how could this have happened, they seemed so close" when - to me at least, and of course I could be wrong - it really seemed like little more than a good working relationship, especially after Martin / Molloy finished.

I mean, clearly they worked well together (and presumably enjoyed it too), but anyone over the age of 25 who's had a real job knows that you can get along well with workmates without having to be bestest buddies with them. Reading between the lines, at least one of the duo seems to be someone who'd bear a grudge, which makes a cosey resolution to the "feud" unlikely in the medium term.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:52 am

And now for an ironic moment. From the Martin/Molloy website back when they were putting out Poop Chute, I guess maybe they were infuriated that interviewers would ask this very question? I mean, I guess ironically Tony and Mick were trying to present their work together and were just tired of being haunted by the spectre of their older work overshadowing their new work together!

What is Poop Chute?

It's the new album from Martin/Molloy.

Who?

Tony Martin and Mick Molloy - hosts of Martin/Molloy, the top-rated and award-winning drive-time radio show heard weekday afternoons on 20 stations around the country.

Oh right - isn't that the show where they seem to think shouting and using bad language is funny?

Er...you remember they used to be on The Late Show, Saturday nights on the ABC.

Ah yes, now that was a good show - when's that coming back?

It's not - they do this radio show now - they've been doing it for two years. Their last album "The Brown Album" went Gold in three weeks, sold over 50,000 copies and won the ARIA Award for Best Comedy Album.

Right...right...The Late Show - I love that stunt-man thing they used to do.

Like The Brown Album, Poop Chute is a double CD or cassette, yet retails for the price of a single. It contains over 2 and a quarter hours of material from Martin/Molloy which is a new world-record for a comedy album. It contains 87 individual tracks and took Mick, Tony and Martin/Molloy Production Supervisor Vicki Marr over 5 months to assemble from over 100 hours of material!

Really? That time they got Joan Kirner to sing that song on The Late Show - now that was funny. Is that on this thing?

No! It's a brand-new album! Poop Chute!

"Poop Chute"...That's a bit immature isn't it?

The title makes perfect sense once you've listened to the album, which you really should do - it features as many of Mick & Tony's raves as they could get past the lawyers, there's a couple of their inexplicably popular "phone calls", several of their favourite characters like Tum & Phul, Clacker and The Wedgies, as well as over 20 of their most-requested sketches including "Humpy", "Patrick Stewart At The Drive-Thru", "Caution Squad", "Barnyard Introductions" and "The Tablets With The Really Long Name". There's choice bits about Michael Jackson, Stephen Hawking's wedding night, Paula Yates, Dr Jack Kervorkian, Mr Nude Australia, David Copperfield, Bjork, Ian Botham, That bloke with the stretchy arms off The X.Files, Danni Minogues's breasts, Antonio Banderas' genitals and that mysterious "Core of Sphagnum" from the panty shield commercials. Believe it or not that's just the beginning - there's also a couple of surprise cameos, a highly insulting interview purportedly with Sir Donald Bradman and several appearances from Mick & Tony's long-time booth announcer Pete Smith.

Ah yes, now he appeared on The Late Show didn't he?

It's Poop Chute! It's out now! It's bloody good value! It's perfect for Christmas!

They should bring that Late Show back you know. Bargearse - now that was funny!
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:36 pm

:) That's okay.
13 schoolyards wrote:Sorry if I came on a bit strong. When it happened there was (and still is from some quarters) a lot of "oh no, how could this have happened, they seemed so close" when - to me at least, and of course I could be wrong - it really seemed like little more than a good working relationship, especially after Martin / Molloy finished.

I mean, clearly they worked well together (and presumably enjoyed it too), but anyone over the age of 25 who's had a real job knows that you can get along well with workmates without having to be bestest buddies with them. Reading between the lines, at least one of the duo seems to be someone who'd bear a grudge, which makes a cosey resolution to the "feud" unlikely in the medium term.