Woof Woof?

Your favourite Late Show moments!

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

seewhy
Sandhurst Mechanic

Woof Woof?

Post by seewhy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:43 pm

Hi all!

Just wondering if someone can clear up something that's a bit of a mystery to me... :)

Can anyone here tell me what Santo's 'woof woof' at the end of quite a few of the 'Graham & the Colonel' sketches was in reference to?

ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:53 am

I can't exactly remember why - but it also dates back to the 3EON (aka MMM Melborune) breakfast show when they had Graeme and the Colonel - it's on the Breakfast Tapes CD where Santo said it then.

seewhy
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by seewhy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:36 am

Thanks for that info! I'll have to have another listen to that CD then :)

Steve
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by Steve » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:36 pm

Woof Woof originated from "World of Sport", a long running Sunday morning sports show on channel 7 that went for 25 years. The voiceover man was "Uncle Doug" Elliot who did live reads for commercials and sponsors. He would alway end his speel with "Woof, woof".

In the 80's on Melbourne radio 3KZ there were two football commentators called "Wally and the Major". Along with the Anchorman, Harry Bietzel (sic), Major was up in the commentry booth and Wally did the around the ground crosses to the change rooms etc.

When the D-Gen started on EON/MMM, everyone assumed at the time that these were the origins of the names and the phrase "woof woof", although I don't believe any TLS members have confirmed or denied it.
"Sturt was a good film... but it was no Strzelecki"

R.I.P. GTV-9 Bendigo Street, Richmond... A lifetime of memories behind those red brick walls.

Member #46

ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:32 pm

Steve wrote:Woof Woof originated from "World of Sport", a long running Sunday morning sports show on channel 7 that went for 25 years. The voiceover man was "Uncle Doug" Elliot who did live reads for commercials and sponsors. He would alway end his speel with "Woof, woof".

In the 80's on Melbourne radio 3KZ there were two football commentators called "Wally and the Major". Along with the Anchorman, Harry Bietzel (sic), Major was up in the commentry booth and Wally did the around the ground crosses to the change rooms etc.

When the D-Gen started on EON/MMM, everyone assumed at the time that these were the origins of the names and the phrase "woof woof", although I don't believe any TLS members have confirmed or denied it.
It all makes sense now!

Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:13 pm

Top work, Steve! I knew you'd come through with the goods!

I've never questioned the 'woof woof' thing but glad I know it now.
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)

seewhy
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by seewhy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:54 pm

Thanks Steve! :D

nsk

fag

Post by nsk » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:42 am