I know - a long shot. Bring back the Late Show petition!!

Your favourite Late Show moments!

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

kim
Champagne Comedian

I know - a long shot. Bring back the Late Show petition!!

Post by kim »

I know... these things don't always work. But we can always try! I was inspired by the thread on the new pilot Tony's doing - I want to let him know we want him to do as close a show to TLS as possible.

The thing is - you need to email it round to people, put it on your website... gotta pimp the petition.

14 signatures so far! Let's aim for 140. No, 14,000!

http://www.petitiononline.com/champers/petition.html
LSNut
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by LSNut »

#15!
Traction Jackson
Big Props
Champagne Comedian

Post by Big Props »

# 19 here.

skel
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by skel »

Dumb question I know, but if The Late Show came back would it be as good? I don't think so. I can't see ShitScared being as funny now with a balding Rob Sitch. Let's face it. The Late Show relied on youthful, undergrad humour. they didn't care who they pissed of. The Late Show team are different people now (maybe the exception is Tone), all millionaires. I just wouldn't wanna see a lame return. However i think they could do something just as good together, just not the same format. (Please don't hate me)...
Singo's a pooftah!

It's a new blog! Read it before I lose interest in it...
http://skelsmad.blogspot.com/http://www.skelsspew.blogspot.com
13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards »

When I hear 'bring back The Late Show', I hear people hoping for a show that's made using the principles of The Late Show - funny people doing stuff that they think is funny with mates who share their sense of humour. So a new 'Late Show' wouldn't automatically have the same segments and jokes even if it did have the same cast - it'd be them working together doing what they thought was funny now. Or does everyone pretty much want them to re-do the old show?
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"
Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot »

I happily signed the petition, but I'm with schoolyards, I'm aware that it wouldn't be the same show if they all got together again. It would be different, perhaps better, perhaps worse. What would be key to it would be for them to have the same attitude as they had in 1992/93. Unfortunately I don't think they would. As has been pointed out, Working Dog are all millionaires whose main interest in TV these days seems to be flogging concepts overseas. The Jetlag travel guides are great and show they still have some of the attitude that made them great, but I'm skeptical as to whethe they'd be up for a live sketch show every week. As for Mick, he seems quite lazy, comically these days. With Tough Love he's just kind of pootling along. Sure he puts out the odd film, but in terms of sketches I don't know whether he'd be up for it either.

What would be better would be for Tony Martin to finally get his own TV series. Get This has proved that he's still got it.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.
skel
Brilliant, Brilliant

re

Post by skel »

I could see Tone doing something akin to The Daily Show. He;d rock at that
Singo's a pooftah!

It's a new blog! Read it before I lose interest in it...
http://skelsmad.blogspot.com/http://www.skelsspew.blogspot.com
kim
Champagne Comedian

i do agree..

Post by kim »

Yeah... I do agree with Schoolyards and Bean, even though I started the petition! It's all about bringing something back that still has the attitude of The Late Show. Which is why the petition is directed to Tony Martin and not Working Dog specifically.

The fun, the satire - all unencumbered by the realities of commercial television and ratings. Bring it back! And yes, a Tony version of The Daily Show would be brilliant!
LSNut
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by LSNut »

I agree with everyone's sentiments here ..

First and foremost a straight replica of TLS just wouldn't work - it's a different time & age as has been noted & WD / T.M. know all that .. rehash is simply not in any of their vocabularies ..

Agree also a Daily Show style program could really work, but would be a pretty fine line .. re-watching the Mick Molloy show Tone's contributions worked so well it was some of my favourite stuff on the show - but I'm not sure Tone would work or would be comfortable as a frontman of his own show ?

On TV that is .. Get This has been the highlight of my year - I never honestly thought he could do another radio show to top M/M without trying a straight rehash but he has .. the show works perfectly with Ed, Mars etc. I just don't know if you could or if it's worth trying to translate that to TV .. if it's said radio is only a lesser substitute for TV as an entertainment form in the modern age - GT proves the theory wrong ..

As for WD .. what impresses me so much is that they are savvy enough to know what works for each age they have produced a show - TLS was *perfect* for its era as D-Gen was before it .. Frontline summed up 90's so well (though of all their programs its proabably the most ageless) as did The Panel .. whilst in the modern age of reality shows, iPod's & youtube .. TGYH is the perfect 5-minute short-grab entertainment that modern society craves ..

Let's just hope they continue to keep producing great stuff well into future ..
Traction Jackson
13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards »

Good point about Working Dog creating the perfect YouTube show with TGYH - while I'm not the show's biggest fan, I am glad it's doing well in the ratings, if only because it's giving people like Tone and Shaun Micallef some TV exposure. Of course, then Fifi Box gets offered all the gigs...

I still think there's some hope for Mick - I'm assuming Boytown has been taking up most of his energies for the last year, so hopefully he'll lift his game in 2007. But yeah, Tone does seem to be the one still consistently delivering the goods at the moment - still, having recently re-watched some of The Mick Molloy Show, I think something like that could become the 'new' Late Show if it was given a chance. TGYH has shown us that there's plenty of non TLS comedians out there who could come up with 10 minutes of something decent a week if they were allowed to go off and write / perform their own material. Why Bob Franklin hasn't been given his own sketch show is a constant mystery...
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"