Anyone got audio of?

Your favourite Late Show moments!

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Wed May 28, 2008 9:05 am

We toured austereo last night and thankfully I managed to tell the guy who was taking us through the tour (he's a commerical producer) that I'm good friends with his brother. I snuck it in at the end of the tour, so no one really noticed, but yeah, I asked if it was okay to call him and he said yeah, and that he thought he recognised me! He just said don't be put off if he's too busy to talk and is a bit quick on the phone! I hope it opens a door for me. I can't work regionally. How the hell did you avoid it Shitscared?????????

I kept asking about protools and made sure he knew that I was completely familiar with adobe audition, so yeah I'm sure I made an impression on him.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Wed May 28, 2008 9:54 am

Are you sure you can't work regional? I know SS knows far more than I do, but back in the mid-90s when I half-heartedly looked into radio everyone told me that regional stations were the only place you could get a start - it was the same for 'proper' journalism and any kind of TV work (or it was back then), which is why I never ended up going down those paths. It probably only would have been for a year or two anyway, but still...

On the up side, maybe Adelaide counts as regional (ha ha).
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared » Wed May 28, 2008 10:13 am

I shit you not (no pun due to my username), I just got lucky. I still pinch myself to this day. I happened to be at the right place at the right time, and I'm a networking whore (in a good way). I remain in contact with them, and most of the time I end up being close friends. It also depends which track you want to go down - Announcing, Producing, Journalism, etc.

The reason why they say to go regional is to develop your skills and push yourself to the limit. 3/4 of the announcers you hear on air now started out regional. The idea is to go out there, get rid of all the cliches and bad habits, and hope you score big metro. In the industry you get moved around ALOT.

You may impress the people, but you also have to backup what you impress.

I could write a novel here...

13 is right - some areas consider Adelaide as regional haha. :P
Blog
Now with EXTRA teabagging.
VALE Ricky M

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Wed May 28, 2008 10:34 am

No jobs ever come up on the jock's journal that are in Adelaide. The best bet I have is trying to network with this friend's brother. I can't leave Adelaide because I have a state housing house and I could not handle living in a regional market. I guess I'm going to have to go back to film. I heard there are a lot of films being made in SA at the moment, so I guess it's time to start trying to get that crap working again. I only really did the course because I was in a bit of a panic. I just really need to learn pro-tools and indeed I know why people are supposed to work in a regional market but that's exactly what that guru guy said, Adelaide is the place to make mistakes so indeed in a way it IS a regional market already.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared » Wed May 28, 2008 12:32 pm

Don't just rely on JJ (though it's a great independent radio newsletter site - cheers to Dave Rogerson), try Radioinfo.com.au too. They go off subscriptions and you need an account to get into the site, but the account is free to sign up, and the jobs part is free. Articles etc are the ones you pay money for.

Question though - why can't you go regional? Most regional places are cities, but quieter... and goddamn beautiful, such as:

Sunshine Coast QLD
Gold Coast QLD
Townsville
South Coast NSW (Wollongong - Nowra)
North Coast NSW (Gosford, Newcastle, Coffs Harbour)
Canberra
Anywhere in Tasmania

If you end up getting a gig out regional, most of the time the station will help you set up home etc. You'll be surprised how cheap rent is for a decent place.

I think you're like many people (like myself at one stage) and too afraid of going out of your comfort zone. I nearly ended up doing a regional gig for the ACE Radio Network and would've moved to Colac, but this Brissy gig came up beforehand.

But if you're determined - you will move anywhere for doing what I like to call a "paid hobby".
Blog
VALE Ricky M

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Wed May 28, 2008 2:58 pm

I'm with SS - 99.9% of the time the good jobs in media aren't where you are. For print stuff even Melbourne is dying out these days as everything goes to Sydney, but it could be worse - Tasmania's only newspaper film reviewer has to work out of Melbourne. But the rest of Australia is really nice (unless it's hot) and regional places have really, really cheap rent. And once you get established, there's always the chance that the work will come to you.

It's such a top career really, you should grab any opportunity with both hands even if there seems to be a down side.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Wed May 28, 2008 3:02 pm

I can't live regionally. I have a housing trust house. I can't move there. I could pretend for a while but eventually I'd lose it and it's the only form of stability I've had in my life for 10 years. If it wasn't for it, I'd be fucked. I hate regional areas and I'd probably end up out there the rest of my life. I have to do the networking thing. And I was told I can always get work paneling. So yeah I guess I'll start there.

I spend all my time indoors. I hate sports and I'm not fond of hot weather. It's just not a place I could envisage myself, even with someone pointing a shotgun to my head. And at the moment I need all the company and friends I have here just from not pointing the shotgun to my head and pulling the trigger myself.
- Jacques Derrida

ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared » Wed May 28, 2008 3:31 pm

That's fine baudrillard - it's hard to let go of personal securitied, but you do have to realise this.

Say - you got the panelling gig. The panelling gig turns into a production gig. You establish yourself there for about 3 years. Suddenly Dobbo turns up at your studio and says..

"mate.. you're so damn good, I want you in Canberra/Newcastle/Brisbane/Melbourne/Sydney/Perth in 3 weeks. You're a waste of talent in Adelaide. I'll book your one way flight now."

Or.. you get a phone call from THE BOSS of Regional Radioworks

"G'day champ! I've heard your stuff and I want you to work for me! I want you to be commercial producer, set up at Sea FM 90.9 on the Gold Coast. Pay is $45k to start but after 6 months you can name your price. I want you to start in a month."

Would you jump onto either?

If you don't - unfortunately it won't look good on yourself and you won't live your dream. The bosses won't be impressed and they'll just look for someone else, or ask the girl/guy at the comm switch who might end up being your boss in 2 years.

I dumped everything from Sydney and moved to Brisbane by myself. I even had to leave my beloved dog behind with my parents as I couldn't take her with me. That's heartbreaking for me as I've had her for over 10 years.

I drove a lonely 13 hour drive and was homeless for a week. I lived with my Aunt and Uncle who I don't get along with for about 2 weeks, then a guy at work said he was looking for a housemate. A year and 1/2 later, I've moved again (closer to work) and I've set myself up well. All my family and friends are back in Sydney, and I miss them heaps, but they know I'm following my dream career and there's always flights back.

Everyone in radio has been moved around. The ones who refuse to budge from their hometown tend to shrivel up and end up not following their dream.

You'll learn that you will have to let go on your insecurities and let yourself go - take it as it comes. I've seen about 15 people who got their dream job offer but didn't take them as it was in another state or town 5 - 6 hours away, all because their family and friends are back home. Those "15" people are still complaining about their situation, or have left radio altogether.

Feel free to live a little. Your loss can be someone else's gain.

Don't waste it.
Blog
VALE Ricky M

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Wed May 28, 2008 5:15 pm

Look I'd move the Melbourne or Sydney, but I couldn't do the Coast thing. I know people get moved around a lot. So of course, I know what you are saying, but I'd rather go back to trying to work in the film industry than end up in some small town where I could spend the rest of my life. So the former, but not the latter. Maybe if I get more desperate later down the track, but I'd like to think I've got the talents to be recognised as a waste in Adelaide rather than a waste in Adelaide that could have a golden opportunity in a regional market.
- Jacques Derrida

Boots
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by Boots » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:55 am

Flanas wrote:Anyone got audio of the Cameron Daddo parody 'Four and a half minutes of shit'?

Would really be appreciated if somebody had it. Cheers.
Hey ya

It can be found in this thread:

showthread.php?t=836

:)

Alan