Favourite Late Show Moments

Your favourite Late Show moments!

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Favourite Late Show Moments

Post by foolhardycousingeorge »

Another favourite moment was from Episode 11 of series 1, which aired the night that the Victorian Premier Jeff Kennett got elected.

I remember this, because our father, who had been watching the election coverage with my brother and I was in the lounge room as The Late Show began.

As we all remember, Tony introduced Joan Kirner, played by Mick.

Dad, (who died early in 1994) was not a Late Show fan, but he laughed when he saw this segment, and heard the following exchange...

Tony: Well, look. How can I put this, you didn't do too well today.

Mick(as Joan Kirner): Quite frankly, Tone, we got our a**e kicked.
Last edited by foolhardycousingeorge on Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
".....that's what's ahead here on Martin Molloy; the only radio show with an inner core of sphagnum."
kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim »

I also like how Mick said it in a really male voice (as in not David Walliams Laydee style).
I'm a thinker.... I thinka!
Captain_Birdseye
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Captain_Birdseye »

I'm a newbie but I would love to be able to view that Rob Sitch parody of Bruce McAvaney from the 1992 Barcelona Olympics - the one where he says people's names because he likes how they sound.

It was spun gold!

thanks!
wogsncash
Sandhurst Mechanic

Piss weak world

Post by wogsncash »

It can't get funnier than piss weak world and the piss weak kids.
waker
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by waker »

I've been pissfarting about with some rudimentary animated gif programs tonight, and i managed to capture one of my favourite throwaway moments from the start of s2 e8, right here:

Animated gif, 1.51MB

On another note, I think I found one of my LEAST favourite moments in what is a REALLY patchy episode - s2 e7. There's some great moments in that one, many of which were used in the best bits compilations, but the endless technical gaffes and the ill-advised streaker fellow along with the really pretty disturbing tension between Mick and Jude in this one long sketch make it a hard episode for me to sit through. Oh, not really that hard I mean it's still the fucking Late Show, but you get the gist surely. Anyway, have a look at the expression on Mick's face here when Jude thinks he's "making love to the camera:"

Animated gif, 1.67MB

Very pissed off, right? That bit give me the creeps big-time, in fact the whole sketch right through to the phone call bit is hard to watch. I think there would have been some talks backstage that night....
Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot »

I remember watching one particular episode of The Late Show in series 2 on the night of transmission and finding nothing about it funny. It just seemed to crash and die. And the next week when they would normally be plugging the late Sunday night repeats of the previous weeks show, there was no plug.

I also remember that a few episodes into series 2 there was some serious sexual tension between Mick and Jude. People used to comment on it at school and it was mentioned in at least one article I read at the time. Perhaps that's what Mick and Jude refer to on the Crackerjack commentary track. Alcohol was invovled apparently.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.
menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers »

Oh yeah, they definitely would have had a crack. Ill conceived as such a concept would have undoubtedly been. Then had to live with the consequences for another three months. I remember at the time thinking "maybe?" then "oh yeah, absolutely" then "nah, no way" and that's how my opinion stayed for thirteen years. Now though, seeing as how I've hit 30 and know that it is a bizarre quasi-adult stage, I definitely think that post show alcohol would have fuelled a fairly lacklustre sexual event. Ha ha ha I say it like I know! :?

More interesting to me is the fizzing crackling tension that is in evidence in (can't cite the epi no.) Season 2 where Jane and Jude do the holiday sketch. <the one from my avatar> After the credits when they come back to do the utterly pointless announcement of "ring 524 2444, after Monday 10am", Rob says something to Jane, she kind of fobs him off, Santo pats him on the shoulder and Rob shrugs him away! Wow, its an indescribable moment. The perils of live telly, eh? Or copious pina coladas. I'd always wondered if Rob was getting a bit over the Tom, Santo, Jason subterfuge they would always use. He's only human!

Also love the ABC in the Park bit where Jane and Rob get in a fight because she's riding around on a golf cart with Paul from Sylvannia Waters.

Mick: "what a lovely day out"

Highly titallating in a seventeen year old girl.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?
13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards »

As far as the odd vibe between Mick and Judith goes, I always remember that sketch towards the end of s2 where Jude's supposedly having these weird dreams about Mick - not only because I didn't get a laugh out of it, but that it seemed oddly personal and revealing. I didn't think she was actually having the dreams she was discribing, but why think up a sketch about dreaming about Mick unless, well, you were dreaming about Mick.

To be both kinda sad and 100%, I never even thought about any sexual goings-on between any of TLS cast until I heard about Rob and Jane - I knew Tommy G and Santo had non-comedy wives, and I just figured everyone else had the same kind of relationships. Even in my early 20s I knew that it was not easy staying friends with someone once you'd done the deed, and as the easy-going atmosphere between the cast was such a big part of the appeal of the show I just assumed they wouldn't want to risk that. What a fool I was!
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"
menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers »

Speaking of Judith dreams (and this probably revealth too much), my friend happened to be having drinks with a group including Jude recently. She knows I love the gos and told me that Judith was sharing a dream she had had of Anthony Lapaglia raping her. Shocked, as undoubtedly you would be, they pressed her for more info and on getting the guts they had to politely say "ah Judith, I thiiinnk that might be consensual".
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?
Dufflecoat Supreme
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Dufflecoat Supreme »

menagers wrote:Speaking of Judith dreams (and this probably revealth too much), my friend happened to be having drinks with a group including Jude recently. She knows I love the gos and told me that Judith was sharing a dream she had had of Anthony Lapaglia raping her. Shocked, as undoubtedly you would be, they pressed her for more info and on getting the guts they had to politely say "ah Judith, I thiiinnk that might be consensual".

haha, and she'd be stoked to find the content of her dreams splashed across an internet forum.
An almost fanatical love of the safari suit.