Pot Luck Classics

Your favourite Late Show moments!

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

frenchchicks in the nuddy
Muckraker

Pot Luck Classics

Post by frenchchicks in the nuddy » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:15 pm

One of my favourite moments, was from a Pot luck classic, when Bernard King (RIP) In response to an abysmal performance of Pressure Down by a guy, I think his name was David Thai I cant quite remember................ anyway Bernard, (the original Dicko) Says You would sound terrific in a chorus...........................................
Of a about 40,000
PRICELESS

Geo
Muckraker

Post by Geo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:01 pm

LOL yeah the Pot Luck toilet breaks were funny, sometimes downright embarrassing!!!

I watched the 4th episode (thanx to Ben ;) the other night and some chick sang something REALLY BADLY and Bernard said "Thank God you look so good, beautiful people don't always have to sing you know"

Sometimes I wondered whether they actually said what we saw in the toilet break, especially after they got Bernard and Ernie in for one episode to do a special judging, they still looked the same as when Pot Luck was on!!!

I remember going to the movies once and seeing the old Triple M ad with the guy singing "I wish they'd take me away" and Bernard says "Yes, I wish they'd take you away as well". Whenever I saw it I just remembered TLS :D

"And I wish the traffic lights would all turn green"
Geordie Pugh

HOW MUCH DOES BEN ROCK!!!

Supermercado
Commercial Crimestopper

Post by Supermercado » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:15 pm

But he loved Piffy. How suspicious was that?

Do you ever wonder what the good contestants were like on that show?

Geo
Muckraker

Post by Geo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:27 pm

lol, if there were any that is :)
Geordie Pugh

HOW MUCH DOES BEN ROCK!!!

Pete the Clown
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by Pete the Clown » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:16 pm

Hey, as mentioned on the dvd commentary Kym Wilson (remember her anyone) did appear on Potluck singing 'Hero' and they did play it on one of the toilet breaks and the TLS audience was shat off that they didn't play Bernard verdict but it because he was too nice toward her and as Tony said the dvd "Ah, we can't show that".

Dt Glen Twenty
Commercial Crimestopper

Post by Dt Glen Twenty » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:29 pm

"take the pwessha dan
'cause i can feewe'
is rising like stowm
take all the wheel
and turn them around (circular motion with hand)
take the pwessha dan..."
that the guy dressed and danced like michael jackson made it even funnier

other favourites:

the dancer who, as ernie said, "did his hammy"
a very badly out of tune kim
piffy (and his comeback on graham and the colonel)

and the marvellous bernard king ... RIP
and then - bang! straight into a 50 foot pollywaffle...

rdmcphee
Sandhurst Mechanic

Late Show Memories

Post by rdmcphee » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:14 pm

What about the Season 1 toilet breaks, from the long forgotten Saturday night ABC variety show, The Saturday Show? If I remember rightly, on the very first Late Show episode, the segment featured The Natural Seven performing bizzare production number shot on location at a swimming pool

BenG
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by BenG » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:10 pm

Very close, it was the first toilet break, but the first was in a later episode, I think ep 4 or something.

rdmcphee
Sandhurst Mechanic

Pot Luck Classics

Post by rdmcphee » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:05 pm

Who remembers Pot Luck contestant Chris Lopez, who sung I Ain't Missing You? As it turns out, he went to the same high school as me, but I was a couple of years ahead of him. A friend of mine had a younger brother in the same year level as him. Apparently everyone at school saw him the night The Late Show replayed his performance, and he copped a lot of rubbish for it. Maybe his experience of appearing on the show, and Bernard's negative comments, prompted him to give up on a career in showbusiness, because he later won a school science award for designing a solar panel.

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Re: Pot Luck Classics

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:55 pm

Yes!

I remember David Tai. I didn't remember his English being so bad, but I still laugh about his Michael Jackson style choreography?

What about Todd Rixon, a high energy dancer? His act was going quite well, until he raised his leg, and tore his hamstring. He had to be helped off the stage.

The other I remember quite well was a couple of young girls known as The Spangles. They performed the Shocking Blue/ Bananarama hit, Venus, as in "I'm your venus, I'm your fire, your desire."

Of course, Bernard King said this was a terrible song for children to be singing.

Does anyone know where the late Bernard King (flamboyant television chef) got his credentials to be a judge on a talent show?
".....that's what's ahead here on Martin Molloy; the only radio show with an inner core of sphagnum."