National Film and Sound Archive

Your favourite Late Show moments!

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:00 pm

Harry Shearer (Le Show, The Simpsons, Spinal Tapp) occasionally turns up what he calls "found objects", which are things from live TV feeds or sometimes they must come from someone in the actual studio. Footage of Katie Couric debating about whether she should wear a scarf or not in a news piece which went for a long time (they showed how many minutes it was up to and cut between parts of it) used to be up on mydamnchannel.com, but the classic was hearing Dan Rather debate with his director or wardrobe person whether to have his jacket closed or open for a good 15 minutes or so is hillarious. I was wondering why I was sure I'd seen the vision from it, and I just remembered that Harry Shearer played the video of Rather and the clothing dilemma when he was on The Panel once.

Ah! Found one of someone else, not as good but hey, will post the Couric one if it's there too.

This is a right wing radio pundit in the US, and her short-lived show on FOX NEWS.
http://www.mydamnchannel.com/Harry_Shea ... 4_823.aspx
It's really exasperating!
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:18 am

Oh! I just found it. The Dan Rather footage. This is classic, off air material.

Dan Rather, who just sued CBS to defend journalism, is seen back in his anchoring days, spending twenty minutes deciding the journalistic issue of whether or not to wear the trenchcoat and, if so, collar up or collar down.

http://www.mydamnchannel.com/Harry_Shea ... r_438.aspx

And here's the Curic one, where she keeps talking about the Dan Rather tape on youtube.

http://www.mydamnchannel.com/Harry_Shea ... c_439.aspx
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

deanoss
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by deanoss » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:32 am

"Nobody where's a trench coat with the collar down!"

Wow. That is some fantastic footage baudy. I remember hearing Harry mention this site either on Le Show or Get This but never sought it out. More fool me it appears. That's for the reminder.
The above message is a Misguided production in association with Half Baked Ideas and Ill Conceived Concepts propriety limited.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:57 am

Harry's side projects need to be brought to people's attention really. Poor guy. I remember one episode of Le Show, and he was talking about how he thought he'd be doing what he does on radio for money, but he doesn't - it's for NPR so it's literally him volunteering to do it for free. And most people just go oh that guy who was in Spinal Tapp all that long ago and does voices on The Simpsons, and leave it there. He's written a few books. I really have get "It's The Stupidity, Stupid" sometime!
- Jacques Derrida

deanoss
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by deanoss » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:33 am

I guess he does have little bit of the luxury of $imp$on$ contracts to be able to do a few things on a practically voluntary basis. And like a lot of people whose work is streets ahead of the pack for quality, they just want to get their great work out there for the people to hear (whilst still being able to earn the coin elsewhere). Listening to Le Show, I always get the feeling that Harry would sit there and do the show, even if none of the equipment was plugged in. He has that wonderful relaxed style. The occasions where the wrong music is cued up and he just drifts slightly off mic, just talking almost to himself as he gets the problem sorted. They're great fun to listen to.
The above message is a Misguided production in association with Half Baked Ideas and Ill Conceived Concepts propriety limited.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:38 am

showthread.php?p=19127#post19127

I started a thread just so everyone knows.

It's actually something I know I can depend on, once a week. No matter where he is in the world Harry will do a show. If he's in New Orleans instead of LA, if he's in Australia, if he's in London, he'll still do a show every week. You can set your watch by it. I might dig up the episode where Santo's on the show. It was the week of 9/11 and Santo sits in on the whole show and him and Harry just talk for the whole hour instead of doing his usual show. It was pretty amazing as he's never really done that with anyone before unless it's a musical act he's highlighting in which case he sometimes does spend the whole hour with a person, but even then he'll still do some stuff from the week and the guest is always a musician and plays a bunch of their songs.

And yeah, it is funny when there's a technical malfunction in the studio, which occasionally happens, he's just so nice about it because he's the only one in the studio and kinda has to just sort it out by himself. He doesn't even use a producer. I guess he might even put the sketches together himself, he's never mentioned anyone else working with him at all. He does all the voices, fixes all the technical problems, and of course gets NO INTERFERENCE FROM MANAGMENT so he can do whatever he likes.

He's been doing it for more than 20 years.
- Jacques Derrida

deanoss
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by deanoss » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:40 am

Thought I'd throw this quote from Harry is while I'm about it.

"I always have gone where the most creativity and freedom have been available," said Shearer, calling from Los Angeles. "It's available at two places: at the top of show business if you make absolutely mindless mediocrities that sell a zillion dollars, or at the dawn of new media, (where) you can do interesting things and then, all of a sudden, the guys come in and say, 'Wait a minute, these are the rules' and then it's time to leave." Taken from here.

Would it be a wonderful world of entertainment, if it all worked on that theory.

deanoss
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by deanoss » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:58 am

baudrillard wrote: I might dig up the episode where Santo's on the show. It was the week of 9/11 and Santo sits in on the whole show and him and Harry just talk for the whole hour .
That would be fantastic. I'd love hear how the show sounds given the events. I'm only a recent adopter of Le Show. Just not aware of it until recently. Ohhh so sheltered. Should probably kick this over to the new thread I guess..........

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:37 pm

I'd love to hear the Santo show, too.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:05 pm

Oh. I'd mentioned it before and no one had said anything at the time.
- Jacques Derrida