National Film and Sound Archive

Your favourite Late Show moments!

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:19 am

Tomorrowist wrote:Annoyingly most of the actual film and sound archives themselves are stalled in the Australian National Archive warehouses in a suburb called "Mitchel" Think of a poor mans Fishwick...

That's in Sydney, is it?
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.

waker
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by waker » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:30 am

Actually they're spelt Mitchell and Fyshwick and they are both industrial suburbs ie the only places in Canberra where you can buy 'art pamphlets', 'jazz mags' and 'nature films' (and fireworks too, once upon a time).

Ality Atwo
Commercial Crimestopper

Post by Ality Atwo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:03 am

Tomorrowist, are you from Canberra? And now you're living in Japan? You're like me on a 5 year time delay.

What do you do in Saitama? I was a NOVA teacher in Hiroshima.

Tomorrowist
Commercial Crimestopper

Post by Tomorrowist » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:17 am

Yeah, I'm from Canberra, but also lived in Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney and even Adelaide.

I'm usually on a delyy of some sort, 5 years isn't too bad for me, was going to steal your identity too! In fact I would have no idea how that would be done unless:

1. $10,000 plastic surgury job to make me look like Bruce Willis.

2. An ID card with "The Thing" on it.

I think other than facebook, this is the only presence I have on the internet. I'd like to see someone steal my identity actually, they will get everything they deserve, muhahahahahaha!

Michell is were a lot of the Radio stations are, lots of poorly guarded warehouses. It would be fun to go on a raid for old Martin/Molloy tapes...

Yeah, I've been in japan 5 or so years, I used to teach at Nova, hated it, and now work as a primary school teacher, mush more fun.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:45 am

Tomorrowist, moshi moshi?

My sister has lived overseas since the start of the decade or so. Japan for most of the time, then China, then India and now Vietnam.

NOVA are notoriously bad to work for. The only positive I could see is that you don't have to worry about accomodation because they take that RIGHT OUT OF YOUR PAY!

But it seems it's the default company people work for AT THE START. Then they move to a better company once they're settled and have their bearings.

I'm still reeling from the day I heard my sister speak fluent japanese to her housemate. I know NO second languages. :(
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:46 am

Tomorrowist wrote:...even Adelaide.
This city SUCKS! :(
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

Tomorrowist
Commercial Crimestopper

Post by Tomorrowist » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:02 am

Nihon-go wa chotto muzukashi... I can read and write, hiragana and Katakana you can learn in a week. The average Japanese person knows over 2000 different characters, I've only got 300 or so down pat so far.
Unfortunately, all my friends over here are women, so when I talk, apparently I sound very gay

Nova went under and was bailed (bought) out by another company. Just as bad, even the housing was a scam, they charged each person around 66, 000 in a 3 people house, when the people next door would pay maybe 60,000, so they were making a profit even off that. The head CEO had a secret HOUSE installed behind a bookself, a la 60's Batman, on the top floor of the office building. Complete with Spa and Wine rack, for... special paid gets. All the while he was refusing to step down as the company crumbled around him. I can kinda see why, as it was also his house... He did a runner at the last second though.

Alls I remember about Adelaide is the number plates used to say: "SA: The Festival State." I'm guessing that changed after someone actually visited...

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:12 am

Tomorrowist wrote:Nova went under and was bailed (bought) out by another company. Just as bad, even the housing was a scam, they charged each person around 66, 000 in a 3 people house, when the people next door would pay maybe 60,000, so they were making a profit even off that. The head CEO had a secret HOUSE installed behind a bookself, a la 60's Batman, on the top floor of the office building. Complete with Spa and Wine rack, for... special paid gets.
oy vey, someone hang these fu**ing CEOs. They really are the scum of humanity.

Yep, I knew the housing was a rip off. It just seemed to be more of a place to start and get settled rather than a company anyone would stay with for more than one contract tops.
- Jacques Derrida

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:49 pm

baudrillard wrote:This city SUCKS! :(

Andre Rieu's coming in a few days. Oh, hang on...
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.

Big Props
Champagne Comedian

Post by Big Props » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:07 pm

Ni Biru Kudasai ?

and...

Toyre Wa Doku Desu ka?

The two most important phrases i learnt (and remembered) before going to Japan. :wink:
Aristotelie Xtrios Findolopolu