Your favourite Late Show moments!

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Old D-Gen articles

Post by menagers » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:42 am

Evolution of a (D) Generation - The Age, Green Guide, Thursday 12 December 1991
and page 2

Apologies if this is already in the archive, I can't remember, but I love it for the photos! Tommy G in the piffy suit, Jane on a gasper.. It just brings back so many memories, I can smell chalk dust, exam papers and that body shop white musk oil we all used to wear, just by reading it..

Decoding the D-Generation, Juice, September '93
page 2
page 3
page 4
page 5

This article is not nice. Full of lots of wrongo, mean, non-facts. What possesed her to go down the insult road I'll never know, but then I think this journo was keen to make herself a star, first and foremost. But still, it's part of the history, and does tend to explain why we have never seen them of the cover of New Idea with the bubbas.

Regeneration of the D-Generation, The Age, The View, 11 September 1994
page 2
page 3
page 4

So, I think that might just cover the ouvre of headlines containing D-Generation puns. Although there probably is more. I'll do some other ones later.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

William Grimbling
Muckraker

Post by William Grimbling » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:49 am

Thank you so much! These are brilliant. :)

(I feel old now.)
I'm just a model and I struggle with. Dialogue.

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:29 pm

Thanks! My weekend will be spent travelling down memory lane...
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:55 pm

Now I realise why people transfer everything to digital. It's really quite great isn't it? Picture Manager is so much better than microfiche.

My favourite article ever, in exsistence, that ever was. This I printed on a hoilday t-shirt to the Gold Coast. Threw it out due to too many blue curacao (what they hell was that drink anyway?) stains.

Well-Suited, Good Weekend, The Age, August 28 1993

Rare as hen's teeth article. I don't even know how I got hold of it. Check out the spunky hairstyles! And the spelling of Colonel!

Mornington High School, Yearbook, 1989

One of the first good reviews?

Live TV: charged by the generation of laughs, Debi Enker, The Age, 1993

Our Favourite Martin! I'm still a tad mystified by that headline. I believe this was the article revealing Tony's obsessive cataloguing habits. You've got to hand it to Tone really, the same consistent responses for all these years. A very genuine individual I believe. Embarassingly, I think I got this from microfiche. This may have been the year of uni when surprise, surprise I failed a few subjects. Why the hell didn't Peter Wilmoth ever write the comedy book?

Our Favourite Martin, Peter Wilmoth, The Age, 24 October 1992

This one's for Tino! Very funny Santo prose.

TV or Not TV: Wrestling with fact and fantasy, Santo Cilauro, circa 93/94

TV or Not TV: Misspent youth before the Box, Tom Gleisner, circa 93/94

ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:00 pm

Great work menagers!
Blog
Now with EXTRA teabagging.
VALE Ricky M

kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:04 pm

Thanks menagers!

My fave article was the "avuncular" Who Weekly article -- have you got that? Mind if I do a link to these articles on the main part of this site?

I had a copy of the Juice article, too, but I think I cut the photos out to stick on my school folder (or rather, photocopied it first and cut those pics out). They were great, eh?? I took out a subscription to Juice for a year so I could get a free Triple J Hottest 100 volume 1 (ah, what are they up to now, 10,000?)
I'm a thinker.... I thinka!

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:37 pm

The definitive D-Gen article! I always loved the pic of Tony stooping to look in the fridge and griping about how no-one buys the milk. So amazing to think they all hung out in a flat together. What's all that about? You know the bit where Tony holds an Olympics party and he opens like about 3 fridges? My friend and I still can't get over, who would have three fridges?

D-Generates, Who Magazine, 14 December 1992
page 2

I also love the picture of Mick reading 'My Funny Friends'. Remember they mentioned that in the commentary? I happened upon an audio tape of that book in my local Library the other day, and guess whose name was listed among the usual Kennedy satellites? That's right, Fred Parslow. The plot thickens. Maybe it was that, or the fact that my baby started deshelving the VHS collection, but in a fit of defiance I said "Why should I partake of that? It means nothing to my generation". Which is true, but perhaps a tad pigheaded.

Also like the way Jane and Rob are the only ones looking to camera. Awww, if only I understood Photoshop.

By the way, is there a way to do broadsheet articles? I'm a bit confounded there.

Kim, that's a super idea. Wiz-zard! Yes, I got that CD too. Would that be the only compilation ever with that bloody 'Jesse' song about the dog that every boy seems to love? They also sent me a slightly damaged copy of 'Ill Communication' some six months later. Without a doubt the greatest CD I ever never paid for. Such a great mag, sadly missed.

William Grimbling
Muckraker

Post by William Grimbling » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:32 pm

Thank you again! (Sorry, bit of a scratched record, aren't I?)

With oversize bits of paper, I scan them in sections and join them together in Photoshop or Gimp later. I think that's about all you can do, short of getting a bigger scanner. (And how big do those things come, anyway?)

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:18 pm

William Grimbling wrote: With oversize bits of paper, I scan them in sections and join them together in Photoshop or Gimp later. I think that's about all you can do, short of getting a bigger scanner. (And how big do those things come, anyway?)
Ok, HELLO! A program called Gimp? I'm more au fait with the Wench program myself. But there's my issue, this 'joining' that you say, how is that done then? I have a program called Adobe Photoshop Elements and Picture Manager. Speaking of this, handling old pieces of Green Guide, I was amused to see a 486 avaliable for the reasonable (not) price of $2,389. Cor Lum, how times have changed. I think we're talking A3, you know The Age and it's non-PT friendly broadsheet. Oh, but they love that about themselves don't they? (cue: "I've got the paper!" joke).

William Grimbling
Muckraker

Post by William Grimbling » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:28 pm

Sorry! Yeah, Gimp's a free Photoshoppey sort of thing. I find it harder to use, but that's possibly my own fault for being too damn lazy to download the 'help' files.

I just tried to write a short guide to joining stuff together and it didn't make any sense. I'm crap at explaining things. But I'll PM you my work addy, and if you'd like anything done just fling it through. I need something of a procrastinatory nature for next week, to get me out of a big slab of coding that'll probably never be used anyway... :)