Glenrowan

Your favourite Late Show moments!

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:26 pm

All this talk has made me want to plan a family trip (no menagers, don't do it! Don't forget how feral the little bastards can get! Just keep waiting, someday, somewhere, someone will build the parental cone of silence)... ah don't mind me, just some self talk. Been watching too much Life on Mars (totally dissed on the lack of snog too! Grrr.)

But yeah, as much as we love to hang shit on this place, wouldn't you just be devo to learn that the recession has hit, and there will be no more Lynch Lime, animatronics safety warnings, and impossible to decipher connect-the-dots? Jeepers, I know I would. Righto, definitely off to sink some funds into rural tourism next holidays.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

Dt Glen Twenty
Commercial Crimestopper

kelly country

Post by Dt Glen Twenty » Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 pm

that's weird, there must have been another glenrowan thread here...

my mates and i passed through the town during a skiing road-trip in 1996. took the photos, mocked the attraction, recited our favourite lines ad nauseum ("damn, i'm still in glenrowan!"). hell, i reckon we conversed almost entirely in late show one-liners for a good five years ... are there any programs on TV today that are that influential in terms of catchphrases?

maybe i'm getting old, but i can't think of any.
and then - bang! straight into a 50 foot pollywaffle...

Lenny_the_Lamb
Muckraker

Post by Lenny_the_Lamb » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:11 pm

I love it when they are staring blankly at the gun battle after reading the sign "This show can and does scare people of all ages"

8-)

Three Thumbs Up
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Three Thumbs Up » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:22 pm

Bill Bryson writes about visiting the animatronic display in his book about Australia and has the same response as Mick and Tone, just stunned and delighted at how pissweak it is! It's a very funny read, particularly for those who remember the Late Show visit.

burger
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by burger » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:30 pm

I thought of The Late Show too when I read that section. The whole book made me giggle.... His description of Canberra is classic.
"it's my party and I'll cry if I want to"

Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:06 am

Yeah Bill Bryson is excellent. We could start a whole new thread on that bloke...
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)

Big Props
Champagne Comedian

Post by Big Props » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:46 pm

Can someone with the collection at hand and the abilty, upload the whole sketch - I need to explain Kelly Kola and Red Ned to someone.

There is the credit montage on one of the Tube sites (thanks ABC) but no gift shop action.

Cheers..
Aristotelie Xtrios Findolopolu

Eddie Blake
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Eddie Blake » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:31 pm

My favourite line from the sketch is in the animatronic display:
"You can't hurt me! I'm made of steel!"

Only for Tony to say on the commentary "I'm made of steel!"
"Well David, what do you think of the Andromeda Galaxy?"
"I gave it four billion stars."
"Me too."

rdmcphee
Sandhurst Mechanic

Glenrowan

Post by rdmcphee » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:10 pm

Foolhardycousingeorge and I just got back from a weekend in Wangaratta via Glenrowan.

The wishing well is gone. Unless we were looking in the wrong place, we couldn't find it. The Ned Kelly animatronic show is still operating with the same owner that Mick and Tony met. After a fire in 2002 which destroyed the whole complex it was completely rebuilt.

We talked to him and he seemed like a nice man, but he still walks around ringing his bell. Still, he's very passionate about Ned Kelly and you can't knock him for that.

The gift shop is still selling the same activity book containing the Ned Kelly dot to dot, which has been in print since 1979.

A little girl who was there with her mum got scared so she had to take her outside for a few minutes to recover. It turns out the disclaimer sign out the front warning that this attraction frightens people of all ages is necessary after all.
Actor Melvyn Hayes and stars of the Carry On films.

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Re: Glenrowan

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:04 pm

A couple I know, took their children on a road trip through Victoria, and towns in Southern New South Wales.

They mentioned stopping in Glenrowan. They were just as underwhelmed by their experience in Glenrowan, as Mick and Tony were.