Any Questions For Ben?

Discuss what Working Dog are up to now, and the rest of The Late Show cast - Mick, Jason and Judith

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Any Questions For Ben?

Post by 13 schoolyards » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:09 pm

... is the new title of the Working Dog movie formerly known as "25".

It's now due for release Jan 26th, 2012.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

Big Props
Champagne Comedian

Post by Big Props » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:53 am

Where can i get the Late Show DVD's ?

;)

That's not too far away at all.
Aristotelie Xtrios Findolopolu

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks Schoolyards. I was starting to wonder how things were going with that.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:43 pm

You're not alone. Inquiries about interview possibilities have already been made.

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:35 pm

The release date has now been put back until Feb 9th

chopperjack
Muckraker

Post by chopperjack » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Saw this last night in a preview/test screening.

It's a very heartwarming pic. It's funny but I wouldn't classify it as a comedy, a dramedy I guess (I hate that term).

Josh Lawson was really good and Rachel Taylor is stunning to see on the big screen. Lachy Hume's character probably got the most laughs outside of the hair Ed Kavalee was sporting throughout the movie.

Much of the cast was in the cinema to watch the film except the main leads and Rob and Santo did a brief intro before the film too.

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:35 am

chopperjack wrote:It's funny but I wouldn't classify it as a comedy, a dramedy I guess (I hate that term).

Whereas I just hate dramedies. OK, hate is probably a little strong, but I always find them disappointing compared to a good straight out comedy. Even crap straight out comedies are better, in my view, because they're not trying to cover up their inadequecies by pretending they're also kind of a drama...which some dramedies seem to.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:07 am

chopperjack wrote:It's a very heartwarming pic. It's funny but I wouldn't classify it as a comedy, a dramedy I guess (I hate that term).
Hmm. I'm not surprised, as trying to sell an Australian comedy to movie-goers is pretty tough work and Working Dog are canny business people. But as Bean points out "dramedy" often means "kind of bland".

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:54 pm

I've been watching what I consider a good canadian dramedy, I just thought I'd recommend it. Michael: Tuesdays & Thursdays - it's got a great degree of involvement of Don MacKellar of Twitch City fame/obscurity. And I don't know if you guys would have seen it, but what do you think of Twitch City if you've seen it.

I can't classify both strictly as comedies, but Twitch City even has sound effects used - due to the high degree of references to television at a (yes) meta- level - in the Jennifer Jason Leigh episode.

They seem to have recently put the entire series of Twitch City on youtube, looks like the company itself maybe who has the rights put up the first episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-I4L85LQs
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:57 pm

I've been watching what I consider a good canadian dramedy, I just thought I'd recommend it. Michael: Tuesdays & Thursdays - it's got a great degree of involvement of Don MacKellar of Twitch City fame/obscurity. And I don't know if you guys would have seen it, but what do you think of Twitch City if you've seen it.

I can't classify both strictly as comedies, although Twitch City even has sound effects used - due to the high degree of references to television at a (yes) meta- level - in the Jennifer Jason Leigh episode.

They seem to have recently put the entire series of Twitch City on youtube, looks like the company itself maybe who has the rights put up the first episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-I4L85LQs

I guess my criticism of dramedies is that they set themselves up in such a way that they can rely on the drama too much and that seems to be what is supposed to fill the lack of actual comedy in the show/film, and that just so often translates to being due to lazy writing to me. Unless the dramedy aspect has an obvious emphasis on the actual drama side of things, rather than having more pretence at being heavy on the comedy.

I don't think either of these shows that I've mentioned do that, but I think I can see it's a problem more widely.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida