Any Questions For Ben?

Discuss what Working Dog are up to now, and the rest of The Late Show cast - Mick, Jason and Judith

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:06 am

ShitScared wrote:Thanks to Menagers -

http://www.cinemanova.com.au/events.html

Meet Rob at a meet & greet Jan 27.
Now with added Tommy G!
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:08 pm

I can't decide whether it's good or bad that it comes out at the same time as Stephan Elliot's A Few Best Men. (A film that looks like it's only saving grace is a coked up Olivia NJ. I mean why would you put Rebel Wilson in your film? Why why why? And apart from all that, that Kris Marshall is just balls at acting. /rant)

I know they're not the same, but they both feature "lads" and weddings, and lads ideas about weddings. I'm going this Friday, but I'm nervous for the film to be honest.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:01 pm

It does seem like slightly poor timing, especially as A Few Best Men seems to have a lot more about it that's obviously "funny" - the trailer for Any Questions For Ben looks great, but doesn't exactly give off the impression that it'll be a laugh riot. But who knows? It might turn out that there's a massive market for movies that look like the out & about scenes in Offspring and WD'll rake it in.

(the coked up ONJ in Best Men doesn't really do anything super-insane, by the way - most of the craziness is limited to a sheep shitting out bags of drugs)

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:38 pm

The media whirlwind begins:
Adam Hills in Gordon St Tonight
Returns Wednesday February 8 at 8.30pm, ABC1
Repeated Saturday at 7.30pm on ABC2. Also available on iview.

Adam Hills returns to Gordon St with an all-star line-up, including actress ESSIE DAVIS, actors and comedians ROB SITCH and JOSH LAWSON,and creator of Yes Minister JONATHAN LYNN. Music will be provided by EAGLE AND THE WORM.

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:40 am

Oh dear, I can't completely decide how I feel about the film. I feel I could talk on what I loved about it just as much as I could talk on what I didn't love about it. I encourage you all to see it so that the forum might buzz to life with opinions. I'm going to put down here what I absolutely love about it (without spoilers), because I don't think the regular movie public walks out of their multiplex discussing the sound mix, so I shall refrain from that talk (at least until it is released and some of you have seen it :???:).

It definitely made me laugh, and I teared up at one bloody point, I assume because I am a sook. Josh Lawson and Rachael Taylor were wonderful, incredibly genuine. Lachy Hulme, Ed Kavalee and the 'he can don professorial robes anytime' amazing Rob Sitch were brilliant in their (too small in the latter's case) funny roles. There were some classic lines, delivered the best, to my whole hearted surprise, by performers I'm usually so awful to, yes, Rob Carlton and Felicity Ward. My biggest laughs though, came from the quintessentially Australian product placements - and that is a sentence I never would have dreamt I would say. The scene over the credits was so fabulous, it was like one of those on-location films from Thank God You're Here. It was utter gold.

All in all, I think this is the best romantic comedy Australia has ever produced. And while it's no Ephron or Curtis surefire win in that department, there's just too much to love about it, and I can't deny that I was won over.

SUPER FAN CRAZY TALK ***LOOK AWAY NOW***: I couldn't help but look for similarities between Josh and Rachael's characters and Rob and Jane (at least what I think I know about them). Especially since Josh and Rachael also fell in love in real life too, and after watching their chemistry burn up the screen, I hope they get married and have 50 babies as well.
There is this gorgeous scene, where Rachael's character asks Josh's if he "noticed her at Uni", and if you're a nutbag like me and have at least thought once about Jane's anecdote of how she turned up to audition for the D-Gen Uni revue when she was at Melb U and what conversation she could possibly have had with her husband about that, well then, Josh's answer in the film will completely melt your heart.
And if you needed further evidence of my straight-jacket requirements, then here it is; the characters names even look the same as Rob and Jane's.
Ben North - Rob Sitch, Alex Hennessy - Jane Kennedy
Ok, that's it, you can bring on the guys in the white coats now...
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

gibbon
Muckraker

Post by gibbon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:49 am

yeah I saw it last night as well, it was ok everyone was laughing - but definitely do not go in expecting The Castle or The Dish. I think this one will not get much attention.

All the supporting cast were great, Lachy Hulme was really funny in particular, and Ed as well. People just laughed at Alan Brough before he did anything, just his face makes people laugh - thought that was interesting.

Melbourne looked great, it was awesome seeing all the places I know so well filmed so nicely.

Was cool to see Rob and Tom in person as well!

edit:
actually I should say the main theme resonated for me as I'm about the same age as the main character, live in the city and have a similar job... I do not get anywhere near as much action though unfortunately.
It's kind of funny that The Castle was about suburban Australians, The Dish was about rural Australians and this is about inner city Yuppies

spoilers:
I have an issue with the story, so here's a spoiler or my comments anyway:

I don't feel like the main character changed very much at all, he was still the same shallow dude at the end except he had a new girlfriend... he didn't really do anything to change himself or the crisis he was having - the big breakthrough was that he kept his shitty high paying job, stayed in his luxury apartment on swanston st, made his wedding speech and then went to visit this super hot woman he was in love with instead of going somewhere else on holiday - I get that now he was comitting to life - but how does this address the emptiness of his life or the fact he wasnt interesting to the kids at his old school, or that his dad didnt understand his job?
seemed kind of half baked to me, love solves everything!@# maybe I'm just jaded :)

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:36 pm

Did anything interesting come out of having Rob there to introduce the film?

gibbon
Muckraker

Post by gibbon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:23 pm

13 schoolyards wrote:Did anything interesting come out of having Rob there to introduce the film?
nope
they just made a few jokes and explained what we were about to see happen in the movie and thanked the cast

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:58 pm

menagers wrote:
All in all, I think this is the best romantic comedy Australia has ever produced.
What, better than I LOVE YOU TOO? The WOG BOY films? That one where Guy Pearce and Claudia Karvan swapped bodies? What about ALVIN PURPLE? LOVE & OTHER CATASTROPHES? GARAGE DAYS?
menagers wrote:
All in all, I think this is the only romantic comedy Australia has ever produced.
Fixed that for you.

Pete the Clown
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by Pete the Clown » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:04 pm

I went last night, the intro by Rob and Tom was brief, talked a little about the casting (liked the story Rob told about getting Daniel Henshall) and the location of Melbourne and sadly no q and a session. The film acting wise is very good, Josh Lawson specially and you can why WD did writ a film for this with a lead role in mind. The support cast is good, Lachy Hulme the best, Ed is good (especially with a marketing line near the start of the film which was very Get This) and Rob in this cameo. And yes the end credits was a highlight of the film as menagers has mentions.
The screenplay isn't award winning cause the characters speak at a high tempo rate (i guessing showing the buzz of being late 20's company) and not speaking for more than 1-2 sentences and the constant usage of music between scenes ( about 35 songs I counted in the credits at the end) which just interupted the storyline/flow of the film for my liking.

Still the production is top value and full credit to the WD team.
"I'm drinking out of someone elses coffee mug."