Champagne Comedy running costs

Got any suggestions for this website? Contributions you'd like to make? Please post any website-related messages here.

Moderator: ShitScared

kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim »

Thanks purehumbug and everyone else who's contributed! And who was the generous person who sent over the FIFTY BUCKS...? I now have raised enough to pay for this year's hosting costs - in total AUD$230!

hamsalad - this just covers the hosting but the domain name only costs a few dollars a year. It was a huge effort changing hosts a year ago (I needed some technical help!) and I've just paid up for next year, but I may revisit the situation in 2012 :)

Oh and any extra funds received for this year will carry on to next year.
I'm a thinker.... I thinka!
cptn.xav
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by cptn.xav »

Hey Kim,
just an idea.

On another forum i am a member of, they charge a nominal yearly fee to keep your status as an official member.
With that, they keep all the good downloads, forum topics etc locked to paying members only, (along with other various goodies)

The way I see it, it would be a good to keep some the 'copyright sensitive' material somewhat hidden & protected, while maintain the running costs.

BTW: i dont think banner advertising would bee too instrusive and turn anybody off.
"A Man And His Moofies"
"Ze Goggles...Zey do Nusink!!"
stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball »

I like this idea. No way is anybody who is going after legally questionable material going to pay to get to an area they don't know exists.
The View Askew forum has a USD$2 join-up fee, to keep a-holes out, some join though, but are swiftly booted.
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball
Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot »

Wouldn't it be legally dubious to sort-of charge for premium content? People might argue that's what is going on if such a system were brought in.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.
stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball »

If IMDB and IGN can do it, why can't CC? If it's just a few bucks a year who'd notice?
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball
cptn.xav
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by cptn.xav »

Bean Is A Carrot wrote:Wouldn't it be legally dubious to sort-of charge for premium content? People might argue that's what is going on if such a system were brought in.
on the other site im referring to, none of the content is actually on the members section itself. its all links etc just like we have now eg pure humbug and all the mediafire files.

not that i am aware of the ins and outs of this field but i can only assume that makes a difference. its a little extra protection for the good people that put these things up for us.

but anyway, that kind of deviates from original point.
give it some sizzle..... and watch the cash role in!! lol :mrgreen::mrgreen:
"A Man And His Moofies"
"Ze Goggles...Zey do Nusink!!"
13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards »

I think the worry would be that the stuff on here - or even linked to from here - doesn't belong to anyone on here, and more importantly, the people it does belong to are aware of this site's existence.

While they might be cool with giveaways, charging for stuff (that is, making a profit from their work) might annoy them a little.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"
ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared »

I'm not too worried anymore about other sites 'leeching' from us now. Everything I've uploaded lately now has a watermark soundbite I've put in. So if other sites don't give CC credit or claim it's their own, & then upload it elsewhere, I can hear the mark I left behind and know it came from the upload on this forum. :)
Willsy
Commercial Crimestopper

Post by Willsy »

lets just keep things as is. I am happy to give a donation for running costs as the need arises, and so are others as has been demonstrate in this thread.

If Kim posts a reminder a bit earlier next year then its only going to take about $10 from 25 people to ensure 2011 is sorted. Surely we can rely on that from the CC community

Merry Christmas and thanks for all the contributions everyone has made this year.
"I remain very grateful to the listeners who liked what I was doing but considering the fact that Triple M pays some people a lot of money to maintain its low ratings, you can see where I didn’t fit in." Peter Grace
Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat »

I haven't contributed, sorry....
I am currently unemployed but as soon as I re-gain a regular income I would like to contribute something too. Great work to everyone that has coughed up some dough!
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)