Champagne Comedy running costs

Got any suggestions for this website? Contributions you'd like to make? Please post any website-related messages here.

Moderator: ShitScared

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball »

Mason Hell-Cat wrote:I haven't contributed, sorry....
I am currently unemployed but as soon as I re-gain a regular income I would like to contribute something too. Great work to everyone that has coughed up some dough!
I'm in the same boat, and will also add to the funding when I have a new job.
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball
kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim »

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and thanks again for all the contributions towards this year's running costs.

Charging a fee is interesting but I'd rather keep the forum free for now for reasons mentioned - and as someone said it doesn't necessarily keep the idiots away anyway :-D
I'm a thinker.... I thinka!
SeanRodger
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by SeanRodger »

I think this is the first time I've visited this month, so I haven't contributed yet. I will though as soon as my account is no longer on hold. Damn card skimming bastards!!
Lotsa lotsa music, and notsa notsa Get This.
anothermelbournite
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by anothermelbournite »

ShitScared wrote:I'm not too worried anymore about other sites 'leeching' from us now. Everything I've uploaded lately now has a watermark soundbite I've put in. So if other sites don't give CC credit or claim it's their own, & then upload it elsewhere, I can hear the mark I left behind and know it came from the upload on this forum. :)
Yeah, I toyed with ways of doing this back in the 2007, where Get This was a lot of farting around every day and was popping up everywhere, then I realised that the small amount of routine processing I was doing every day left enough of a mark, as it were, to be quickly recognisable if one was to take a very quick peek on a spectrum analyser.

Since then I've become a bit more philosophical about it. How many people have heard those files now, hey? And all because of some preservation nerd and a computer.
Marsland's got the Mazdas, the Fords, the Peugeots, and the Citroe...Audiiiiiiiis!
sjp
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by sjp »

Gladly donated (I only saw this thread today). CC is a constant source of entertainment and enjoyment for me, so I'm happy to contribute to its ongoing existence. :)
"Was that a rubber frying pan, Danny?"
kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim »

cheers sjp!!!! :-D
bigginsd
Muckraker

Post by bigginsd »

I have only just joined this forum but was more than happy to give $20 for it's upkeep, having already downloaded a swag of stuff from the members section (plus stuff from other sites that give thanks to members of this site, such as purehumbug.com).

As for the issue of members fees, I think you should stay away from that. Despite that none of the stuff shared on this site is available to buy from the copyright holders and pretty much all of us have bought the commercially available compilations that are already out there, there is still an issue of copyright.

If there's members fees, then there could be grounds for an argument that this site is charging money for other peoples copyrighted material. Also if you keep it to voluntary fund drives such as this it will mean that the people who get the most out of the site can give more (as they have), and the idea of people donating to a service they value is a better one than charging everyone a fee (even those who may contribute a lot to the forum, but may be unemployed or have other financial burdens). Also, slamming people with a joining fee will put a hell of a lot of people off (especially the people who think "asking for money over the internet = shonk").

The fact that you have raised the funds needed in just a few weeks also shows the present system is working. I just hope you didn't feel awkward about requesting donations, because clearly people are more than happy to help you out.
kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim »

Cheers bigginsd and welcome to the forum! I agree with all your points and am grateful for everyone's help in raising the costs. I also needed to pay for the forum software updates so your donation has just helped cover this at the right time!:-D
Estoband
Muckraker

Post by Estoband »

I'm new but already have a severe obsession with this site. More than happy to make a contribution.
kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim »

Welcome Estoband! Any contributions are appreciated but of course, I'm just glad to have you on board!
I'm sorry I haven't been able to keep up on the forums much myself now I have baby commitments... I am usually on Facebook catching up with people I can't really get to see that often anymore! :-D