Martin Molloy Live at Melbourne Town Hall

Got any suggestions for this website? Contributions you'd like to make? Please post any website-related messages here.

Moderator: ShitScared

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Martin Molloy Live at Melbourne Town Hall

Post by foolhardycousingeorge »

Kim,

Back in 1996, during the International Comedy Festival, Mick and Tony did a broadcast from Melbourne Town Hall.

I have a photo from this. The photo is dark, but Tony is recognisable, wearing his Achey Breaky Heart red shirt.

Though the quality isn't great, I was wondering if you would like me to scan the photo and email it to you?

Scott
".....that's what's ahead here on Martin Molloy; the only radio show with an inner core of sphagnum."
baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard »

It was bizarre thinking that while Tone and Mick did two radio phone ins, there was a audience of people sitting there not being able to participate because they were there in person and not on the phone. It must have made for strange viewing.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida
Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot »

I'd like to see the photo, foolhardy.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.
menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers »

Can someone fill me in on the whole Gillian Anderson on Martin Molloy thing? She came to Melbourne and was on M/M (I think I read a transcript of it on this site - Thankyou to that person), but more specifically she came to Southland. This was an amazing, amazing thing. No one in Centre Management had any idea that she was basically a Beatle shaking her mop from the balcony of Southern Cross Hotel, because the place went freakin' ballistic. I was there, and girls were being rushed to hospital Soccer crowd style. (A few weeks later they had Hanson appearing, they decided to relocate them to the carpark due to unprecedented numbers weeks before). I have a few photos that mainly demonstrate how colourless the mid 90's were, but she is sitting in front of a massive Fox sign and it was the afternoon. Was this a Martin/ Molloy broadcast? I'm ashamed to say I have no idea, I was only there for the Scully.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?
Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat »

I'll never forget the time that Tony and Mick said they were in Sydney for the ARIA (or one of them) awards one year and that they would be "broadcasting from a little caravan outside the theatre". So a mate of mine and I went searching all around the theatre, all through Central and nothing, nadda, zip. So we walked up to the theatre security (battling our way through boy band fans) and he looks us up and down and says:

Security guard: yes?
Me: Yeah we're here to see Tony Martin and Mick Molloy
SG: Do they know you're coming?
Me: Yeah sort of.....are they in there?
SG: [Looks his sheet up and down] Nope. They aren't even on the list.

Hmmm....so we walked away, kept listening while they're broadcasting, and eventually came to the conclusion that they were simply broadcasting from the 2DayFm studios. We were ropable.

(Funny in hindsight tho)
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)
baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard »

Yeah they weren't actually there. I think it came out during the broadcast. Gillian Anderson was interviewed on Martin - Molloy but it had nothing to do with that public appearance.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida
menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers »

Ok, thanks for that. I should have known really, if Tony was there he would occasionally mention it; it was a very freaky unforgettable event. A bit like an X File actually.
skel
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by skel »

I've got that town hall ep somewhere on tape. It had the scared weird little guys doing that only song they had...come to australia, you might accidently get killed.... And Tony makes at least 10 Supertramp jokes. Best bit was when Tony went into the crowd and says to a woman "What have you seen at the festival that impressed you" and she says "I've seen you two guys but are yet to be impressed". To which Mick loses it and laughs his arse off. The delivery was spot on. I'll see if i can dig it up.
Singo's a pooftah!

It's a new blog! Read it before I lose interest in it...
http://skelsmad.blogspot.com/http://www.skelsspew.blogspot.com
menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers »

Was that a random woman or Tony's wife? :smile:
baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard »

It's in the archive. It'll be here sooner or later!
- Jacques Derrida