30 Rock

Who are you people, anyway? New members and lurkers, reveal yourselves. Got any projects or announcements to make? This is all about you.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

RealInspectorShane
Brilliant, Brilliant

30 Rock

Post by RealInspectorShane »

Does anyone else on here watch this show? I recently imported the first season from the States and its really good. Might possibly be a premature call, but I like it that much that I'd rank it up there with Arrested Development--high praise I know. The writing blends witty dialogue, obscure references and a healthy dose of surrealism. (Like Alec Baldwin's character appearing as Thomas Jefferson on a dreamed Maury Provich episode http://youtube.com/watch?v=c2Z3kexzdZ0) Most of the reviews highlight Alec Baldwin's 'Jack Donaghy' as a standout, but the show currently has that sort of comedic depth where even the background characters are great (Dr. Spaceman's appearances in particular kill me, with his research into the dangerous effects of bread on the brain being blocked by the powerful bread lobby :D.) And to add to the fun, its set behind the chaotic scenes of a sketch comedy show.

Because its a quality show, it naturally hasn't aired here yet. Channel 7 have the rights, but they'll most likely bury it in a crummy time slot---it worked for Arrested, right? ;)
"Bugger the Institute Jock!"
RealInspectorShane
Brilliant, Brilliant

And what attempt to discuss and/or promote a show would be complete without handy quotes? They're probably better in context, but what can you do.

Liz
: Well, it was nice of you to let him keep his job.
Jack
: The Italians have a saying, Lemon. 'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer'. And although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct. In five years, we'll all either be working for him... or be dead by his hand.

Pete
: So, is Donaghy gonna be in the room again today?
Liz: Ugh. Probably, yeah.
Pete
: Well, you have to say something to him. You guys aren't getting any work done.
Liz
: Really? You don't think his idea of starting with the catchphrases and working backwards is panning out?

Jack: Lemon, I would like to teach you something. I would like to be Michelle Pfeiffer to your angry black kid who learns that poetry is just another way to rap.

Tracey: Doctor Spaceman, when they check my DNA, will they tell me what diseases I might get, or help me to remember my ATM pincode?
Dr. Spaceman
: Absolutely. Science is whatever we want it to be. I'll let you know as soon as we have the results.
Tracey: I already know the results, the kid is not mine!
Dr. Spaceman
: Boy it's crazy to think we used to settle questions of paternity by dunking a woman in water until she admitted she made it all up. Different time, the sixties.

:D
blastfm
Muckraker

Post by blastfm »

Apparently 30 rock will be aired in prime time, twice a week over summer. I doubt it will last very long on channel 7, all the good shows seem to be moved to a late night time slot very quickly :(
menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers »

oooh, great forward sizzle though. What is the premise of this show? Those quotes are hilarious. I'm glad we are getting it. Being a Boston Legal fan, I'm used to mistreatment. No publicity, poor timeslot, is better than only on Foxtel, waiting for your sweet homegirl with hook-ups to burn you Entourage, type situation.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?
RealInspectorShane
Brilliant, Brilliant

IMDB gives the one line (two and a half actually, but let's not quibble) plot outline:
Liz Lemon, head writer of the sketch comedy show "The Girlie Show", must deal with an arrogant new boss and a crazy new star, all while trying to run a successful TV show without losing her mind.
13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards »

blastfm wrote:Apparently 30 rock will be aired in prime time, twice a week over summer. I doubt it will last very long on channel 7, all the good shows seem to be moved to a late night time slot very quickly :(

Yay! Well, actually we all know that Seven will screw this show over, but I've heard some good things and I'd like to check a few episodes out before I buy the first season off the internet. So thanks Seven, for helping me to completely ignore you.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"
baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard »

I never watched the show because the premise sounded so flimsy and I dislike Baldwins of any form. I mean couldn't they just concentrate on writing decent sketches for SNL rather than write a spin off series? I meant to give it a look but with those two negatives, never got around to it. I think the torrents are up to season 3 at the moment?
RealInspectorShane
Brilliant, Brilliant

Torrents are up to Season 2, currently airing in the US. Its funny you mention the 'they should just concentrate on SNL sketches' thing. The few 'sketches' that appear within 30 Rock generally parody bad SNL bits, with a random sketch of robots fighting bears, for instance. :P
kylie1927
Commercial Crimestopper

Post by kylie1927 »

I agree that $even will bollocks this show.
This is an enjoyable show. It helps if you're a fan of SNL or at least have seen it a few times.
The highlight for me is Kenneth the page. A very funny character.
RealInspectorShane
Brilliant, Brilliant

This is going to start airing locally on December 3rd at the glamour slot of 10:30pm. Typical.