Othe comedy TV

Who are you people, anyway? New members and lurkers, reveal yourselves. Got any projects or announcements to make? This is all about you.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

chelsea
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by chelsea » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:05 pm

kim wrote:Chelsea: Matt Lucas and David Walliams were on Dame Edna's show here on Saturday which was quite humorous - there were a few knowing winks from the Dame when they discussed certain issues like being a lady. It was like three laydeez in one.

Wow! Really? What was the show called? We don't have any Dame Enda shows in Oz, I dont think. That would've been so cool! Do you like Little Britian, Kim?
"No, I don't know why it's called a Las Vegas wax but then again, it does involve hot wax and your genitals so I guess it's a bit of a gamble."

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:10 pm

chelsea wrote:Wow! Really? What was the show called? We don't have any Dame Enda shows in Oz, I dont think. That would've been so cool! Do you like Little Britian, Kim?
It's called The Dame Edna Treatment. It's a bit like the Dame Edna Experience shows from the late 80s, except it's set in a health spa run by Dame Edna and her daughter Valmai. Every week there are four celebrity guests. I think it's very funny, certainly the best comedy currently on British television.

I was lucky enough to be at the studio recording for the Lucas and Walliams episode. The other guests were Deborah Harry (she ended up singing One Way Or Another with Dame Edna at the end) and controversial former editor of The Mirror Piers Morgan. At the recording I thought it wasn't great (Lucas and Walliams seemed alternately nervous and over-the-top), but the edit came out very well.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.

kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:48 pm

Bean Is A Carrot wrote:It's called The Dame Edna Treatment. It's a bit like the Dame Edna Experience shows from the late 80s, except it's set in a health spa run by Dame Edna and her daughter Valmai. Every week there are four celebrity guests. I think it's very funny, certainly the best comedy currently on British television.

I was lucky enough to be at the studio recording for the Lucas and Walliams episode. The other guests were Deborah Harry (she ended up singing One Way Or Another with Dame Edna at the end) and controversial former editor of The Mirror Piers Morgan. At the recording I thought it wasn't great (Lucas and Walliams seemed alternately nervous and over-the-top), but the edit came out very well.

Wow Bean, I'm really jealous that you were in the audience. Did they give you the bath robe to keep, and the gladiola? It's such a funny show. Do they do goofs and have to redo bits?

I've been sending copies of it to my parents. I guess the guests had to be over the top in real life for it to show up entertaining on TV. Debbie Harry looks pretty good for her age (Blondie were the surprise guests at a Richard Branson Virgin party I went to a couple of months ago and they did a great performance).

Chelsea, I hope they show the Dame Edna Treatment in Oz - I might put a clip of it on You Tube but it's a bit faffy (and kind of illegal...).
I'm a thinker.... I thinka!

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:21 pm

kim wrote:Wow Bean, I'm really jealous that you were in the audience. Did they give you the bath robe to keep, and the gladiola? It's such a funny show. Do they do goofs and have to redo bits?
I got the tickets from http://www.sroaudiences.com, if you manage to get tickets make sure you turn up really early to ensure you get in as it's VERY popular. They give you the robe and you're supposed to give it back but I suppose you could shove it in your bag and walk off with it if you're cool about it. It's not a proper robe, though (it's a thin cotton mock-up) and there's no embroidered logo on it. The only people who get gladdies are the ones in the front and centre sections. If you're lucky enough to get one you can keep it.

They do very few re-takes because it's not a heavily scripted show, although it took Matt Lucas about 6 attempts to get the Tim Henman line right. Dame Edna has an autocue on which are written her questions and some ideas for "ad-libbed comebacks", which she comes out with depending on the guest's answer. It's fascinating to watch Barry Humphries doing the show, apart from the way he uses the vague script and comes up with his own ad-libs, he stays in character the entire time, even during the filming breaks.

chelsea
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by chelsea » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:09 pm

OMG Bean you're so lucky!!! That would be a great show!!!! It might be on UK-TV here, I'll have to check.
"No, I don't know why it's called a Las Vegas wax but then again, it does involve hot wax and your genitals so I guess it's a bit of a gamble."

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:26 pm

again torrents are your friend!

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:06 pm

baudrillard wrote:again torrents are your friend!
They're not my bloody friends, they won't work for me!

Anyway, you're getting The Dame Edna Treatment later in the year. Then you can record it on good old VHS like I did.

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:35 pm

From today's green Guide:
Dame Edna shares
The talk show that has UK audiences in stitches, The Dame Edna Treatment, will air on Nine from next Saturday, July 21 at 7.30pm. Shane Warne is among the celebs to slip into the megatsar housewife's spa in episode one.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:53 pm

Hmmm, I note you're getting a different running order to the UK.

ITV Dame Edna website here.

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:27 am

What do you think of it? I can't say I was much interseted in the guest list 'cept maybe David and Matt. But Michael Bolton?? eek. and other assorted "no thankyou" noises. Of course if it is hilarious then I'll tune in even though on that date I'll probably be a right mess sobbing "Oh no, Harry's dead!!". Did you ever see the opening ceremony to the Commonwealth Games? That song he did was absolute gold, champagne comedy in fact.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?