Othe comedy TV

Who are you people, anyway? New members and lurkers, reveal yourselves. Got any projects or announcements to make? This is all about you.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:46 pm

You have to remember that a Dame Edna fronted chat show is not a normal chat show. It's not about getting the guests to say interesting things, like on Parkinson. It's about Dame Edna ripping them to schreds. So you're actually better off with 'crap' guests. Also, I thought the Little Britain stuff was one of the worst segments in the series. Although I'm probably tained because I saw that one recorded, where it was even longer.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.

roofromoz
Muckraker

Post by roofromoz » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:20 am

My personal favourites:

* The Simpsons
* Monty Python's Flying Circus
* Arrested Development (top shelf comedy!)
* The Michallef Program (as close to Monty Python style comedy in Australia I have seen)
* Big Train (absurd British show made earlier this decade - my favourite was the 43rd World Stare Out Championships)

I also saw this show last night on ABC2 called Spaced. It was written by Simon Pegg (from Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz fame). Quite off the wall, but freaking hilarious. And even better - no laugh track!
... and just a reminder, Peter Russell Clarke has a new video, "101 Things To Do With A Carrot". I thought of a 102nd, but he wasn't too receptive...

ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:18 pm

roofromoz - I think there's something in the water at Camden... as that's exactly my tastes too (I was born in Camden)... except Big Train. Never seen it. In replacement, I'll put in Scrubs.
Blog
Now with EXTRA teabagging.
VALE Ricky M

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:13 pm

EEEW! Scrubs is no Big Train.

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:30 am

Dame straight - Scrubs is great (for the first few years at least), while Big Train is... okay, it's pretty good too (for the first season at least). Put another way, you can find one or two better UK sketch shows than Big Train, but there isn't a better US live-action cutaway-packed cartoon than Scrubs... until it starts to lose it around season four.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:53 am

Season 7 is rumoured to be the last season of Scrubs.. there's only so many morals left to cover and so many times JD and Elliot can get it on... ;)
Blog
Now with EXTRA teabagging.
VALE Ricky M

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:11 pm

Took me a LONG time to like Scrubs. Basically I found Green Wing - a UK medical based comedy to be infintely superior. It makes Scrubs look like shite by comparison.

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:32 pm

Really? Green Wing? I guess we're after different things from our medical comedies. I have a soft spot for US sitcoms when they're done well - the US version of The Office is close to being my fave comedy show of the moment - so perhaps my judgement is not to be trusted in this area.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:07 am

Oh yes, The Office had me in hysterics this week! I underestimated that show I must say, but after rewatching Anchorman this weekend, I realised I shouldn't have doubted the genius of Carrell.

I saw Green Wing a bit, I didn't get into it, not in the way I love Scrubs. Scrubs is just silly fun, I don't mind the way it's gone after series four. Love the relationship stuff! Then again, don't get me started on how much of a Let the Blood Run Free tragic I was. I was punished severely when my Dad found out how many times I had rung in and voted.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:54 am

The US Office is okay but I really love the Swedish version ;) You should have given Green Wing more of a go, the way they sped up the vision often at times was hillariously beautiful. The characters are better and it was nice to see what people from series' like Spaced and Hippies were doing these days. It was from the writers of Smack the Pony, so again, a good thing. Much more interesting than the repetitive storylines that Scrubs produces such as J.D's failed love life OVER AND OVER AND OVER again.