Othe comedy TV

Who are you people, anyway? New members and lurkers, reveal yourselves. Got any projects or announcements to make? This is all about you.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Othe comedy TV

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:27 am

I've been watching reruns of Kingswood Country on Seven 2.

I can see what you mean by the writers of this show making fun of Australian culture. The character of Bruno, for example. Thirty years ago, I didn't appreciate how this was digging at Anglo Australian perceptions of the children of postwar European migrants.

Some didn't appreciate that they'd grow up to become just as Australian as Anglo children.

The writers really had fun with this. Bruno makes his entrance into the Bullpitt home, and greets Ted and Thelma with a;

"Gooday, cobber."

I enjoyed Home Improvement. I haven't seen any episodes of The Red Green Show. I'll have to see if I can find any clips from it on Youtube. Having visited Canada, I think I have a good grasp of the Canadian sense of humour.

Steve wrote:yeah, Kingswood Country was very funny and really pulled the p*ss out of aussie culture, but yes it did have a limited life span. as for Seinfeld, I personally loved it, and I think one of the measures of a good comedy is how it has an effect on popular culture. Maybe not at the time, but looking back, I think it had a certain uniqueness about it. But that's my opinion.

for what it's worth, here are some of my more memorable shows from 1991 - 1994 - (my champagne years)

- Seinfeld
- Northern Exposure
- Home Improvement - got a bit tired towards the end also
- The X-Files - I think one of the few shows where fans really took advantage of the internet to talk about a TV show.
- The Red Green Show - from Canada - anyone watched this little gem!
".....that's what's ahead here on Martin Molloy; the only radio show with an inner core of sphagnum."