Late Show Locations

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Mon May 02, 2011 7:42 pm

I'm pretty sure the infamous endless train crossing is also out Northcote way. And usually with TV shows they try to film as much outdoor stuff as close to each other as they can, so I reckon if you trawled Melbourne's north you'd probably spot a fair few locations.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

Pete the Clown
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by Pete the Clown » Mon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm

The Cabana Motel where Glenn Twenty go to "The Headache Suite" is located in Park Street, St Kilda. I track it down one day about 2-3 years ago after listening the commentary of Bargearse knowing that still existed.
"I'm drinking out of someone elses coffee mug."

stupidmeatball
Champagne Comedian

Post by stupidmeatball » Mon May 02, 2011 10:56 pm

The bain-marie "Robo-Bargearse" targets on is in the ABC cafeteria (also where the sugar scene in Bad Eggs was filmed), that's the extent of my knowledge.
Now a'Tweetin'.
scrivenersfancy Someone has finally loaded the 'Late Show' Commercial Crimestoppers on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/stupidmeatball

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Late Show Locations- Things of Stone and Wood parody

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:29 pm

I've watched the D-Gen's parody of Things of Stone and Wood's Happy Birthday Helen, which began with the lyrics;

'How could I forget that day,
Yeah, how we walked along the Yarra.'

For the benefit of non - Melburnians, here's a list of the locations that are mentioned, and appear in Just Run out of Melbourne cliches.

Firstly, the Nylex clock sits atop old malting storage silos next to the North bank of the Yarra, near the Monash Freeway.

The 'walk along the Yarra' was on a bike and pedestrian path found in the Alexandra Gardens.

Jason Stephens rides a bike on an overpass near the Palais Theatre in St Kilda.

The walk from the MCG to the Tennis Centre takes place in Yarra Park.

The Block Arcade is in Elizabeth Street.

The 96 Tram is shot going down Bourke Street, passing in front of the Coles Variety Store. Today, a Target store is on this site.

The You Yangs are mountains near a town called Little River, southwest of Melbourne.

The Victorian Tourist Bureau was in Collins Street.

The 'kiosk at the end of a pier' is in St Kilda.

Captain Cook's Cottage can be found in the Fitzroy Gardens, off Wellington Parade in West Melbourne.
".....that's what's ahead here on Martin Molloy; the only radio show with an inner core of sphagnum."

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Late Show Locations- Things of Stone and Wood parody

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:56 pm

foolhardycousingeorge wrote:I've watched the D-Gen's parody of Things of Stone and Wood's Happy Birthday Helen, which began with the lyrics;

'How could I forget that day,
Yeah, how we walked along the Yarra.'

For the benefit of non - Melburnians, here's a list of the locations that are mentioned, and appear in Just Run out of Melbourne cliches.

Firstly, the Nylex clock sits atop old malting storage silos next to the North bank of the Yarra, near the Monash Freeway.

The 'walk along the Yarra' was on a bike and pedestrian path found in the Alexandra Gardens.

Jason Stephens rides a bike on an overpass near the Palais Theatre in St Kilda.

The walk from the MCG to the Tennis Centre takes place in Yarra Park.

The Block Arcade is in Elizabeth Street.

The 96 Tram is shot going down Bourke Street, passing in front of the Coles Variety Store. Today, a Target store is on this site.

The You Yangs are mountains near a town called Little River, southwest of Melbourne.

The Victorian Tourist Bureau was in Collins Street.

The 'kiosk at the end of a pier' is in St Kilda.

CORRECTION TO MY PREVIOUS POST

Captain Cook's Cottage can be found in the Fitzroy Gardens, off Wellington Parade in East Melbourne.
Sorry for my careless typing.
".....that's what's ahead here on Martin Molloy; the only radio show with an inner core of sphagnum."

Feng
Muckraker

Post by Feng » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:34 pm

I feel weird replying to a two year old post but wanted to do it for the record:
sange wrote:The Bolt Bloke was on Hume Highway/Sydney Road in Campbellfield. They must have started therre and just driven up Sydney Road stopping when they found something interesting.
The Bolt Bloke is now Coventry Fasteners. Here's the location from the shoot: http://goo.gl/maps/NZFf
sange wrote: Has Dashboard Doctor always been on Sydney Road though? I have a vague memory of seeing it in Grantham Street Brunswick...
Looks like it's still there! It's aged well for 20 years: http://goo.gl/maps/yU4u
Jesus Christ! It's Philip Brady!

Nickamc
Muckraker

Re: Late Show Locations

Post by Nickamc » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:12 pm

Job Warehouse has officially shut up shop as of October 2012, I work next door at Play DVD and Music. There's some incredible stories about the history of that place, apparently the family that owns it owns most of the buildings on that end of Bourke st, and has crime connections. No wonder they didn't want a camera crew in there in the 90's!

rdmcphee
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by rdmcphee » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:41 pm

I lived in that area for a few years and regularly drove down Sydney Road, but never saw the Dashboard Doctor.

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Re: The Bolt Bloke

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Back in 1998, I was working in a stationery store/ maintenance department at a University.

I used to see invoices from The Bolt Bloke. By this time, The Bolt Bloke logo had changed. The anthropomorphic bolt figure had been replaced by some abstract looking symbol.

Feng wrote:I feel weird replying to a two year old post but wanted to do it for the record:
sange wrote:The Bolt Bloke was on Hume Highway/Sydney Road in Campbellfield. They must have started therre and just driven up Sydney Road stopping when they found something interesting.
The Bolt Bloke is now Coventry Fasteners. Here's the location from the shoot: http://goo.gl/maps/NZFf
sange wrote: Has Dashboard Doctor always been on Sydney Road though? I have a vague memory of seeing it in Grantham Street Brunswick...
Looks like it's still there! It's aged well for 20 years: http://goo.gl/maps/yU4u

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:38 pm

A few days ago, I visited Bermagui, as referred to in the Warren Perso film, Bermagui Bronze, in Tony Martin's sketch, The Last Aussie Auteur.

Bermagui is a small town on the south coast of New South Wales.

I was not in Bermagui long enough to find whether there is a surf life saving club there, or for that matter, an annual iron man contest in which gold, silver, or bronze medals are awarded.