Classic feature article on Tony and Mick

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:09 pm

You used to listen to breakfast??????? What was that like? The one CD they put out is so random it's hard to tell what it was like! Tell us more menagers!

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:18 am

Oh my God, baudrillard, where do I begin? They started on the radio just as it became necessary for me to set my alarm for 7am and actually get up and get organised. The start of Year 7 (although there may have been some Grade 6 gear with Michael Veitch - now there's a man who needs reminding of just how fabulous he is). The dates and stuff are all over Steve's cool site anyway.

I listened to it everyday throughout high school, and it only stopped when they went and did the Late Show and by that time I had hit VCE (the dreaded experimental years, of VCE that is, not, like of my sexual orientation or anything), Yrs 11 and 12. It started when I was wide eyed and impressionable, and made it through those awkward Yr 9 stages with me. The only time I faltered slightly was when I saw them on the Comedy Festival Gala in Yr 10 (1991), not the one on the D-Gen tape the one after I think. I could not get over how uggers they all were, pudgy, hairy, bemulleted. My friend and I were so embarassed, being at the height of our adoration for Rik&Ade et. al., DAAS and the Found Objects, all highly attractive beings, we seriously thought we'd been backing the wrong horse. I don't think they were that funny either, same sort of court thing they trotted out the last year and an extraordinary amount of corpsing. This is relevant because we were all very luke warm when Season 1 started, we just kept on having our Young Ones slumber parties on Saturday night, they just didn't rate. Hence our VHS collections became appallingly incomplete and soon we were kicking ourselves.

Memories of Triple M

Interestingly, I don't remember Jason at all. Mick, I remember because he would do those TLS style rants with the fire extinguisher/men in white coats. I think he did a TV wrap up too. There are lots of memories of their quizzes, very like TLS quiz (which they admit to), in particular the 'what is the next line in the song?'. Without a doubt the funniest one was 'Blinded by the Light', lots more scope on morning radio for that. Tommy G and the Fatman seemed to keep the whole thing together (their microphones were louder). There was heaps of Wayne from St. Albans, and Gino gear. I'm sure it was them who actually invented the Desperate and Dateless Ball, I remember them broadcasting from the first one. But by far, my fondest memories are Graham and the Colonel, the thing that would make me late for school all the time (I had to ride two suburbs). They always seemed to be doing handball comps and of course the score was always "SEVEN!". That is straight through the i-diddle-diddle for northern cousins. Ah, such a big part of my life....
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:16 pm

I just read Colin Lane (of Lano and Woodley) speaking about acting in a new production of Don's Party in the Sydney Morning Herald from last week. And I just thought I have to quote this in relation to what Mick has said about not wanting to work with Tone so closely anymore as it's a very parallel situation here.

The article reads: "After 20 years of improviation and sketch comedy one-on-one, the thrill of no longer being defined by a second person was liberating."

And later he is quoted as saying:

"As much as I love Frank and still will love him for a long time, the sound of his voice makes me physicall ill. I didn't miss him that much."

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

Classic feature article on Tony and Mick

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:06 am

This article was a great read. Thanks for posting it.

I have to pick at one minor detail (if just to establish my credentials as a competent proof reader/ fact checker / sub editor).

The writer of this article stated that Martin Molloy began in 1994. According to 'Comic duo sign off on a high', a Herald Sun article from November 1998 that I scrapbooked, Martin Molloy was first heard on radio in April 1995.
".....that's what's ahead here on Martin Molloy; the only radio show with an inner core of sphagnum."

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:29 pm

Yeah I noticed that too. That's really silly that they got something so basic wrong.

swansrule100
Muckraker

Post by swansrule100 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:12 pm

it always annoyed me i never got to hear the martin molloy show on radio here.

baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:19 pm

It was broadcast there for a period but they axed it to be honest. I remember they discussed it on air.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida

swansrule100
Muckraker

Post by swansrule100 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:15 pm

baudrillard wrote:It was broadcast there for a period but they axed it to be honest. I remember they discussed it on air.
yeh was on in hobart but i was stuck in launceston. I did hear it down there once or twice and then when i was interstate.

Shirty, yes that's me
Muckraker

Post by Shirty, yes that's me » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:32 pm

Kennedy questions the appropriateness of the description "blokey" for Molloy. "He likes sport and alcohol and going out, which are things I like, too," she says.

hahhaha thats why i love Jane!!