Tony Martin on Your Gen tomorrow *Notification*

For anything to do with Tony Martin - Get This, Martin/Molloy, Lolly Scramble, fan mail...

Moderator: ShitScared

RealInspectorShane
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by RealInspectorShane »

sjp wrote:I used to love this show, and now I can't really watch it. This season feels like a mediocre quiz show meets It's A Knockout.

(I know this will incite flames - I don't mean to - I just think the quality has declined since it started.)
Possibly because the network decided to put more emphasis on the parts of the show that aren't Shaun? You know, you have a show people enjoy for good banter, so they decide to focus more on the zany end games instead.
"Bugger the Institute Jock!"
Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot »

I've never liked this, it's a waste of Micallef's talents. Why can't people in Australian television let the talent put together a show and then broadcast that? Why do they have to create formats that literally anyone could host?
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.
baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard »

Thanks Bean.

Would it have been better if they'd only done one series or two with less episodes?
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida
13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards »

From an upcoming interview with Shaun a friend did, Shaun seems to feel that his solo stuff doesn't have mainstream appeal. It's a real shame (esp. as he may be right).

He also said that he and the writers have pretty much hijacked the show and are doing something close to whatever they like with it at the moment. So maybe Shaun (and the producers) felt they had to take things up a notch?
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"
Curlytek
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Curlytek »

I think a lot of the stuff on TAYG is pure Micallef, even if it is toned down for the mainstream audient.
Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot »

Curlytek wrote:I think a lot of the stuff on TAYG is pure Micallef, even if it is toned down for the mainstream audient.

I agree, but it's too toned-down for me. It's a massive shame as Micallef's the best Australian comedy talent to have emerged in the 90s, and still one of the best currently on Australian TV.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.
Ontos
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by Ontos »

I only found out the other day that they were planning to continue Newstopia until there was scheduling difficulties with TAYG. That just makes me dislike TAYG even more. It's not crap micallef's bits are good, but it's such a waste of his potential. I'd rather have one new ep of newstopia than an entire season of TAYG. Although if it leads to Shaun getting to do a project he wants it's not such a bad thing, but going by recent comments and the reception to his New Years Rave I doubt he'll get to do anything very "Shaun".
and calling it policy!
baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard »

To be honest, I don't know what you're all complaining about. You knew the format of this going in. And I complained about what the format would mean as soon as we heard of the project. I didn't want to be negative about Shaun's work for no good reason. Didn't any of you see this coming?

Commercial TV is awful for most comedians at the best of times. :(
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida
Ontos
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by Ontos »

baudrillard wrote: Didn't any of you see this coming?(
Yeah

We were just curious if someone as good as Shaun could make the format enjoyable (I couldn't think of anyone better then him to try) for any extended period of time, and now we know for sure.
and calling it policy!
YMV
Champagne Comedian

Post by YMV »

sjp wrote:I used to love this show, and now I can't really watch it. This season feels like a mediocre quiz show meets It's A Knockout.

(I know this will incite flames - I don't mean to - I just think the quality has declined since it started.)
No flames: Shaun introduced the show as "a cross between QI & It's a Knockout" this week...
Shaun Micallef on radio, the complete (ish) eps: Shaun, Beverley and Denise
Latest ep: 10 May 06 (23 Oct 2011)
Micallef ephemera
Youtube
'I'll Explain Later'